Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm British and my partner is from the US. We've been living together in Asia for two years+, and I'm hoping to secure a unmarried partner visa for her to come to the UK with me while I study. We have sufficient savings, and apartment leases with our names on for the two years.

However! The country we were in doesn't really have a functioning postal system - it exists, but it isn't used for any official purposes. So for instance for electricity we would just get a note stuck through the door, and would pay cash to the building's supervisor. So we'll really struggle to put together the proof of cohabitation that seems to be so crucial.

We've been trying to get creative with records of online food purchases, receipts and invoices for travel bookings and such that have our names and addresses on. But after reading some accounts of people's visa rejections, I'm struggling to believe this would ever be enough.

Any input greatly appreciated. Are we up the creek without a paddle?

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Only official post is accepted. Things like online food purchase, receipts, and invoices will not be considered at all. Travel bookings made online aren't acceptable evidence that you live together. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like you can provide the necessary evidence.

You should consider marriage. Based on what you can provide, I believe an unmarried partner visa would be refused.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - obviously not the answer hoped for, but I do very much appreciate the response.

Hope this is also helpful to future people wondering the same thing. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My husband and I looked at the option of the unmarried partner visa when we had been living together in China for over 2 years and we had the same issues.
We were advised on several forums that it's much harder to get an UPV from certain countries because the type of official post & proof they require just doesn't exist in a lot of Asian countries.
The UPV is probably only going to successful from countries that have similar systems to the UK so that "official" documents actually exist and can be used.
It's going to be almost impossible to collate the proof you need by the sounds of it.
Marriage is probably going to be your best bet. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts