Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The proof of genuine relationship seems at odds with the visitor visa limitations - according to the instructions for the application processors, they specifically list to look out for things like not living with each other, not sharing bills, not having wedding arrangements. However, all that is dependant on getting the fiance visa! (I've been reading the posts and see that people are making wedding plans ahead of time and then have proof, but I had also read in other places not to make plans because you never know how long the visa application will take.

I've been visiting my girlfriend for 3 years - mostly 1-week trips every 4 months, but this year I spent 4 1/2 months there in 2 long trips (both approved by immigration at the border, and I left on time or earlier). However, we couldn't get any joint bank accounts, credit cards, etc. because you have to be a UK resident to do those things. I have a lot of receipts (Nando's etc) that I kept as weird mementos, so I can prove I was there, but they don't necessarily prove I was with her. (I have old Skype call start/end times, but the newer versions of Mac OS Skype don't have an export feature; I have Yahoo! IM chat times (I don't need to actually send the full data including the texts, right? Just the dates, times & user IDs?)

We haven't made any wedding plans yet because we didn't want to have things fall apart and miss the date, but I guess I need to do as much of that as I can in my upcoming Christmas/New Year trip? And if we can't plan something 6 months away, I'll have to stay alone in US until it's under 6 months away?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Proof of a genuine relationship when it comes to applying for a fiance visa means showing things such as trips to visit each other, photos together, proof of ongoing communication, etc.

You do not need to show things like joint financial responsibilities as you don't live together. Show your flight details from trips together, photos of you meeting each other's friends/family, and logs of phone calls/Skype/E-mail.

UKBA is not going to expect that you share bills. However having some tentative wedding bookings is definitely a plus - like deposits on halls, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have old Skype call start/end times, but the newer versions of Mac OS Skype don't have an export feature
I messed with the Skype database files (easy, grabbed the biggest one), and found the call logs! I posted instructions for Mac OS at http://www.expatforum.com/expats/ge...278081-how-export-skype-call-logs-mac-os.html . (Since I lost 6 months due to a hard drive crash after not backing up for 6 months, I'll probably be working on my fiance's Windows Skype database - if Skype for Windows doesn't have and export, or if it doesn't look nice, or if I'm bored, I'll add a version for Windows.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
When my (now) husband got engaged (New Year's Day, '12), it was 11 months before we got married and we started planning almost immediately.

Once we tentatively set a date and spoke to the Vicar, I did a TON of research as to the time restrictions of the Fiancée Visa (how long before the wedding we could apply, in-country wedding related paperwork processing times, how long we had to actually get married once the visa was approved etc), what we needed to send in with the application, and how long processing would take (non priority applications were being decided in 15 business days back then) all while considering a) my work commitments in Canada (I was in the dying stages of a car loan and had to give 4 weeks notice at work etc) and b) the looming July 9 rule change (I didn't want to have to wait 5 years for Indefinite Leave to Remain, if I could at all help it).

After a quick check of calendar sums, we found that we could still have our November wedding AND get in under the so-called "Old Rules" if we applied between 01-08 July, and so put a deposit down on our reception venue so that we'd have the contract to show that we were serious about this.

We saw each other twice between our engagement and submitting our application (we chatted daily on Skype, via email, and over the phone... we sent in Husband's cell bills showing calls to my number)and I kept an eye on the calendar and the growing pile of paper on my desk relating to the application. Husband came to visit after I sent the paperwork in, as I couldn't leave Canada without a passport.

I cannot deny that I was a nervous wreck for the duration of the wait for our application to be adjudicated. Husband was confident we'd get it (he earns enough even without having to rely on the Disability Living Allowance exemption, and he owned his own flat) but I was still nervous (after all, my whole future happiness depended on a stack of paper in the hands of an anonymous face in New York).

Needless to say, it all worked out and the ECO was ok with the emails,tentative reception venue booing and our word that the Church was ok with our wedding date. Our decision even came 3 days earlier than expected (I was out for lunch with Husband when we received the approval email).

Good luck to you. :)

Reactions: PianoMan2112
1 - 4 of 4 Posts