Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anybody had any recent experience applying for a spouse visa for a US applicant.
Did you apply for a standard or priority service and how long did it take? Are current waiting times very long?
Ive been follwoing another very long and detailed thread on here about applications wait times, but i wanted to know specifcally what the time difference is right now (ie september 2013) for US applicants with and without priority applications?
We dont have a lot of spare cash so would like to avoid shelling out, but at the same time we want it all sorted by November.
Any advice gratefully received:playball:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not sure what the situation is with spouse visa applications, however we recently applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain with the premium service (in person) as wait times for ILR postal applications nowadays seem to be taking between 4 and 6 months. The process at the Home Office in Croydon was simple and painless, we had our ILR in 2 Hours rather than having to wait with frayed nerves for 6 months. IMO paying the extra cash was worth every penny!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention my main point, that if the priority service worked so well for us with the Home Office here, the priority service might work much quicker for you as well! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I applied for my fiancé visa in March 2013 so I am not sure it is recent enough to be relevant, but I found priority absolutely worth it. I had my visa in my hand four days after I put my documents in the mail. It speeded things up tremendously. I strongly advise you to buy priority.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Amy, good to know.
I heard there was a big increase in applications in July as there was some changes in the rules as lots of people were trying to beat the deadline.
I was wondering whether these people have now been 'flushed through ' and if anybody had any recent news?

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
Thanks Amy, good to know.
I heard there was a big increase in applications in July as there was some changes in the rules as lots of people were trying to beat the deadline.
I was wondering whether these people have now been 'flushed through ' and if anybody had any recent news?
That was last year.

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
Most applicants who didn't use priority end up regretting it. OK, US applications are processed fairly quickly, but there can still be a difference of up to a month between fastest priority and one of the slower non-priority cases. As it's only $300, most people feel it's money well spent for peace of mind and keeping agonising wait to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'd like to just warn you that the wait is absolute torture. It is worse than you think it will be. It was for me; I was pretty sure I could manage, but it was absolutely the worst thing I've ever been through in my life. I'd have gladly paid twice or three times for priority service.

Trust me, once you send the documents, you're going to be so freaked out and so anxious you'll do ANYTHING to speed it up. I still say spend the money.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would strongly echo what Joppa and AmyD have just said - my fiance and I have not gone the priority route for our fiance visa and i am regretting it so much and the wait is stressful and torturous, especially if you have some kind of dates in mind in the future. If you can afford it i would definitely recommend paying for priority.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks joppa, that has decided me. We can go without priority and save our cash for something else:thumb:
I was told there was a huge increase in applications in August 2013.

I paid for the premium service and they received and processed in 3 days. I also included a Fex-Ex return and it will arrive today! Can't stop sitting by the window waiting for the Fed-Ex man!

From begining to end it was 8 days total. Well worth it! (Provided i was not declined!) I'll know in the next 3 hours! UGH!

Happy Friday!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.