Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have created this thread for people who are planning to move to Sydney, so we can all benefit eachother with ideas and how to plan ourselves before we move.

As we all know that moving to a new country needs proper planning and we have to start everything from scratch.

I would request forum members to kindly pitch in and share any ideas or advises that might be important to people moving to Sydney.

I am planning to resign from work in July 2013 and start a new life in Australia starting August 2013. I am hoping its the right time for job search...Seniors plz advice...

Everything starts to work smoothly once a person manages to get a stable job in Australia.

Good luck to all who have got their GRANTS and are planning for a move to Australia. And for those people who are patiently waiting for their grant, I would suggest that don't loose hope and be optimistic about your GRANT..hopefully one should receive it soon.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I have created this thread for people who are planning to move to Sydney, so we can all benefit eachother with ideas and how to plan ourselves before we move.

As we all know that moving to a new country needs proper planning and we have to start everything from scratch.

I would request forum members to kindly pitch in and share any ideas or advises that might be important to people moving to Sydney.

I am planning to resign from work in July 2013 and start a new life in Australia starting August 2013. I am hoping its the right time for job search...Seniors plz advice...

Everything starts to work smoothly once a person manages to get a stable job in Australia.

Good luck to all who have got their GRANTS and are planning for a move to Australia. And for those people who are patiently waiting for their grant, I would suggest that don't loose hope and be optimistic about your GRANT..hopefully one should receive it soon.
July and August of 2013 have gone. Are you thinking of 2014? :D:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Residence in Sydney

Hi, there, can anyone share their experience how they leased their 1st residence in Sydney? Would the landlords likely set harsher conditions such as bigger bonds and even one-off payment of a few months' rents because initial settlers usually have no jobs?

Would there be a lot more of listings of rental properties at the beginning of year?

Thanks in advance for the information.

ekhtai

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi ekhtai,
It's a bit of luck playing in the whole process, to tell you truthfully. 1st time renting is sure difficult, as you will have no rental history, or bank statements to show, compared to even a person who have been here for 6 months. But still, with the current property market demand, it should not be a problem to get the same in sydney. problem is, things change very quickly, and it may be a totally different scenario just 2 months down the line.

just to give you an idea, I had inspected and applied 3 years ago for about 20 properties, only 3 of which came good. on the other hand, a colleague of mine, who came in to the country only a month ago, applied for 14 units last week, and already have received calls from 8 of them!! so you see, the whole result depends on what kind of demand there is at that point of time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks, Cooluno, for your info. But do you think the area matters? Would the north regions (such as Chatswood, Epping, N. Ryde) have a lot of competitions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, all, I am planning arrival in Jan. 2014 and would like to share my ideas here.

May I ask Cooluno how we should look for temporary residence immediately after arrival (suppose we have no relatives/friends there to stay with for the initial few weeks)?

ekhtai

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the correction Mithu...:tea:

I am planning to relocate in August 2014 :)

July and August of 2013 have gone. Are you thinking of 2014? :D:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
House rent and local experience

Guys,
Shoot across the questions.

I am in this city for the past 3 years, and would try to help you all with any queries you have regarding settling here as much as I can.
Hi Cooluno,

It's great that you are ready help people like me - new comers to Sydney. I was looking for a shared accommodation initially in Strathfield or Parramatta area. But I am open to look for any other good and cheaper area where things are easily available. I heard that I should start applying for them probably a month before, so is it true? I hope that before I land in Sydney, I get an apartment to go directly from the airport after 19 hours of flying. I don't have any friends or relatives in Sydney!

Secondly, I heard that local experience is what they ask from a new candidate! I am in ICT and have worked in very big brands of finance firms (international brands) in India, would that be of any advantageous while looking for a job there? I just hope that can be. But still it would be really great help if you can provide some light on local experience and how to get it? I am ready to work temporary for other lower skilled jobs also or any contractual jobs for ICT. Your inputs would be great!

Thanks,
K

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Thanks, Cooluno, for your info. But do you think the area matters? Would the north regions (such as Chatswood, Epping, N. Ryde) have a lot of competitions?
Chatswood is a nice place, somewhere around 20 mins from CBD in train. I would suggest you to go to chatswood or St leonards. Perhaps, you shouldn't get much problem as there are so many chinese landlords who rent houses there, preferably in areas like Redfern, Burwood, strathfield, flemmington, granvile, paramatta etc.

However, taking a home as a new migrant is always a tough thing. You must have to stay with your friends or some accommodations like I said below and then in 2 months time or after, you can look for accommodation like a single or double bed room with reference from your current landlord. Also, you need to meet 100 points test in some cases to qualify or convince the landlord for accommodation. So better avail the one below (Studio), I can help you with the contact details if you need. They are so friendly too, and beauty is no deposit they charge. Just rent in advance every week :)

Epping is too far. If you want to land in a Studio type accommodation initially, I can help you out with the reference, where I personally lived, they are the landlords from Taiwan. The accommodation was reasonable 300$ per week (Single studio) inclusive of everything except food. You can cook inside the Studio. Its just walkable from station, you have a massive playground opposite. Also, so many greeneries, less populated peaceful area. I enjoyed it in St Leonards. If you go with double sharing, its even cheaper (around 200$ per head).

Best regards,
JR

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, jj, thanks. The problem with me is that I will come with a family, so a studio or shared flat is not an option. I can initially check into a serviced apartment but since it is expensive I think I should only stay for a month or so. Plus I need to find a long term lease so that i can check my kid into nearby school quickly.

Chatswood and St. Leonard must be good but the rents there are much higher than those in Epping, right?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Hi, jj, thanks. The problem with me is that I will come with a family, so a studio or shared flat is not an option. I can initially check into a serviced apartment but since it is expensive I think I should only stay for a month or so. Plus I need to find a long term lease so that i can check my kid into nearby school quickly.

Chatswood and St. Leonard must be good but the rents there are much higher than those in Epping, right?
I agree with you, St Leonards is expensive :D I was single and hence I was able to manage with 300$ a week in that Studio. As its very peaceful area as well as very near to CBD (Just 14 mins in train).

Chatswood too is a kind of expensive but not all accommodations is expensive.

Well, you can live with your family in 400$ a week in the same bigger size studio just for 1 month. I do not know your kid's age or number of kids. But, I know, there was an Indian family of 2 people (Husband and wife) with a 2 years old kid lived in there and adjusted for one or two months. There is no problem to live as long as you have small babies like I said. But the rent could be 400-450$. Perhaps as you said, one month you can stay there with family, within which you can figure out the areas what fits you.

Epping is a bit far. It's totally upto you. Not a bad idea, you can look in Epping too. Perhaps you also research out Strathfield, Paramatta side too, but I am sure, places after paramatta you get cheaper as its around 45 mins from CBD. I know, places like.

Also, places like Ashfield, Croydon, Burwood also you can find so many Chinese landlords, rates will be reasonable. (Perhaps around 300-350$ per week for a one/double bed room house). I myself was given a quote from a couple of different Chinese ladies landlords to share with them in Homebush/Ashfield.

Best regards,
JR

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, JR, thanks. Your advice is very helpful and informative. I think rent around $600 should be fine.

Do u know how soon i can get a long term lease in such areas as Epping and Chatswood? Would there be usually a lot more listings in January?

What documents would a landlord usually require of a tenant having no past record of leasing a premises in Australia? A bank statement of an Australia bank?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Hi, JR, thanks. Your advice is very helpful and informative. I think rent around $600 should be fine.

Do u know how soon i can get a long term lease in such areas as Epping and Chatswood? Would there be usually a lot more listings in January?

What documents would a landlord usually require of a tenant having no past record of leasing a premises in Australia? A bank statement of an Australia bank?
Hello ekhtai,

It's my pleasure. Well generally I was told by everyone that, without any past records its a bit difficult to convince the people for availing a one/two bedroom apartments. Perhaps, if the landlord is from your native/origin, sometime it is possible to convince and get it done. If you go through real estate agents (Generally we go through agents, because they do formal contracts for 6 months and you deposit 2 months security deposit and some documentations)You may have to look in Gumtree for that, there are so many available options.

Coming to documentation, you need your passport/visa and Bank statement, DL if you have and current residence reference number of land lord. Sometime these days people expect you to qualify 100 points check. Please see the website below that explains you clearly the process and what is 100 points check for an accommodation. I am also afraid to see the first point itself which says you need reference from your current landlord.

Rental Application Forms

This website clearly will help you prepare yourself for the document and other things.

Rental Application

Oh mate for 600$ you'll get pretty decent accommodation even new built houses too in decent areas. I have just checked the gumtree for rent in Epping. You have many advertisements, in fact, I saw a Chinese couple is looking for Chinese people to share the house with them.

epping in Sydney Region, NSW | Property for Rent | Gumtree Australia Free Local Classifieds | Page 1

HOMESTAY Epping from $250 pw | Property for Rent | Gumtree Australia Ryde Area - Epping | 1022291730

I am sure people like this can help you out atleast for 1 or 2 months stay and then you can take their reference further and go for 1/2 bed room apartments where you can get schools nearby too.

Please research this Gumtree every pages for right accommodation and rental understandings. However, I am afraid to tell you that, the phone numbers/emails are not visible from these Ads in gumtree for people living outside Australia. Perhaps some people put their contact details in contents, which can help us. So in these cases, I would recommend you to go for the Studio I mentioned earlier just for a week or two. By that time, you can fix any of the deal as once you land in Australia, you can access their numbers/emails from gumtree on these Ads and you can contact them and even go and take a look at the houses.

This is just for your understanding of what is 100 points check: 100 point check - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best regards,
JR

·
Registered
124 Posts

Both chatswood and st leonards would be expensive for family. it would still be okay if you are ready to share a flat. I would recommed you to look at the western suburbs(parramatta/westmead/wentworthville) or look towards hornsby for a more reasonable staying options. Yes, taking a service apartment for a couple of weeks may be a good decision, as that gives you some time to look for an accommodation. Most of the rental properties comes with a bond of 6 months to a year. Also, although things are a bit difficult for 1st time renters, as I mentioned in my earlier post, things seem to be a bit on the easier sides lately, so I sure hope you will be able to find something in those 2 weeks of initial stay. Also, do note that most agents do not give out an application form unless you physically inspect the property. Inspection days are normally the saturdays and either a tuesday/wednesday. So please make sure that you plan ahead and inspect as many properties as you possibly can!

Hope this will be helpful. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Cooluno,

It's great that you are ready help people like me - new comers to Sydney. I was looking for a shared accommodation initially in Strathfield or Parramatta area. But I am open to look for any other good and cheaper area where things are easily available. I heard that I should start applying for them probably a month before, so is it true? I hope that before I land in Sydney, I get an apartment to go directly from the airport after 19 hours of flying. I don't have any friends or relatives in Sydney!

Secondly, I heard that local experience is what they ask from a new candidate! I am in ICT and have worked in very big brands of finance firms (international brands) in India, would that be of any advantageous while looking for a job there? I just hope that can be. But still it would be really great help if you can provide some light on local experience and how to get it? I am ready to work temporary for other lower skilled jobs also or any contractual jobs for ICT. Your inputs would be great!

Thanks,
K
Just quoting what I posted on another thread.

Taking a service apartment for the first couple of weeks may be a good decision, as that gives you some time to look for an accommodation. Most of the rental properties comes with a bond of 6 months to a year. Also, although things are a bit difficult for 1st time renters, as I mentioned in my earlier post, things seem to be a bit on the easier sides lately, so I sure hope you will be able to find something in those 2 weeks of initial stay. Also, do note that most agents do not give out an application form unless you physically inspect the property. Inspection days are normally the saturdays and either a tuesday/wednesday. So please make sure that you plan ahead and inspect as many properties as you possibly can!

Hope this will be helpful. I will reply on your ICT application soon, just running off for an errand now. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, JR, thanks for this. Will check out gumtree. With all these onerous requirements, just wonder how new arrivals can find a long term lease in Sydney?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was planning to ship my home appliances such as Fridge, Washing Machine, Microwave, LEDTV etc; however the cost associated with this is too high. Just had a word with one of my friend who's in the cargo business.

Its better to buy home appliances from Australia..

Guys..plz provide what your plans are in regards to taking stuff to Australia.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gtaark, if i were u i would rather not as i know the costs for buying all these will be much higher than the shipping costs. I reckon my shipping costs will be around A$9000.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts