Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I want to apply for PRP based on critical skills (I graduated from UCT in a critical skills category in 2011)
Which option do I pick on the VFS website?

1)
Application type: Waiver
Application sub type: PRP-Waiver
Application sub type category: PRP-Waiver

OR

2)
Application type: Permanent Residence Permit
Application sub type: PRP
Application sub type category: [They dont give an option here]

Thanks for help on this.

·
Registered
Lives in Cape Town, South Africa. Originally from Harare, Zimbabwe.
253 Posts
Hi All,

I want to apply for PRP based on critical skills (I graduated from UCT in a critical skills category in 2011)
Which option do I pick on the VFS website?

1)
Application type: Waiver
Application sub type: PRP-Waiver
Application sub type category: PRP-Waiver

OR

2)
Application type: Permanent Residence Permit
Application sub type: PRP
Application sub type category: [They dont give an option here]

Thanks for help on this.
The application process is the same as normal 27(b) PRP, you just need to attach the waiver document found on the VFS site. PRP applications are currently not open which is why you can't select.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The application process is the same as normal 27(b) PRP, you just need to attach the waiver document found on the VFS site. PRP applications are currently not open which is why you can't select.
So no PRP applications at all? Or the Waiver one is the only one available for now? (Just for clarity, the waiver is for people who graduated from SA universities in a critical skill category right?)

·
Registered
253 Posts
So no PRP applications at all? Or the Waiver one is the only one available for now? (Just for clarity, the waiver is for people who graduated from SA universities in a critical skill category right?)
No, VFS is not accepting any PRP applications right now. Yes, the waiver is for SA graduates in critical skills areas.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What I heard is DHA is working on an update of Critical Skills List and target is to announce it in the mid-November. I believe they won't open up any PRP applications at least until then.

·
Registered
253 Posts
What I heard is DHA is working on an update of Critical Skills List and target is to announce it in the mid-November. I believe they won't open up any PRP applications at least until then.
The rumour has been around for 2 years now but it's unrelated to the PRP application closures, which were introduced to manage the backlog of lockdown-expired visas before dealing with long-term permits. PRPs and CSVs use the very same critical skills list and CSV applications are currently open with the existing list.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rumour has been around for 2 years now but it's unrelated to the PRP application closures, which were introduced to manage the backlog of lockdown-expired visas before dealing with long-term permits. PRPs and CSVs use the very same critical skills list and CSV applications are currently open with the existing list.
Hi terryZW,

Ok thanks for the clarification on the PRP.

I see CSV is open, given that I graduated from a SA university (Computer Science, 2011),
the following does not apply to me, correct?

• a confirmation, in writing, from the professional body, council or board recognised by SAQA in terms of section 13(1)(0 of the National Qualifications Framework Act, or any relevant government Department confirming the skills or qualifications of the applicant and appropriate post qualification experience, (if not attached, VFS official to check Directive 22 of 2014)

(Also, just to note, I have a letter like the one above but it is from 2019, and has my old passport number on it.)

Thanks for all your help on this.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi terryZW,

Ok thanks for the clarification on the PRP.

I see CSV is open, given that I graduated from a SA university (Computer Science, 2011),
the following does not apply to me, correct?

• a confirmation, in writing, from the professional body, council or board recognised by SAQA in terms of section 13(1)(0 of the National Qualifications Framework Act, or any relevant government Department confirming the skills or qualifications of the applicant and appropriate post qualification experience, (if not attached, VFS official to check Directive 22 of 2014)

(Also, just to note, I have a letter like the one above but it is from 2019, and has my old passport number on it.)

Thanks for all your help on this.
Correct. You don't need SAQA unless you have other, non-SA qualifications that you will be attaching to your application.

What letter are you referring to?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a letter of confirmation of critical skills (from 2019) from a professional body (IITPSA, Critical Skills Visa (South Africa)).
I want to add it because it says explicitly which categories I qualify for under C.Skills list, but again it has my old passport number on there, is it worth me adding it and adding a copy with my old passport as well just as verification?

I want to submit the strongest application possible.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Its a letter of confirmation of critical skills (from 2019) from a professional body (IITPSA, Critical Skills Visa (South Africa)).
I want to add it because it says explicitly which categories I qualify for under C.Skills list, but again it has my old passport number on there, is it worth me adding it and adding a copy with my old passport as well just as verification?

I want to submit the strongest application possible.
I guess you can. I applied under the graduate waiver with just my membership certificate. I never applied/paid for the letter.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello. Any idea when PRP applications will open up?
The earliest possible opening date is the beginning of next year (Year 2022).

It's been gazetted by DHA:

On the 29th of June 2021, The Department of Home Affairs indicated that services for applications related to Permanent Residency will resume as follows:
• Permanent Residency applications will resume from 01 January 2022.
• Permanent Residency Appeal applications will resume from 01 October 2021.
• Proof of Permanent Residency applications will resume from 01 October 2021.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The earliest possible opening date is the beginning of next year (Year 2022).

It's been gazetted by DHA:

On the 29th of June 2021, The Department of Home Affairs indicated that services for applications related to Permanent Residency will resume as follows:
• Permanent Residency applications will resume from 01 January 2022.
• Permanent Residency Appeal applications will resume from 01 October 2021.
• Proof of Permanent Residency applications will resume from 01 October 2021.
Where did you get this info? Source please.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts