Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We are looking to buy a property in Normandy and are using a number of sites for our initial property search. In particular we are using Cle France. What I wanted to ask is whether or not it is possible to find out how long a property has been listed for. It is always a good idea to know so one can make an appropriate offer.
Many thanks
James

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
The problem is that in France there is no central property listing service. Each agency lists both their exclusives and any house on the market that they become aware of and think they can move. So, while a property may have been on one agent's listing for a week, it could have been listed somewhere else for 6 months, and the owner may have tried to sell it himself for a few months before that.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
I would not worry too much about how long the property has been for sale when deciding to make an offer. Especially if you are buying rural. In rural areas property can take years to sell.

The problem you have is that you are looking at an expat property website and more often than not their prices will be inflated anyway so you are not seeing a true representation of the market price of properties in France. I would stay well clear of these sites.

You really need to work out for yourself how much the property is worth and make an offer. If it is being advertised at 200 k but the reality is that it is only worth 90 k then offer 90 k otherwise you will carry that debt.

Every house has a value. Usually based on its habitable living space.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The problem is that in France there is no central property listing service. Each agency lists both their exclusives and any house on the market that they become aware of and think they can move. So, while a property may have been on one agent's listing for a week, it could have been listed somewhere else for 6 months, and the owner may have tried to sell it himself for a few months before that.
Cheers,
Bev
I know France has no multi-listing but doesn't Seloger sort of fit that description? I noticed they have many properties listed there by multiple agencies. I browse there a lot but maybe its not the best site. What do you think, Bev?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Is there a particular property site you would recommend? I know Leggett but they are UK and over priced. We are looking in Lower Normandy, about 45 mins from Caen or Cherbourg.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
A few comments from moving / buying / selling in France..both for living and holiday lets.

1. Avoid UK/ international agencies...they inflate prices and often hefty commission to pay....even if as buyer you don't pay directly it's in the price somewhere.

2. Fr estate agents work very much face to face......make personal contact....it counts for a lot.

3. Many properties on the market "ideal second home for Brits" are on sale because the old people who lived there have died. French inheritance laws usually insist that ALL, and not a majority, of the cbildren must agree the price and the sale. This can take a loooooooooooooong time.

4. On older rural properties watch out for sceptic tanks ...fosse septique, and boundary disputes...these can go. back generations.

DejW

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
I know France has no multi-listing but doesn't Seloger sort of fit that description? I noticed they have many properties listed there by multiple agencies. I browse there a lot but maybe its not the best site. What do you think, Bev?
Not really. By a multi-listing, I mean a common listing site that is accessible by all the various (real) estate agents and agencies - so that they have an idea of all the properties on the market and can advise their customers accordingly.

You have to be very careful in France (and in other European countries with a similar set up for property sales), because it's the buyer who pays the agent. And if "by accident" you use two different agents to show you the same property that you decide to buy, you will owe two full agency fees. There is no "fee splitting" like there is in the US.

There is also the possibility of finding property for sale directly through a notaire - particularly in an estate sale. And PAP is usually the place to go for direct by owner sales. A property can be listed on one, five or all possible sites. Seloger is certainly a popular site, but it doesn't list all properties available in the are by any means.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts