Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner would be the main applicant as a bricklayer. However i would be listing the fact that i have a degree in sociology. However when i left university i still owed them some money so dont have any evidence of my 2:1 degree.

Will this be a problem and how will it effect our application on visa. Should i just not bother mentioning that i have a degree to save having to show evidence.

Please please help x

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You do have to show documentary proof you have a degree as I don't think many institutions give the degree while you owe them money. How about you pay the money and then you're clear to get your transcripts and degree?

My partner would be the main applicant as a bricklayer. However i would be listing the fact that i have a degree in sociology. However when i left university i still owed them some money so dont have any evidence of my 2:1 degree.

Will this be a problem and how will it effect our application on visa. Should i just not bother mentioning that i have a degree to save having to show evidence.

Please please help x

·
Registered
21 Posts
You do have to show documentary proof you have a degree as I don't think many institutions give the degree while you owe them money. How about you pay the money and then you're clear to get your transcripts and degree?
Just in case you can't get the degree.. don't mention it at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WELL I OWE THEM ABOUT £1000. paying that would mean it would take even longer for us to get to Oz!!!

As a secondary applicant would the fact that i had a degree give us extra points on the visa or make no difference,

thanks for your help x

·
Registered
21 Posts
WELL I OWE THEM ABOUT £1000. paying that would mean it would take even longer for us to get to Oz!!!

As a secondary applicant would the fact that i had a degree give us extra points on the visa or make no difference,

thanks for your help x
if you want to claim extra points you too will have to get ur qualification assessed from an assessment body (I think).

To gain points you will have to prove that with documentary evidences. Otherwise you won't score those points.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
What visa are you applying for and does it require points from you as the secondary applicant?

Australia likes it's bits of paper and sometimes more than it likes experience. If you pay off what you owe and get your degree officially then you may be able to get a better job in Australia.

Have you talked to the Uni to see if you could set up a payment plan? If it doesn't affect your visa application then you could pay it off over time and maybe get a better job later on in Australia.

If you don't intend to pay off the debt then I wouldn't mention the degree at all since you can't prove it.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
As Karen has asked, what visa are you applying for? If it's 175 Skilled Independent then you don't have to 'prove' any qualifications. But if you want to get a job over here based on that degree, you won't be able to as any prospective employer will want to see evidence of it. I know it's a pain, but in the long run you are better off contacting the University and paying back what is owed and then getting your degree papers.

Dolly

·
Registered
619 Posts
Life is tough and sometimes you have to put things on hold. Can't get what you want right away all the time. If you didn't make the payments, then its highly unlikely that you actually have a degree. I know here in US if you don't pay your fees then you won't graduate. Pay up, like the rest of us did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts