Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Fiancee is from Colombia and we are in the process of getting our application together. It was coming along well even with the complicated papers needed as I'm self employed. However we've hit another obstacle in regards to showing wedding plans. At the moment we only have proof of engagement ring and fb post regarding getting engaged. We were told we couldnt give notice of marriage until my fiancee was in the country. My local office Cant take bookings until that's done and another one can take booking but only up to the end of October which would be being optimistic considering you can't get married until 28 days after notice of marriage. This wouldn't look good on the application would it? Next week I was going to call around other registry places to see if I can book a later date. Failing that we could buy some wedding rings to show more proof within our current affordability and put a deposit down on a local venue that does weddings. I found one which only take 100 pound. Firstly we plan to do a private registry office wedding to do within the visa time constraints and have another ceromony later next year when her family can come from Colombia. Any help and advice would be great please.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I have started a new thread for you. Please take a moment to read the stickies at the top of the page, one of which explains how to open a new thread. In future, rather than tack your post onto another that has little to do with your query, please start a new thread.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I don't think Facebook posts are applicable as evidence of intent to marry. You should consider showing receipts for a wedding dress/wedding rings, Email communication between yourselves and the designated registry office (even if you don't have an appointment booked yet), and a deposit or even provisional booking date for a venue. Just a few items to show you've committed either time or finances toward your wedding, even if it's held in a registry office. It sounds like you have the right idea.

Reactions: HatakeSage

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry Nylon I did try but wasnt that simple from my mobile phone. Thanks for sorting that.

Thanks clever octopus we will sort what you have suggested.

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
Dialogue with the Registry office and a provisional date with your proposed venue is a good idea. The UKBA realises that betrothed couples don't necessarily have £ 000s to splash out on visa fees and a posh wedding, so a small registry office ceremony followed by a nice meal at a venue with local friends/family is totally acceptable.

The point is, as Clever_Octopus has stated, that you have shown that you've made an effort to plan a wedding.

Good luck to you and congratulations on your upcoming wedding! :)

Reactions: HatakeSage

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little update- and im absolutely fuming and shaking with anger. This Visa stuff makes grown men cry!

Yesterday we booked a wedding venue for January the 9th. We put a deposit down and also explained our situation. They said if its within respectable good notice they would gladly change the date free of charge. Happy days, progress.

Today I call the registry office to book a registrar for the date. She said its all clear for that date and was all very polite. Until I said we are applying for the visa. The ladys tone soon changed to a rude one and explained all the stuff I already know which she insisted on finishing when I tried to interupt saying I knew it all. That we couldnt book a registrar until we gave notice of marriage and that couldnt be booked until my fiancee was in the country for 7 days. Should I have lied and just booked it. I explained and asked if they could send we a email to at least say that I I had enquired and she refused. She then pretty much raised her voice saying WE ARE NOT GIVING YOU A PROVISIONAL APPOINTMENT, WE ARE NOT GIVING YOU NOTICE OF MARRIAGE AND WE ARE NOT GIVING YOU EMAILS. I have never felt so judged in all my life. She said that I could write an email asking for the price and they would respond to that. I told her we had booked a wedding and she pretty much called me a fool for doing so but I then explained that we could change the date. She said well it may be unlikely youll get your date for the registrar. Honestly so rude.

and breath....

Anyway we have almost completed our application. Is showing our wedding booking and 500 deposit enough? Also I can show an email to the registry office and one back them sending the notice of marriage questionnaire.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A little update- and im absolutely fuming and shaking with anger. This Visa stuff makes grown men cry!

Yesterday we booked a wedding venue for January the 9th. We put a deposit down and also explained our situation. They said if its within respectable good notice they would gladly change the date free of charge. Happy days, progress.

Today I call the registry office to book a registrar for the date. She said its all clear for that date and was all very polite. Until I said we are applying for the visa. The ladys tone soon changed to a rude one and explained all the stuff I already know which she insisted on finishing when I tried to interupt saying I knew it all. That we couldnt book a registrar until we gave notice of marriage and that couldnt be booked until my fiancee was in the country for 7 days. Should I have lied and just booked it. I explained and asked if they could send we a email to at least say that I I had enquired and she refused. She then pretty much raised her voice saying WE ARE NOT GIVING YOU A PROVISIONAL APPOINTMENT, WE ARE NOT GIVING YOU NOTICE OF MARRIAGE AND WE ARE NOT GIVING YOU EMAILS. I have never felt so judged in all my life. She said that I could write an email asking for the price and they would respond to that. I told her we had booked a wedding and she pretty much called me a fool for doing so but I then explained that we could change the date. She said well it may be unlikely youll get your date for the registrar. Honestly so rude.

and breath....

Anyway we have almost completed our application. Is showing our wedding booking and 500 deposit enough? Also I can show an email to the registry office and one back them sending the notice of marriage questionnaire.
Did this myself about 8 months ago. We included the following

- Email conversation showing provisional booking for wedding day made
- Receipt for payment of this
- Emails showing conversations with wedding venues (I didnt get married at a registry office) we were considering
- Engagement Ring Receipts
- Emails showing enquiries about wedding dresses.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much. We have all that expect for wedding dress plans. We have provisionally booked a photographer though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.