Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For subclass 189 AUS PR

I need to give English test once again to get 10 or 20 points from it.

Which one I should give PTE - A or IELTS General?

I gave IELTS twice ---

Below are my scores

1st attempt - R: 8.5 S:7.5 L:8 W:5.5 (This score will not allow me to apply)

2nd attempt - R:8 S:7.5 L:7.5 W:6 (This score will allow me to apply but no points)

Please suggest thinking of moving towards PTE - A ?

·
Registered
973 Posts
hi Banerj,
Read through the PTE - A thread on this forum. Many people switched over to PTE after failing to attain good scores in IELTS.
looking at your IELTS score it seems you are good but only lack in writing skills.
I guess if you take PTE you can attain 65 in Writing easily.

Practice makes you perfect and I would suggest practicing more on Essays. Key is to summarise everything within the word limit.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Numerous threads existing on this topic with Pros & Cons listed out. Use the search function to look for the threads and go through.

·
Registered
112 Posts
PTE -A is much easy. Book within 15 days. result within 3 days. No frustrating wait period like IELTS gives.

__________________________________________________ _ _______
Skilled - Subclass 190 | Developer Programmer - 261312

14/02/2015 - ACS App. Submitted
19/02/2015 - ACS +ve Outcome
01/05/2015 - ILETS Results (L-6, R-7, W-6.5, S-6 | Overall - 6.5)
08/05/2015 - EOI Submitted 55 pts

Next Steps
XX/08/2015 - Invite | :fingerscrossed::confused2:
XX/08/2015 - App. submitted
XX/09/2015 - PCC | Health | Documents uploaded
XX/09/2015 - Visa Grant

·
Registered
72 Posts
PTE-A ..what else!

I scored full marks in that in my first attempt.. So, I highly recommend that..

Reactions: rnaveenbe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PTE-A ..what else!

Thats wonderful Koushik

Can you please tell me the best material for practice.

I am confused with Macmilan or PTE - A kit for $39/59?

I really want work hard but dont know where to start from.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

PTE-A seems to be the HOT CAKE these days...

People are able to secure more points easily.

* Easy to secure TEST Dates within a months time
* Quick Results

IELTS the OLD English Language Test seems to loose its Proprietorship for IMMI purposes after DIBP roped in other tests LIKE PTE....

People often complain that they receive good marks in 3 sections but are under-marked in 1 section.

* Very difficult to secure test date, have to wait or nearly 2 months (in India)
* Results after 13 days of exam

BOTTOM line is that, you would have to prepare properly irrespective of the exam you would be taking up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Necessarily not true for everyone. I would say the booking part is much easy in PTE A and the scoring part is sometime illogical and nasty. Because everything is judged through software (Versant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Being said that, I am not a British Council or IDP fan who is forcing you to choose IELTS.
As per my experience Pearson software to evaluate essay and written text is utterly dumb Automated essay scoring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and that's why people who fail to get required score in IELTS writing find PTE a life save (including me). What I feel if writing is only problem then definitely choose PTE A, it mostly proves a better choice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I scored a perfect 8 in my second attempt in IELTS but still I would say IELTS is a very unfair test and both the British council and idp have set the lowest possible benchmark in customer service in India atleast. I had to bear this unfair treatment silently as this was a mandatory test for non native speakers. I can say that they have zero percent transparency in every process right from slot booking to test conduct to evaluation And even for revaluation.One feels like this is the last operating unit of the British east india company in India. Sorry if it sounds like a rant. But just wanted to warn visa aspirants from the obvious trap

·
Registered
156 Posts
i have the same problem, did ielts twice, easily got 7+ for speaking listening and reading, but for writing I got 6 and 6.5. I already booked PTE in june, just want to have a try, if my pte score is far worse than ielts, i will take my 3rd ielts test

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thats wonderful Koushik

Can you please tell me the best material for practice.

I am confused with Macmilan or PTE - A kit for $39/59?

I really want work hard but dont know where to start from.
Go to pte thread. You can get materials shared for free.

·
Registered
40 Posts
PTE-A ..what else!

Hi rkoushik2000,

I am also planning to write PTE - A in Chennai. Could you please share more details and your preparation strategy/experience for this exam:).

Thanks,
Naveen

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have the same problem, did ielts twice, easily got 7+ for speaking listening and reading, but for writing I got 6 and 6.5. I already booked PTE in june, just want to have a try, if my pte score is far worse than ielts, i will take my 3rd ielts test
Hi,

I am also planning to take PTE A test. Can u tell me When is your test date in June and where you are going to attend the test

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am new here and want to apply for immigration. Can you people who recently got approval from ACS share ur experience regarding assessment result. I have 9+ yrs experience and I heard that ACS don't consider atleast 2yrs experience , reason being its used to reach to skill level... can anyone just share his/her assessment result.. I will be very thankful if you can share ur reference letter content/wording. and what documents you have sent to ACS , as lot of people are mentioning that their experience is not considered with insufficient document as explanation . Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi Banerj,
Read through the PTE - A thread on this forum. Many people switched over to PTE after failing to attain good scores in IELTS.
looking at your IELTS score it seems you are good but only lack in writing skills.
I guess if you take PTE you can attain 65 in Writing easily.

Practice makes you perfect and I would suggest practicing more on Essays. Key is to summarise everything within the word limit.
Wow.. your PTE-A marks are awesome . I need to get 8 each in IELTS or 79 each for PTE, which one do you suggest IELTS or PTE-A? Would you be able to send me some study materials for PTE. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is anybody writing PTE in nov 2015 in Gurgaon/Delhi? Probably we can team up and practice

·
Registered
113 Posts
I will be at the side of PTE and definitely not IELTS for ever.

Based on your score in IELTS, you can easily get a top score in IELTS which will get you 20 points straight away.

Go for PTE. All the best!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I will be at the side of PTE and definitely not IELTS for ever.

Based on your score in IELTS, you can easily get a top score in IELTS which will get you 20 points straight away.

Go for PTE. All the best!
You mean to say "Based on your score in IELTS, you can easily get a top score in PTE?"""...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi dude need your help

I am impressed.
I gave pte 2 times in first attempt I lacked 5 points in reading and in second attempt I got less in writing and listening.
Can you please guide me how to score good marks in pte or should I try ielts
Please pm me with guidance and study material
PTE-A ..what else!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts