Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Announcement from the Cultural Mobility Information Network:

Cda-Projects Grant has been offering a 10,000 Euro grant annually since 2011 to support the production of an artistic research project. The grant aims at supporting and opening up discussions on artistic research to an expanded network through an open call. It encourages speculative approaches to how discourse is staged and how knowledge is produced, rethought and interwoven across disciplines. Without any limitations on the content, the proposed inquiries are expected to suggest new forms and methodologies by reflecting on contexts and conditions of the knowledge produced.
Your turn ...

·
Registered
22,369 Posts

Your turn ...
You didn't make that up?? :D

I'm now browsing a book I've just received, 'The Wagner Compendium'. There are a few choice passages I could offer, but how's this:

In the embryonic theory of 'leitmotif' sketched out in the seminal 'Opera and Drama', Part Three, Wagner described a motivic network of orchestral 'melody' related to a dramatic vocal line in a system of narrative 'tenses' as it were: past, present and future. The 'present tense' of a dramatic musical motif would correspond to the moment of semantic definition, the presentation of a musical idea in immediate connection with a certain name, gesture or idea.

There are pages of this kind of stuff....It's a hefty volume and I wondered why it cost only 99p (used) from amazon.uk. Having got as far as Chapter Two, I now know.

I'm just going to chuck the book away and listen to the music...I'm a great Wagner fan and listen to one of his operas on my IPad whilst walking Xena..

·
Registered
19,386 Posts

Your turn ...
I would like to refer the Cultural Mobility Information Network firstly to The Plain English Campaign who...
since 1979, we have been campaigning against gobbledygook, jargon and misleading public information. We have helped many government departments and other official organisations with their documents, reports and publications. We believe that everyone should have access to clear and concise information.

About us

And secondly to websites such as
Carlton Farm Children's hospice
Charlton Farm - Children

OR
The Amber Foundation: the charity for homeless & unemployed young adults

OR
Respect

so that they can confirm that there are many other organisations that would be able to put that money to good use!

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Please tell me it's not public money?
No, I don't think it is...
But even so, wasting money on pseudo crap when there are others who are so in need is just not "right" somehow.

Still I suppose it must make someone, somewhere happy:)

·
Registered
3,295 Posts

Your turn ...
Sadly, I have failed to understand most of the big words in the article ( such as discourse,methodologies and several others) I did get the point that 10,000 euros is up for grabs every year
Therefore...working within the parameters of " Without any limitations on the content, the proposed inquiries are expected to suggest new forms and methodologies by reflecting on contexts and conditions of the knowledge produced. " I seem to have done all that.... now gimme der money:mad2:

·
Registered
896 Posts
What, in the name of all that's holy, are they blathering on about?:confused:

I hate bollox like that, pretentious twaddle ...... and if any person says to me again that they network with someone, and I'm not a violent man, I will slap them.

Lots of love,

Grumpy Doggy from Almeria

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
What, in the name of all that's holy, are they blathering on about?:confused:

I hate bollox like that, pretentious twaddle ...... and if any person says to me again that they network with someone, and I'm not a violent man, I will slap them.

Lots of love,

Grumpy Doggy from Almeria
Whilst one can appreciate this form of communication may well add some depth to the discussion,one has to point out that it does lack a certian subtle overtures, hence one has the view point that ripping the pompous R Sole's leg off and beating them to death with the soggy end...... is somewhat more direct in getting the point across

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
You can just see the No-Nothing pencil necks sitting around their reclaimed table putting together this communicate & feeling all proud of themselves whilst sipping perrier. :mmph:

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's one you can have some fun with:

artybollocks generator
Do you hate having to write your own artist statement? Generate your own artist statement for free, and if you don't like it, generate another one. Feel free to use the statements with funding applications, exhibitions, curriculum vitae, websites ...

Instant artist statement: Arty Bollocks Generator

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Love it!!!

How about this about the work of Rothko. It's a real piece from The Guardian.

The Rothko murals at Tate Modern are lovely in their oppression, erotic in their cruelty. These are paintings that seem to exist on the skin inside an eyelid. They are what you imagine might be the last lights, the final flickers of colour that register in a mind closing down. Or at the end of the world. "Apocalyptic wallpaper" was a phrase thrown at Rothko's kind of painting as an insult. It is simply a description; the apocalypse is readable in these paintings like a pattern in wallpaper - abstract, pleasurable horror.
Here are two of these murals, they are priceless...

I don't get it. I would rather have Hilda Ogden's "murial" on my wall complete with three flying ducks.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
one of my favourite quotes:

'One should each day try to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture and, if it is possible, speak a few reasonable words'. Goethe

To do those simple but oh so necessary things seems more and more difficult to do in a world where so much 'art' is, basically, ****.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Land of Woo is another rich source of pseudery. How about this? (Insert your preferred alternative therapy where indicated by the asterisks).

***** is a specific type of subtle energy work in which healing is performed by the touch of the hands, allowing the flow of the energy from a limitless source (God Force) to the patient via the practitioner. It is extremely powerful, yet gentle energy that can be easily channelled to yourself and others, just by intention.

***** healing is a pure energy form. When it is combined with the sincere Desire of the Healee, who is willing to effect a cleansing within their emotional and spiritual consciousness, a total healing can occur.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
The Land of Woo is another rich source of pseudery. How about this? (Insert your preferred alternative therapy where indicated by the asterisks).
I really hate all that New Age touchy-feely stuff. A good friend, in his late forties, many relationships but never married, a dyed-in-the-wool-Marxist-trades unionist has last week married a woman who makes a living out of that kind of stuff. I think it's called 'misery-lit'? You know, writing about how dreadful your childhood was, your journey into drug/alcohol-fuelled hell, how I discovered my inner spirituality and became the whole,integrated person I am today' and all that ****e. She offers'healing therapies' and 'holistic ways to spiritual and physical health' which include my pet bete-noire, Reiki.
Mind you she's not that 'other worldly' as she has turned herself into a Limited Company.
I cannot imagine how two people with such fundamentally diverging world views could live together for one week without physical violence at least to inanimate objects, let alone get married.

Can you imagine them discussing strike action? 'Darling, all you need to do is find the right mantra and to direct your healing psychic energy beams towards that photo of David Cameron. There's no need for all that spiritually-draining marching, chanting and placard waving...It's so bad for your karma....:rolleyes:'

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a Turkish bath at the Hammam in Chiclana the other day. One of the delights on offer was "Chromatherapy". The Spanish text was all about how you can improve your health by bathing yourself in coloured light - pure woo. But for the English translation they had simply cut-and-pasted the first paragraph of Wikipedia:
Chromotherapy, sometimes called color therapy, colorology or cromatherapy, is a complementary medicine method. Trained chromotherapists claim to be able to use light in the form of color to balance "energy" wherever a person's body be lacking, whether it be on physical, emotional, spiritual, or mental levels. The practice is pseudoscientific, since it does not employ the scientific method.

Color therapy is distinct from other types of light therapy, such as ultraviolet blood irradiation, which are scientifically-accepted medical treatments for a number of conditions,[1] and from photobiology, the scientific study of the effects of light on living organisms.

Color therapy has been advocated as a cure for many illnesses, however research has shown it has no effect.
Much more honest but not such a good sales pitch! Nevertheless the baths and massage were totally wonderful.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Your Arty Bollocks Generator reminds me of the Deepak Chopra Quote Generator.

Deepak Chopra is one of the high priests of woo and talks utter nonsense but is extremely wealthy through people hanging on his every word.

Have a go - it won't take long for you to get to something like "Quantum love transcends earthly sensitivities"

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your Arty Bollocks Generator reminds me of the Deepak Chopra Quote Generator.

Deepak Chopra is one of the high priests of woo and talks utter nonsense but is extremely wealthy through people hanging on his every word.

Have a go - it won't take long for you to get to something like "Quantum love transcends earthly sensitivities"
Love it! May have to change my signature to "Knowledge imparts reality to exponential brightness". :D

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Love it! May have to change my signature to "Knowledge imparts reality to exponential brightness". :D
Hmm....in my case 'You are what you eat', albeit lacking in spiritual depth, may be more aposite as a signature..:(

All this woo tripe is sad, though, don't you think? It must be proof of the fact that no-one really has any deep beliefs any more and people are feeling kind of adrift, looking for some meaning to life.. As the arch-pseuds, the Post-Modernists proclaimed' The age of meta-narratives is over'.

I'm stopping now before I place myself in Pseuds Corner..

Alca..as a cat lover you will be pleased to know that OH is now every night feeding at least eight cats who live around the Instituto, at least three cats who live in our garden and a podenco who lives by the village sewage works and who follows us when we walk our dogs each night.

The aim is to catch, neuter and return all of these 'wild' creatures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts