Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I urgently need to open a bank account in the UK, and I need a proof of address for that.

I live with my fiance, but I have no way to prove that I live there (not allowed to work, dont have NHS number, dont have driver's license). What can I do to acquire one?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Have your name added to the Council Tax and have them send you an amended copy.

Can you have a utility bill switched to your name?

How long until your wedding and then FLR(M) application? Until you have the right to work, you cannot apply for a National Insurance Number, which would provide you with another proof of address.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called the council and they said that adding my name is not enough of a proof of address (i dont understand why), but the problem is that it would take up to 14 weeks to add my name to it.. and I need this much faster than that

I called all utility bill companies, I can add my name to the account, but I can't be added to the bill itself, rendering it useless..

Getting married in a month, but need a bank account within a much shorter period of time because I just opened a company in Britain and need to have an account for it before I get married in order to get a fund that we have applied for..

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It has been said elsewhere on this forum that it may take 3 months to open a bank account.

Can you change a utility bill to your name only?

Can you get added to your fiancé's bank account?

Does the bank need to be a UK one for the fund that you've applied for? Could you use an overseas bank account that you already have?

See if this account will work for you: Moving Overseas? Receive International Banking Assistance with HSBC Premier

Reactions: ee44

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Utility bill has been resolved, power company (NPower) were not helpful. but thames water changed it with a single phonecall! Will get a bill in one week!

Thank you Nyclon!! It never crossed my mind at all! Can I have the company registered without "working", I don't have to be paid now, I just need it registered, do you think that will be a problem?

I am getting married in one month, and then it should be fine to work.. My feeling about work was getting employed, not opening a company..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all

I have the same problem, but I live with my parents, If I rent a tenant under my name and my fiance could that be a proof of address? Or is there any other ways to proof that she lives with me,
I can't open a bank account for her, I have been advised to get her a Tesco club card this could be a proof of address is that correct
Please help

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Thank you Nyclon!! It never crossed my mind at all! Can I have the company registered without "working", I don't have to be paid now, I just need it registered, do you think that will be a problem?

I am getting married in one month, and then it should be fine to work.. My feeling about work was getting employed, not opening a company..
This seems to be walking a very fine line. You aren't fine to work until after you have actually been granted FLR (M). You should consider doing nothing further until after you are married and actually have FLR (M).

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Another thought for down the line... when you are applying for FLR(M) in 2.5 years time, they will likely be able to see from HMRC records that you started a company before you held a visa making you eligible to work.

IMHO nothing wrong with researching what's required to start a company now, but to actually get the ball rolling, perhaps not such a good idea.

On a positive note, this gives you more time to work on proof of residency for the bank account. Once you have your spouse visa post wedding, you can apply for a National Insurance Number, which will give you another letter in the post that will serve as proof of address. With that and the Thames Water bill, you might be able to register at your local GP's office, and they will send you a letter, and with that in hand, you should have enough proof to open a bank account.

It may seem slow as molasses now, but even six months from now it will not seem like it was so bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.