Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my great search for properties, I have come across fotocasa.es. This website seems to contain a lot of affordable properties and I notice that there is a mortgage calculator, which helpfully gives an estimate of the monthly repayments for the asking price. My questions are, has anyone purchased via the site, and are the mortgage rates reflective of what one might reasonably expect , ( I presume the rates are for full time residents). Certainly, our spirits are buoyed by searching through all the lovely properties whilst sitting in wet, cold Scotland. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ps my search relates to looking for a property in the island of Fuerteventura.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It just looks like hundreds of other sites that do the same thing really.

You're looking at moving over here from Scotland I take it? I'm also from Scotland.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought David, at first glance it doesn't seem quite 'right'. Yes, we are moving to Fuerteventura, self, wife x2 kids and x2 dogs. !!

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's what I thought David, at first glance it doesn't seem quite 'right'. Yes, we are moving to Fuerteventura, self, wife x2 kids and x2 dogs. !!
Nice one.

You got work sorted? Or are you retired? I don't mean to pry, but it's always good to know before anyone hands out advice on buying property here! :D

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
The website is a good one (see FAQ for a list of rental/purchase web sites) - I use it all the time to offer properties for rent as well as for sale. It's also one of the larger ones.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks snikpoh, I didn't know what to make of it a first glance, but after studying the properties on offer it seems to be the ideal forum for a potential purchase. Certainly, we have found a handful of properties that fit our needs, and the mortgage calculator seems to be working on a residents mortgage rate which is far more favourable than what we were offered when we looked to buy to rent.

David, not retired! I am a professional landscape photographer by trade and the wife is an OU lecturers, all her courses are delivered on line so she can work anywhere. .....

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I am selling my house on fotocasa. I am also buying, although of course, one has to come before the other! The sites I use for both are fotocasa and idealista.com (1.4 million properties as of today, nearly 7,000 new listings yesterday alone) as they each have the largest amount of properties to choose from, to buy, to rent and even to share. If you scroll to the bottom of the home pages you can choose to view the sites in English.

I suppose Madrid would be too far for you? ;)

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Madiz....good advice. Sadly Madrid wouldn't do for us...I've just been looking again at the site and its full of properties almost too many !

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I would suggest that you seriously consider renting prior to purchasing.

My initial destination was the island of Gran Canaria, I eventually settled on the Island of El Hierro, 200 miles to the west, where I have now purchased property.

Good luck with your re location.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Hepa and Good Evening, yes indeed, our plan is to rent. We have been going to Fuerte for the past 10 years and we have travelled extensively over the island photographing. The plan is to rent for 6-12months and do the purchase right first time. I must come to El Hiero with the camera!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Fotocasa and Idealista are the main property websites in Spain. I prefer Idealista because Fotocasa tends to repeat properties on each page of results, has a horrible map tool where you have to zoom right in to get to the properties, and is generally is less usable. Idealista is the best property portal I have come across (and yes we did sell our property via it). But ... Idealista and Fotocasa are slightly more geared to the Spanish market, so they might not list all the expat properties, and most properties are described in Spanish. Also you'll notice that many properties on those sites are listed directly by the seller ("particular") rather than an agent - many Spaniards don't bother using agents as they aren't essential to the transaction process.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Chopera, I'm still perusing Fotocasa and have already made contact with a chap selling a home which might just be the very ticket for us !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still are, but there's a property which might be available x months down the line as it were. ....going out at Xmas, having a look then.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Still are, but there's a property which might be available x months down the line as it were. ....going out at Xmas, having a look then.
One of the many problems with buying property in Spain is that nobody really knows the value of the market (transaction prices don't get published). This means that asking prices are too high and that properties hang around on the market for years on end. One way to try to get a feel for your target market is to register with idealista and fotocasa and save every property that interests you as a favourite, and see how long it hangs around for. Both Fotocasa and Idealista will send you an alert if a property has been removed or had it's asking price changed. You will soon find that pretty much nothing is selling.

Generally if you think you might want to buy in Spain, make it a long term excercise, doing lots of ground work trying to understand the market, and yes, rent first.

·
Registered
131 Posts
estate agents online

idealista and fotocasa are both excellent. I found the following one by accident recently and it is directed at the UK and european markets:
magnoliapropertydotcodotuk
In particular have a look at
magnoliapropertydotcodotuk/viewdetails.asp?id=9239

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks both, I have noticed that properties we looked at 5 years ago are still on the market, and pricing seems quite speculative, with prices going in high....it's very hard to get a feel for the market.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Thanks both, I have noticed that properties we looked at 5 years ago are still on the market, and pricing seems quite speculative, with prices going in high....it's very hard to get a feel for the market.

Its a buyers market and prices are still very much on a downward trend. Properties arent moving quickly, so its no surprise that many are on the market after 5 years. That said, I suspect the "good ones" that are realistically priced (whatever that is??) do sell.

Before you get too bedded down with looking and speculating, its better to come over and get a feel for the areas, properties, lifestyles, economic climate etc.... Also remember that buying in Spain is nothing like it is in the UK

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 32 Posts