Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, me again, full of questions here

My partner has a modest pension from America that we live on now, from research I think we can get by on that in Spain until I can find some work, am I correct in saying that there is no proof of income needed to get residency for myself as a British citizen and my partner as a non Eu citizen after we are married or have I got that completely wrong?

Thanks again for your help, this forum is great

·
Registered
17,566 Posts

My partner has a modest pension from America that we live on now, from research I think we can get by on that in Spain until I can find some work, am I correct in saying that there is no proof of income needed to get residency for myself as a British citizen and my partner as a non Eu citizen after we are married or have I got that completely wrong?

You will probably have to show the means by which you and, more especialy, your partner will live and not become a liability on the public purse just as you would in UK. Don't forget that your partner, if a visa is obtained, will be barred from working in Spain.

As far as this forum is concerned you will be all right and helped until you start to try to cheat the system after which, you will find that our support starts to fade quite rapidly. An example is the Brit who is on a whole raft of state benefits in the UK and wants to find out ways he/she can [illegally] keep those benefits together with his illegally used and imported British car

·
Administrator
36,446 Posts

it's ridiculously simple for you - you just have register as resident

slightly more complex for your husband - but as spouse of an EU citizen he has the 'right' to residency

the biggest hurdle will be work...................

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will probably have to show the means by which you and, more especialy, your partner will live and not become a liability on the public purse just as you would in UK. Don't forget that your partner, if a visa is obtained, will be barred from working in Spain.
Thankyou baldilocks for your reply, do you know where I can find out the amount we would have to show to prove we wont be a liability please? My partner has a visual impairment so he would find it difficult to work anyway so only I would be looking for work if we needed the extra income on top of his pension.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's ridiculously simple for you - you just have register as resident

slightly more complex for your husband - but as spouse of an EU citizen he has the 'right' to residency

the biggest hurdle will be work...................
Thankyou xabia, I just dont want to move to Spain and then find out we cant stay and have to go somewhere else, I am hoping that my partner's pension will be enough to live on if I cant find work for a while but I cant find how much income we have to prove to show we wont be a liability on the public purse in Spain, do you have any ideas?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was editing my post (I'd missed off a bit) when the last two posts came in.
Thanks baldilocks, I read your edit, I have never been on benefits in the UK and dont want to cheat the system, I just want to find a place for my partner and I to settle permanently and legally, we are living in Chile right now but would like to be closer to my children, daughter lives in Holland and son lives in UK, with him being an american and me being british its complicated to be able to settle somewhere, we want to be able to pay our own way, we dont want to get benefits or anything like that but I can understand your suspicions as I know others who seek to live a life of entitlement, thankyou again for your help:)

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Thankyou xabia, I just dont want to move to Spain and then find out we cant stay and have to go somewhere else, I am hoping that my partner's pension will be enough to live on if I cant find work for a while but I cant find how much income we have to prove to show we wont be a liability on the public purse in Spain, do you have any ideas?
An EU citizen does not have to prove any income at all. There is no requirement for you to do that. An EU citizen (in general) has the right to live anywhere within the EU, and work anywhere in the EU.

As far as I am aware, once you are married, as Xabia said, your other half has the right to reside here as well as your spouse :)

As regards if your pension is enough? Well, I guess that depends on your standard of living. €1200 - 1500 a month excluding rent would cover you in the Northern Costa Blanca

You wont be a liability on the public purse in Spain by the way, because as someone who hasnt worked those benefits wont exist for you

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou for your reply Stravinsky, the pension amount is much less than that but our needs are modest so hopefully we can find somewhere that will allow us to survive for a while until I can find work. As long as we dont have to prove a certain income per month that is higher than we have then hopefully we should be fine, we do have savings to fall back on though if times are tough.

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
An EU citizen does not have to prove any income at all. There is no requirement for you to do that. An EU citizen (in general) has the right to live anywhere within the EU, and work anywhere in the EU.

As far as I am aware, once you are married, as Xabia said, your other half has the right to reside here as well as your spouse :)

As regards if your pension is enough? Well, I guess that depends on your standard of living. €1200 - 1500 a month excluding rent would cover you in the Northern Costa Blanca

You wont be a liability on the public purse in Spain by the way, because as someone who hasnt worked those benefits wont exist for you
I agree with Stravinsky and xabiachica. You, as an EU citizen, won't need to prove you have enough money to live here.

What is enough will depend on you, what you need/ would like and where you want to live. In general you'll get better value for money in the north and inland than on the coast...

The biggest obstacle will be getting work and please don't say "I'll do anything" as we've got over 5 million Spaniards saying the same and they're still out of work. Research your job opportunities throughly before you come, and if you're going to depend on you finding employment to make this move work, please make sure you've got a steady permanent job lined up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with Stravinsky and xabiachica. You, as an EU citizen, won't need to prove you have enough money to live here.

What is enough will depend on you, what you need/ would like and where you want to live. In general you'll get better value for money in the north and inland than on the coast...

The biggest obstacle will be getting work and please don't say "I'll do anything" as we've got over 5 million Spaniards saying the same and they're still out of work. Research your job opportunities throughly before you come, and if you're going to depend on you finding employment to make this move work, please make sure you've got a steady permanent job lined up.
Thankyou Pesky, will my husband need to prove he has enough money to live in Spain to get residency or does he not have to because I am an EU citizen?

I understand about the work situation, we wont be dependent on me getting work, we will live modestly using my partner's pension and we do have savings to fall back on, the work will be for extras etc, thankyou again for your advice

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
To give you another take on cost of living. We (myself, wife, mother-in-law, two dogs and a bird) live very comfortably on about €600 per month BUT we own our house outright (no mortgage nor rent), we don't eat out (except rarely on special occasions or we are away from home for a short break/holiday or for the day) don't inhabit the bars. We live in a village and our local taxes (including water, sewerage, refuse collection + car tax) are quite low. We have an economical workhorse of a car (Citroen Berlingo) that takes us all plus one or two visitors plus luggage plus invalid scooter (not fast but capacious).

As you can see from the heading to this post, we live inland in a mountain village surrounded by a warm and welcoming local population, fine scenery (for pics see my albums) and peace and quiet. We have very quickly become part of the help-each-other network common in villages. The neighbours are frequently bringing round surplus produce from their huertas (sort of allotment cum smallholding) and, in return we make cakes (we have a gas oven with a thermostat), jams, marmalade (bitter oranges off the trees in the street picked for us and delivered by the local police - saves having the kids kicking them around and making a mess!).

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Thankyou for your reply Stravinsky, the pension amount is much less than that but our needs are modest so hopefully we can find somewhere that will allow us to survive for a while until I can find work. As long as we dont have to prove a certain income per month that is higher than we have then hopefully we should be fine, we do have savings to fall back on though if times are tough.
If money is tight then, you need to take into consideration the different costs of living in different parts of Spain. From what I pick up on forums all the time, the CDS and around there is more expensive than the Costa Blanca North for instance. I experienced this myself when we went down to Cadiz, Sevilla and up to Cordoba

Up here I know of people that say they live on €1000 a month. The rent or mortgage is probably going to be the telling factor. I see flats for rent in Oliva town for €300 a month, but that is probably not what you are looking for

G

·
For UK lady

Dear Sir/Madam, please be careful to secure correct advice and not ill-informed opinions about your husband-to-be and his right of entry, work etc. Google Eu rights and you will find excellent Eu websites which should put your mind at rest.
As you will see he has rights very similar to an Eu citizen - once he attains his residency. He must navigate the 'system' first. Best wishes.

Martin

·
Administrator
36,446 Posts
Dear Sir/Madam, please be careful to secure correct advice and not ill-informed opinions about your husband-to-be and his right of entry, work etc. Google Eu rights and you will find excellent Eu websites which should put your mind at rest.
As you will see he has rights very similar to an Eu citizen - once he attains his residency. He must navigate the 'system' first. Best wishes.

Martin
I don't think anyone here gave any 'ill-informed opinions ':confused2:

in fact we all said pretty much the same as you....................

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.