Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
What documents do we need to have to prove self-employment?
Thanks in advance
What's your job code, and what kind of self employment do you do. Please be more specific.

·
Registered
960 Posts
What documents do we need to have to prove self-employment?
Thanks in advance
I'm assuming you mean some business by self employment. If that's the case, you should have the registrations documents, TAN, your PAN, tax declarations,returns etc. Almost anything that proves you did something.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I submitted a whopping 35+ pages worth of documentation for self-employment and have received positive assessment from ACS.

My scenario:
- Registered Business
- TAN, PAN, Service Tax, Company Incorporation, Company Bank accounts, etc... all in place.
- Registered CA handling the accounts.
- Proof of having worked full time in my occupation (client references, client purchase orders, invoices, payments, taxes paid, etc).

What I submitted:
- Self Statutory declaration mentioning dates, clients, nature of work, roles & responsibilities.
- Client references and/ or statutory declarations (only from clients whom I worked for the past 2 years).
- Client business cards.
- A few latest invoices + purchase orders
- Certificate from CA detailing the nature of business
- Certificate from CA for my salaries paid (most importantly about why the irregularity in the amount paid- being a freelancer/ start-up venture)
- Bank statements from my personal account showing salary credited (1 per year for last 4 years, and latest 6)
- Bank statements from company account showing customer payments received, salaries paid to me (matching with those shown from my personal account), income tax and service tax payments.
- Salary slips (latest 3)
- Various certificates and other documents related to business incorporation.

This is how my TOC page looks like:

Self Statutory Declaration........................................................
Customer1: Statutory Declaration..................................................
Customer2: Reference Letter.......................................................
Bank Statement: Company Account: Salary Debited...................................
Bank Statement: Company Account: Salary Debited...................................
Bank Statement: Company Account: Customer Payments................................
Bank Statement: Company Account: Customer Payments................................
Purchase Order: Customer1.....................................................
Purchase Order: Customer2.....................................................
Bank Statement: Personal Account: Salary Credited.................................
Bank Statement: Personal Account: Salary Credited.................................
Payslip: Jan-2015.................................................................
Bank Statement: Personal Account: Salary Credited: Jan-2015.......................
Payslip: Feb-2015.................................................................
Bank Statement: Personal Account: Salary Credited: Feb-2015.......................
Payslip: Mar-2015.................................................................
Accountant Certificates: Name & Nature Of Business................................
Certificate: Business Incorporation...............................................
Company Permanent Account Number (PAN)............................................
Company Service Tax Certificate...................................................

·
Registered
109 Posts
I submitted a whopping 35+ pages worth of documentation for self-employment and have received positive assessment from ACS.

My scenario:
- Registered Business
- TAN, PAN, Service Tax, Company Incorporation, Company Bank accounts, etc... all in place.
- Proof of having worked full time in my occupation (client references, client purchase orders, invoices, payments, taxes paid, etc).

What I submitted:
- Self Statutory declaration mentioning dates, clients, nature of work, roles & responsibilities.
- Client references and/ or statutory declarations (only from clients whom I worked for the past 2 years).
- Client business cards.
- Certificate from CA for my salaries paid (most importantly about why the irregularity in the amount paid- being a freelancer/ start-up venture)
- Bank statements from my personal account showing salary credited (1 per year for last 4 years, and latest 6)
- Bank statements from company account showing customer payments received, salaries paid to me (matching with those shown from my personal account), income tax and service tax payments.

Self Statutory Declaration........................................................
Customer1: Statutory Declaration..................................................
Customer2: Reference Letter.......................................................
Payslip: Jan-2015.................................................................
Bank Statement: Personal Account: Salary Credited: Jan-2015.......................
Payslip: Feb-2015.................................................................
Bank Statement: Personal Account: Salary Credited: Feb-2015.......................
Payslip: Mar-2015.................................................................
Accountant Certificates: Name & Nature Of Business................................
Certificate: Business Incorporation...............................................
Company Permanent Account Number (PAN)............................................
Company Service Tax Certificate...................................................
Hi KeeDa,

Are you into business in India ? If you don't mind then what trade..

regards,

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Yes. The business is registered under category "Information Technology Software Services". I do software consulting and development- services or products- whatever comes my way.

·
Registered
29 Posts

My scenario:
- Registered Business

What I submitted:
- Client business cards.

Did your self employment start before or after the business registration date?

·
Registered
9 Posts

My scenario:
- Registered Business

What I submitted:
- Client business cards.

Hi KeeDa,
Did you ask your clients to post you the reference letters via courier? Will reference letter via email work?
Thanks,

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Hi KeeDa,
Did you ask your clients to post you the reference letters via courier? Will reference letter via email work?
Thanks,
They wrote*, printed, signed, scanned the signed copy and emailed me as sending via post/ courier wasn't economical and I needed just the scanned copy anyways.

Edit- wrote on their letter head. So, it wasn't just an email, but a proper reference letter sent to me as an email attachment.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Did your self employment start before or after the business registration date?
I somehow missed to reply to you @dewano. I had planned to quit and start on my own in advance, so the business registration and other related things were done a few months before I started and while I was still employed elsewhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Then how do you obtain a certified copy for ACS?
Some people claim that coloured copies do not need attestation, however, I didn't find any such reference in 'Skill assessment guidelines'. Guideline clearly says, "The ACS is unable to accept documents if the identity of the certifying officer is unclear or the contact details are illegible". There are proofs that coloured scans doesn't always work. Can we say that it is an electronic document if ACS asks for the certified copies?

Also, can you share a sample client reference document? As per ACS's definition: "Statements from your clients with details of the work performed and dates. These statements should cover the entirety of the experience claimed"; I work with multiple clients, sometimes my team work for 100+ hours/week for a client and sometimes for only 2-5 hrs or perhaps 0. Do I need to go back, check time logs and create a list for tasks performed with dates? Or a generic document with average number of hours worked for a period (1-2 years) along with a list of duties will do?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Gurjeet,

You are right... they had emailed me after getting the certified stamp. The thing about uploading colour scans as-is without certification works just fine at the visa stage, but not for ACS. ACS needs certified copies.

PM me your email ID and I shall share with you a sample based on my own client reference, although it is just like any other employer reference and similar to the sample that ACS website has.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my 5th post. It will activate the PM functionality. I will send you a PM when its activated. I will wait for your response to see if you obtained a certified copy from the client or just a plan reference letter with client's stamp on it.

Thanks for all your help :clap2:.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gurjeet,

You are right... they had emailed me after getting the certified stamp. The thing about uploading colour scans as-is without certification works just fine at the visa stage, but not for ACS. ACS needs certified copies.

PM me your email ID and I shall share with you a sample based on my own client reference, although it is just like any other employer reference and similar to the sample that ACS website has.
Thank you for sending the sample doc. I was really confused on how to include the hours worked for a client in the reference letter. Now I know that its not required, only mentioning <from_date> to <to_date> will work.

However, its still not clear that how you got a certified copy from a scanned copy? Did you ask your client to print a copy of the original, attest it, scan it again and send it via email? Are you sure that no one will ask for the original from DIBP? :confused2:

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Thank you for sending the sample doc. I was really confused on how to include the hours worked for a client in the reference letter. Now I know that its not required, only mentioning <from_date> to <to_date> will work.

However, its still not clear that how you got a certified copy from a scanned copy? Did you ask your client to print a copy of the original, attest it, scan it again and send it via email? Are you sure that no one will ask for the original from DIBP? :confused2:
The sample I sent you was from just one client. There were a few other clients whom I worked for during the same tenure and they too authored similar letters for me, but none with the words 'full time'. For self employed professionals like us, we have to submit one self statutory declaration as well, and it is there that I mentioned about all these clients and mentioned about me having worked full time during the said period. More details about this topic in Skills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf, chapter #12 'Self Employed Applicants'

I asked clients to certify the letter and then email me the scanned copy. I don't think DIBP will ever ask for the original. For verification, they send the same copy (that we upload into our visa application online system) to the client and ask them to verify its authenticity by email.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was employed for 9 years after which I am self employed for the past 1.5 years (sole proprietorship). I am not claiming any points for the business. I got positively assessed for my 9 years of work exp as Mechanical Engineer by EA. While lodging Visa I have uploaded Trade license as a proof of self employment. is this sufficient?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The sample I sent you was from just one client. There were a few other clients whom I worked for during the same tenure and they too authored similar letters for me, but none with the words 'full time'. For self employed professionals like us, we have to submit one self statutory declaration as well, and it is there that I mentioned about all these clients and mentioned about me having worked full time during the said period. More details about this topic in Skills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf, chapter #12 'Self Employed Applicants'

I asked clients to certify the letter and then email me the scanned copy. I don't think DIBP will ever ask for the original. For verification, they send the same copy (that we upload into our visa application online system) to the client and ask them to verify its authenticity by email.
Guys, I must say that out of all the resource on internet this thread probably gave me the best information about the ACS process for self employed applicants. @KeeDa A huge thanks!

I am also currently working as one of the partner in a partnership firm which deals with software services. @keeda I am quite new to the site so I am not sure if I will be able to PM you. But would it be possible for you to share your client reference letter with me as well? Please PM me.

Sincerely
Akif

1 - 20 of 54 Posts