Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need a property inspection report if I live with my parents?

Please could you tell me how to obtain a property inspection report?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Do I need a property inspection report if I live with my parents?

Please could you tell me how to obtain a property inspection report?

Many thanks.

Yes.

A qualified Surveyor who is RICS registered can conduct a survey. The Housing and Environment Dept of your Local Council should be able to assist by giving details of approved Surveyors. A word of warning, always ask the cost as some surveyors can charge very high fees.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, what I meant to say is it mandatory or are there alternative documents you can show instead? I.e. Land registry, mortgage statement, etc.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Thanks, what I meant to say is it mandatory or are there alternative documents you can show instead? I.e. Land registry, mortgage statement, etc.
It is required as you will be sharing with other people, even though your parents.
It has to be shown there is adequate and suitable space to accommodate you and your family.

The Land registry record is also required as is a letter from your Parents giving consent for you to live with them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Accommodation details

You may wish to submit any of the following documents to provide us with evidence of your accommodation. We advise that you do not make any payments for accommodation, travel and so on until you have received your visa.

Details of the accommodation that you and your sponsor intend to live in and permission for you to stay there along with evidence of any other occupants

This could include:
  • Land Registry documents
  • mortgage statements
  • rent book or tenancy agreement
  • council tax statements
  • property inspection report
  • utilities bills
  • accommodation details with a supporting letter from the occupant/ landlord confirming that you are able to stay there

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Accommodation details

You may wish to submit any of the following documents to provide us with evidence of your accommodation. We advise that you do not make any payments for accommodation, travel and so on until you have received your visa.

Details of the accommodation that you and your sponsor intend to live in and permission for you to stay there along with evidence of any other occupants

This could include:
  • Land Registry documents
  • mortgage statements
  • rent book or tenancy agreement
  • council tax statements
  • property inspection report
  • utilities bills
  • accommodation details with a supporting letter from the occupant/ landlord confirming that you are able to stay there
Yes, you must select items from the list which confirm Ownership of the property, suitability of the accommodation. In other words you must show the property is suitable and will not be overcrowded ( Inspection report).

Tenure of the property......if Parents are Owners a Letter from them agreeing to your occupation. A record of the Land registry or Title Deed.
If they are Tenants then a letter of agreement from the Landlord is required, and copy of Council Tax Bill.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi buddy,
quick question about time frame.
Is it okay if the inspection report is around 3-5 months old?
if the property is on sponsor's name(owner is sponsor) but his/her parents also live on that property, do one need to get parent's permission/letter giving consent to live there?
Thank you

It is required as you will be sharing with other people, even though your parents.
It has to be shown there is adequate and suitable space to accommodate you and your family.

The Land registry record is also required as is a letter from your Parents giving consent for you to live with them.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi buddy,
quick question about time frame.
Is it okay if the inspection report is around 3-5 months old?
if the property is on sponsor's name(owner is sponsor) but his/her parents also live on that property, do one need to get parent's permission/letter giving consent to live there?
Thank you
A report should be reasonably recent.....5 months is probably stretching it a bit.

If property is owned by Sponsor then the Land Registry record is required and Council tax bill. Nothing required from parents as they are your guests and not the other way around. The accommodation survey will identify their occupation etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, that was my understanding. Better safe than sorry I guess!

Do I have to provide a copy of my parents passports and sister too (all occupants)?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The ECO needs to be convinced the accommodation is adequate and will not be overcrowded. These are the guidance notes which the ECO use:-

9. MAA9 Assessing adequate accommodation
The ECO should be satisfied that the accommodation complies with the following requirements:

it is (or will be) owned or legally occupied for the exclusive use of the couple (see definition in section below); and
it is capable of accommodating the couple, and any children, without overcrowding as defined in the Housing Act 1985 (see MAA134).
Depending on the circumstances of the case, there may be other relevant factors; for example, the ECO should be satisfied that housing the couple in rented accommodation will not be in breach of any tenancy agreement as regards sub-letting (see below).

10. MAA10 Legally owned or exclusively occupied
The ECO should consider the basis of the availability and security of tenure of the accommodation. Factors to be taken into account will include:

the ownership of the property and/or the duration of a lease
whether any lease enables the tenant to sublet to the couple or take them in as lodgers.
If the accommodation is not owned by the couple (or one of them), the Rules require that there be adequate accommodation which is for their exclusive use. This need not be as elaborate as a self-contained flat. It is acceptable for a couple to live in an existing household, for example, that of a parent, uncle, aunt, sibling or friend, as long as they have at least a bedroom for their exclusive use.

If the couple have children with them there must be additional adequate accommodation for them (see MAA134 for maximum numbers of persons allowed).

·
Registered
11 Posts
DO you need all this if you are applying for a Fiancé Visa? I was just going to include a letter from my fiancé's landlord saying that it was ok for me to live in the property (he rents with another tenant, so there will be 3 of us in total).

Obviously once I am there I'll get on the lease so that there's no issue for when I apply for the FLR(M) visa after we are married.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
DO you need all this if you are applying for a Fiancé Visa? I was just going to include a letter from my fiancé's landlord saying that it was ok for me to live in the property (he rents with another tenant, so there will be 3 of us in total).

Obviously once I am there I'll get on the lease so that there's no issue for when I apply for the FLR(M) visa after we are married.
If you are sharing accommodation with friends/roomates or family it's strongly recommended that you you have aproprty inspection to independently confirm that there is no overcrowding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.