Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Proving you can speak English?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Pultet 
#1 ·
Hi All,

My husband is an english speaking South African, and he has to prove that he speaks english for his spousal visa - he has a BA degree in Film and is a journalist - would he still need to do an english language test?

#2 ·
South Africa isn't among the majority English-speaking countries, so he needs to show his English ability in one of two ways: either to have a pass in approved English test at A1 or higher, or have a degree taught in English. If his BA was taught in English, he can send his original degree certificate as evidence.
See UK Border Agency | English language requirement, and links to further details.

#4 ·
Hi SamSecrets,

What I did, which I would highly suggest, is that I approached my university(with ID, student no. & actual degree scroll) and they were able to provide me with an official letter stating that the medium of instruction for my degree was indeed English. Depending on the institution of course, I was in and out of there in about 20mins. They had a template for such things already on the system.

If he now lives in a different town it may take longer, as most things done over the phone and post system do.

And so I included this letter, plus my official transcript(subjects studied and marks obtained), along with my degree manuscript within my application.

When he goes though to VFS to submit his application, support documents, and get his biometric done, they 'will' go through his documents and fill in a tick sheet as they go along. Seeing that he has not included an English language test score sheet, they will ask him how he meets the English language requirements.. He will state, I assume, through his degree. He 'will' then be required to write a statement on a sheet provided, explaining how he thinks he meets the English language requirement.

I must state however that my degree is from a mainstream South African university and it was awarded as recently as 2012.

Understandably not all cases are the same. But I thought I would share my side of the story, in terms of your question.

We applied for a fiance visa, which I successfully received last week.

I wish you both the best of luck!..

#5 ·
I am from Philippines..I once obtained certificate from my university that my course was taught in English. My diploma and transcript of records were also stamped and sealed then sent it to UK NARIC (recognized by UKBA) hoping they will certify all those documents that I can speak and write English language. but then they sent me a letter stating that although my degree wa staught in English they're still uncertain if I can speak,read and understand English. so had to take IELTS test instead

#6 ·
To be safe, get a certificate from NARIC to confirm it was taught in English and is on UK standards, I think it is circa R700. From what I've read on here is that NARIC won't confirm that degrees from Stellenbosch, Freestate and Pretoria were taught in English, even if it is on Masters level. If that is the case, he will have to do the IELTS test which he will definitively pass, the cost for that is R2400. Might seem like a waste to go to all the trouble getting these documents, but keep in mind that the visa application fees are very, very high. Cost of doing the IELTS test - R2 400; Cost or resubmitting your application due to not satisfying the language requirement - R16 000 (second time!) + R2 400 anyway.

I would rather pay a little more right from the outset and go to much more trouble just to make sure everything is 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.