Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have been working as a project planner in a mechanical engineering/minig/plant engineering environment and was wondering what my chances are to apply for a visa?

If anybody has a similiar background I would appreciate your input!
Thank you very much:confused2:

·
Registered
72 Posts
What are your qualifications? I work along the same lines and applied under my civil engineering degree and was able to get through the process in one piece! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are your qualifications? I work along the same lines and applied under my civil engineering degree and was able to get through the process in one piece! :)
I got a degree in mechanical engineering and business administration from Germany.
What visa did you apply for? I suppose 'civil engineer' is on one of the lists that are discussed here more or less often.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi RachaelK!
Thank you for replying! I really appreciate your response!

I got a degree in mechanical engineering and business administration from Germany (Bachelor) + I got experience in PM tools
What visa did you apply for? I suppose 'civil engineer' is on one of the lists that are discussed here more or less often, right? did you register with EA before? How many years experience did you have back then? how long did it take from applying until you were granted the visa?Where did you get your degree from? US, UK, Canada, SA...?
How did you go about it after your visa was granted? Did you apply with recruitment agencies or directly?

omg, I just realized that I spit all that out within notime. sorry about that. I hope you are able to put up with so much need for knowledge. :)
i haven't found any useful input regarding my specific case so far....
Thankys again

·
Registered
72 Posts
You're not too far off from me then. I have the degree in Civil Engineering and I also have a degree in Engineering and Management (kind of like a BA with a bit of engineering thrown in!) both from US University. Most of my experience is in construction/project management but it wasn't hard to show how that applied to civil engineering as defined by EA. I had approx. 7 years experience when I first applied, but I think it required 4 in my field.

I applied for recognition by EA (not difficult since my University was recognized by the Washington Accord - as listed on the EA site) and then the Skilled Independent 175 visa. It took a while but I expected it would. I applied last October (2008) and was granted my visa this summer.

I did a quick check and (as I suspected) 'mechanical engineer' falls on the MODL/CSL (critical skills list) and is noted on the priority processing announcement that was just released. You can find more info if you look at the DIAC site.

I'm just starting the job search now. We're planning our move for November but I want to make contact and have some interviews/meetings lined up before the crazy summer/holiday period starts there. I'm researching companies and making a few cold/direct contacts before getting in touch with recruiters (common and expected there, from what I've read). I think my CV is ready and I'm hoping to have a few out by early next week. I'm in the process of collecting e-mail addresses and personalizing cover letters now...

Anyhow - no worries about the questions. I'm pretty sure I've spit out a similar line on one of the forums and I'm happy to pass along any info I can. I know I've received heaps of help from people so may as well pass it on, right? :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're not too far off from me then. I have the degree in Civil Engineering and I also have a degree in Engineering and Management (kind of like a BA with a bit of engineering thrown in!) both from US University. Most of my experience is in construction/project management but it wasn't hard to show how that applied to civil engineering as defined by EA. I had approx. 7 years experience when I first applied, but I think it required 4 in my field.

I applied for recognition by EA (not difficult since my University was recognized by the Washington Accord - as listed on the EA site) and then the Skilled Independent 175 visa. It took a while but I expected it would. I applied last October (2008) and was granted my visa this summer.

I did a quick check and (as I suspected) 'mechanical engineer' falls on the MODL/CSL (critical skills list) and is noted on the priority processing announcement that was just released. You can find more info if you look at the DIAC site.

I'm just starting the job search now. We're planning our move for November but I want to make contact and have some interviews/meetings lined up before the crazy summer/holiday period starts there. I'm researching companies and making a few cold/direct contacts before getting in touch with recruiters (common and expected there, from what I've read). I think my CV is ready and I'm hoping to have a few out by early next week. I'm in the process of collecting e-mail addresses and personalizing cover letters now...

Anyhow - no worries about the questions. I'm pretty sure I've spit out a similar line on one of the forums and I'm happy to pass along any info I can. I know I've received heaps of help from people so may as well pass it on, right? :)
Hey,
thx again! That was the most informative package of information (giving a straight forward comment on all of my questions), that I have received so far! Awesome! And ya, education wise there is def some similarities!
Thanks so much! I will look up all the details now to verify and get detailed how-to-proceed-information.
As per now, I think I need to get bit more experience first and then get my education accredited, since Germany and my University is not covered by the Washington accord, yet.

Good luck with the job hunt and all the best! I heard the economy is picking up in OZ a bit faster, so I hope it's going to work out in your favor. fingers crossed!:)

Whereabouts are you located in the US? and where do you plan on moving? any favorite city(ies)/area(s)?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm in upstate NY (believe it or not, NYC is only a small peice of the state, lol). We're moving to Melbourne. My partner lived there for 5 years before we met and has a job lined up and all. I think it would be my first choice anyhow, from the research I've done.

Good luck with the visa process. Glad I could be of some help!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in upstate NY (believe it or not, NYC is only a small peice of the state, lol). We're moving to Melbourne. My partner lived there for 5 years before we met and has a job lined up and all. I think it would be my first choice anyhow, from the research I've done.

Good luck with the visa process. Glad I could be of some help!
upstate NY, eh?cool! it supposed to be nice there. guess it get's a bit chilly in the winter thouhgh. only been to Buffalo last year when I visited Niagara Falls.
anyways, I#d prob opt for Melbourne too, or Perth. well, I'll makeup mind when I have to cross that bridge...
Good luck to you too! I really appreciate your input!
thx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts