Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
U.K.
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
House on the market a week, today we have finally negotiated an offer that we can live with. They started with a ridiculous offer, but we stuck to our guns and got the asking price.

So another stage done, just got to get to Exchange

·
Registered
746 Posts
House on the market a week, today we have finally negotiated an offer that we can live with. They started with a ridiculous offer, but we stuck to our guns and got the asking price.
Congratulations! Another step forwards, although don't get too excited just yet 'there's many a slip betwix't cup and lip' to use a well known phrase. Once you exchange contracts, you'll be well on your way.

You can't blame people for coming in with offers, you just never know. Although in a rising market lowish offers don't have much chance of success when the property is valued correctly.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations! Another step forwards, although don't get too excited just yet 'there's many a slip betwix't cup and lip' to use a well known phrase. Once you exchange contracts, you'll be well on your way.

You can't blame people for coming in with offers, you just never know. Although in a rising market lowish offers don't have much chance of success when the property is valued correctly.
No I agree, and we will try low offers in Spain, so I do not blame them for low offers.

Yes we now have to get to exchange, then I can hand in my notice... that is 3 months, and my NHS pension takes 4 months. So we are very early on in the process, but it is as you say another step forward. The chain is us them and their buyer who is in rented!.

I feel excited and scared all at the same time
x

·
Registered
746 Posts
No I agree, and we will try low offers in Spain, so I do not blame them for low offers.
Well cash is king in Spanish real estate at the moment. If I were in your shoes and was looking to buy at the moment I'd be putting in offers that I'd be more than happy to walk away from if they weren't accepted. You have to build in a bit of negotiating leeway for the seller to raise your price but I'd walk away if my top offer wasn't accepted and keep looking.

The prices many estate agents and sellers have set often bear no resemblance whatsoever to the current market price and the key, as with all property is to work out what you're prepared to pay, not what the sellers wants to sell for.

It's a nice scared though isn't it!

·
Registered
28 Posts

Yes we now have to get to exchange, then I can hand in my notice... that is 3 months, and my NHS pension takes 4 months. So we are very early on in the process, but it is as you say another step forward. The chain is us them and their buyer who is in rented!.

x
Well done. That is excellent.

Remember cash is king in Spain and like many items houses are only worth what someone wants to pay. Assess houses by your standards rather than asking prices which are often plucked out of thin air. Once you know what you want to pay offer a sum which gives you plenty of room to negotiate and have a rationale for your offer. I have bought 2 houses this year. One I paid about 40% of the asking price. The other about 15%. In both cases I was very happy and the seller was content. Neither seller was over a barrel and was in a position were they were forced to accept what I offered.
The key though in my opinion is find an estate agent you feel you can trust. I was a real pain to them when looking and asked lots and lots of questions via e mail before I even set foot in a house. That paid real dividends. Now I have more than I believed possible and I hope the same happens for you.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Congratulations, cambio - you are 'on your way'........the best is to come & you have everyone on here to 'help'.....

·
Registered
473 Posts
I thought this was about selling a house in Spain.

Selling a house in Spain in a week for the asking price...that's a dream and a fantasy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts