Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First time here. Please be gentle.

I am in the process of applying for settlement in the UK with my British wife as sponsor. I have a couple of quick questions here:

1. We have been married since 1997 (married in Norwich, UK) - do we need evidence other than the marriage certificate to substantiate this fact? I see lots of people talking about emails, photos, letters and the like. Is this stuff necessary or is this a requirement where the relationship is de facto?

2. I assume that the category of visa relating to 'family of a settled person' is the one I'm aiming for. Is it fair to assume that the definition of a 'settled person' would include a UK citizen (such as my wife) who is about to resume living in the UK but who will actually be returning with me.

I'd be really grateful for any direction here.

Regards

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
#1 Only if you have lived apart for some parts of your relationship. Include some from before you were married or lived together (if any). Otherwise you need evidence of cohabitation such as joint tenancy, joint bills, joint bank accounts etc, and official letters addressed separately or jointly spread throughout your marriage.
#2 Yes, British citizens are deemed to be settled the moment they set foot on UK soil (as they have the right of abode).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apologies if I should have created a new post or edited the title of this one. I have another couple of questions here:

1. We are meeting the financial requirement via our cash savings. We have held above the cash savings threshold since the settlement of the sale of the house (which was about three months ago). I understand that this is acceptable providing we can prove that we owned the property. I have a letter from the conveyancer detailing the sale and disbursement of funds at sale. Will this be sufficient to satisfy that requirement or should I be looking for additional supporting material? And if so, what?

2. I have seen written that in respect of the cash savings threshold - the account needs to have remained 'untouched' for 6 months. Presumably in this context 'untouched' means not dropping below the threshold as opposed to having no activity in an account?

I have also transferred the funds from an Australia bank to a UK bank within the past couple of months. So the minimum has been maintained but has been transferred from one account to another. Presumably this is acceptable?

Appreciate any advice here.

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
#1 It should be. Read https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...pendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf Section 7.4.10 to 7.4.12
#2 Yes, but in your case there isn't a 6-month period because you are raising funds through house sale. You just had to own the property for at least 6 months prior to the date of application, and it is sold before you apply. Transfer to UK bank account is also fine, provided you show audit trail for sale proceeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.