Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
15,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A presenter on Spain's national TV show La Mañana, devoted to health and lifestyle issues, suggested in all seriousness that sniffing lemons could cure cancer.

This and other such nonsense will be discussed in Parliament following a PSOE proposal to prevent the national TV network from spreading potentially dangerous misinformation.

Spain's Congress to discuss sniffing lemons as a cure for cancer | In English | EL PAÏS

Next they should look at the adverts that promise to make your cellulite, wrinkles or visceral fat disappear as you sleep, providing you spend enough money on their products. It's hard to believe these things are legal!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Then there would be nothing left but car ads on the telly. :D

If Coca-Cola can get in trouble for incorrectly labeling water of all things then why is this rubbish still allowed to happen?

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
A presenter on Spain's national TV show La Mañana, devoted to health and lifestyle issues, suggested in all seriousness that sniffing lemons could cure cancer.

This and other such nonsense will be discussed in Parliament following a PSOE proposal to prevent the national TV network from spreading potentially dangerous misinformation.

Spain's Congress to discuss sniffing lemons as a cure for cancer | In English | EL PAÏS

Next they should look at the adverts that promise to make your cellulite, wrinkles or visceral fat disappear as you sleep, providing you spend enough money on their products. It's hard to believe these things are legal!

This is one of quite a few topics on which you and I will always be in complete agreement.:)

Anything of that sort is a real no-no for me. I'm afraid I was brought up in an atmosphere of 'believe half of what you see and none of what you hear'.

·
Registered
19,435 Posts

What is tv Woo?

I think there is legislation about ads, but it's not put into force. I know there are discrimination laws for job ads for example, but they are not followed

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
People who want to believe in pseudo science quackery will always believe. I think we had the same on another thread which I can't mention.

·
Registered
15,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is tv Woo?
Woo on TV.

Woo is a term used among writers to describe pseudoscientific explanations that have certain common characteristics.

The term comes from woo-woo, an epithet used in the 1990s by science and skeptical writers to ridicule people who believe or promote such things. This is in turn believed to have come from the onomatopoeia "woooooo!" as a reaction to dimmed lights or magic tricks. The term implies a lack of either intelligence or sincerity on the part of the person or concepts so described.

As a coincidence, the Chinese word "Wū" (巫) means a shaman, usually with magic powers.

Despite the terrible name, it has become quite a popular term within the skeptical movement. Woo is sometimes synonymous with bullsh1t, though there are differences. Bullsh1t is generally just a lie pulled out of wherever, about whatever. Woo is understood specifically as pseudoscience, uses a science-like formula, and attempts to place itself as scientifically, or at least reasonably, supported.

Woo - RationalWiki

·
Registered
7,280 Posts

There are any number of people and organisations - many internet based - promoting entirely implausible and often dangerous nonsense. Examples being Dr Mehmet Oz (he has a television programme in the US), Mike Adams 'The Health Ranger' who has an influential wedbsite called Natural News and Vani Hari 'The Food Babe' who peddles nutritional nonsense.

There is much debate about whether it should be stopped on the grounds that it is dangerous nonsense or allowed in the interests of 'free speech' or giving people 'choice'.

Little is done to counter it 'officially' - it is left to scientific skeptics - mostly bloggers such as Edzard Ernst also The Good Thinking society and The Science Babe :rolleyes:who counter with logic, knowledge and evidence and, often in frustration, ridicule.

Incidentally promoting alternative un-evidenced cures for cancer like sniffing lemons is actually illegal in the UK under The Cancer act 1939.

Spain is possibly a little behind the UK here as such adverts are routinely reported (including by me:)) to the Advertising Standards Authority which insists that all claims made in adverts must be backed by 'robust evidence'. if they are not the advertised will be asked to stop making the claims and if they persist will be referred to Trading Standards.

There are also published guidelines on what advertisers in the various sectors can say - for instance homeopaths, reflexologists and the like aren't allowed to say that they can treat any specific disease in adverts. They can say whatever nonsense they like face to face.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
When I was in Poland years ago the elderly woman in whose one cramped room in a shared apartment we lived in had a collection of bottles on her window sill, full of an evil- looking brown liquid.
We noticed other windowsills with similar bottles.
The content of these bottles was a mixture of red wine, coffee and the leaves of a cactus- like plant. We were solemnly assured that drinking a glass of this noxious potion each morning would ensure would never get cancer.
It seemed as if the whole of southern Poland had,literally,swallowed this nonsense. We were given bottles to take back to Prague with us. They were dumped as soon as we were out of sight of our hostess.
Woo really is a religion, a faith which dissolves all reason and common- sense.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Do you have incontrovertible proof of that, if so, please reference your statement with hard evidence?
Yes. I know people who drank that potion for years and still got cancer.;)

There is no such thing as 'incontrovertible evidence', though, is there.....scientific 'truth' is valid only until it is disproved.
How can you disprove a faith?

·
Registered
15,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is one of quite a few topics on which you and I will always be in complete agreement.:)
Oh come on, I'm sure you can think of something! Woo is a multi-billion dollar industry. What would happen to all those poor shareholders and unemployed snake-oil salesmen if people woke up one day and realised they were being conned? ;)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Oh come on, I'm sure you can think of something! Woo is a multi-billion dollar industry. What would happen to all those poor shareholders and unemployed snake-oil salesmen if people woke up one day and realised they were being conned? ;)
That was one of the reasons for dumbing down the education system so that people would not realise they were being conned. The great god Mammon works in mysterious ways.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are any number of people and organisations - many internet based - promoting entirely implausible and often dangerous nonsense. Examples being Dr Mehmet Oz (he has a television programme in the US), Mike Adams 'The Health Ranger' who has an influential wedbsite called Natural News and Vani Hari 'The Food Babe' who peddles nutritional nonsense.

There is much debate about whether it should be stopped on the grounds that it is dangerous nonsense or allowed in the interests of 'free speech' or giving people 'choice'.
Speaking of Dr Oz..

Proof that Dr. Oz (and his team) does NOT closely consider the merits of the products he advertises is available:

Dr. Oz had claimed that the diet product garcinia cambogia is the "Holy Grail" of weight loss and that it is also beneficial for diabetics but the product is probably contributing to diabetes - google or bing "Do Garcinia Cambogia Side Effects Boost Diabetes?" (supplements-and-health dot com site). In the recent Today show, Oz said about diet pills that's "a flawed area with lots of fraud, both in the research and in products" but these facts have been known in the medical literature for many years way BEFORE Dr. Oz promote diet supplements as "miracles" and what not... so he and his so-called excellent research team should have known that, pointed it out, or avoided that area from the start (read the article cited above). It's proof that no one should trust Dr. Oz and his lucrative enterprise. But... because he's a misleading showman, deceptively leveraging of his medical credentials as a sales and promotional tool, the general gullible public falls for this "trustworthy" person just about every single time...

Yet, the biggest truth is that in both alternative medicine and conventional medicine (or other huge corporate industries), etc quackery, scams, and a lack of integrity are commonplace (which both industries tend to hide from the public) because they're both mainly self-serving businesses.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
%%

Serves them right:D People freely choose which companies they buy into and if their fund managers choose to invest in companiesthey don't approve of they can ask to have them removed from the portfolio. OH has just done this, exercising her right.
I wouldn't support any activities of which I disapprove. There is such a thing as ethical investment as you know.:)
Workers and shareholders aren't always the same people. I'm sorry for 99.9% of people who lose their jobs through no fault of their own. Life, especially economic life, isn't black and white. All kinds of jobs become obsolete but life and work go on.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Really, though, as long as these woo companies break no laws and make no false claims, what.'s wrong with them?
People spend money on all kinds of things others think dumb.

·
Registered
15,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Serves them right:D People freely choose which companies they buy into and if their fund managers choose to invest in companiesthey don't approve of they can ask to have them removed from the portfolio. OH has just done this, exercising her right.
I wouldn't support any activities of which I disapprove. There is such a thing as ethical investment as you know.:)
Workers and shareholders aren't always the same people. I'm sorry for 99.9% of people who lose their jobs through no fault of their own. Life, especially economic life, isn't black and white. All kinds of jobs become obsolete but life and work go on.
Well there you go then, not that different from Tescos who IMO also practice unethical activities. :D

·
Registered
15,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Really, though, as long as these woo companies break no laws and make no false claims, what.'s wrong with them?
People spend money on all kinds of things others think dumb.
The problem occurs when people reject medicines which might actually cure them in favour of things they think are more "natural". Ask Steve Jobs (I know someone who can put you in contact with him ;)).

1 - 20 of 57 Posts