Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted a round about figure of what kind of salary a construction project manager could earn. We are planning a move but need to know that our expectations will be met before we start ! 15 years plus experience !

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've seen people quoting $115-130,000.
Just remember that cost of living in Canada is higher and most people reckon 1.75 to 2 times sterling salary to Canadian dollars is about right

So the 115-130k equates to somewhere between 57k-65k up to 66k-75k.

How does that compare to the UK?

John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just remember that cost of living in Canada is higher and most people reckon 1.75 to 2 times sterling salary to Canadian dollars is about right

John
We are moving from Dubai, but not for the money but for a better way of life. A 80 hour week is the norm here and it's time for a change !

·
Registered
4,458 Posts

John
There's no way on God's green Irish earth that COL in Canada is 1.75-2 times that of Ireland/UK.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There's no way on God's green Irish earth that COL in Canada is 1.75-2 times that of Ireland/UK.
not like for like, depends on location and comparing sterling salary to a CAD salary

So a 115k salary in Canada in CAD is similar to a 66k salary in UK in sterling.

If its better than that, fantastic. But plan for the worst.

John

·
Banned
709 Posts
We are moving from Dubai, but not for the money but for a better way of life. A 80 hour week is the norm here and it's time for a change !
Don't expect a massive change. My Brother-in-law works construction here and regularly does 6 day 60plus hour weeks... (especially for the money suggested, expect long hours)

Also, with building codes and practices being quite different here than in Dubai, you can't expect to walk in to a senior PM role. I'd think you would have to do some time at a lower level learning the differences.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Just wanted a round about figure of what kind of salary a construction project manager could earn. We are planning a move but need to know that our expectations will be met before we start ! 15 years plus experience !
You were already given the average $115k - $130k. My company, compensates our PM's in Alberta - in your field and with the same years of experience- with $130k to start.

FYI: Most of them work between 65 to 80 hrs weekly. So, it is not the country, but the field you are working in.

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure about $25 I don't know any pm who would get out of bed for that. The hours we have been promised / quoted are a lot less than people have said on here and with an early finish Friday and no sat working ?

·
Banned
709 Posts
You will find promised != reality.

(And that's true of many jobs.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry G-mo not sure how to take your reply !!!! Are you saying that the reality is that most construction workers work longer hours than quoted ? If so what is the reality at the minute he works 7 am till 10 pm a few nights per week then the other nights till about 7.30 pm. Also sat is a normal working day, hoe does this compare to Canada ?

·
Banned
709 Posts
It means promised does not equal reality. That's true of all jobs in all industries, not just construction. Employers sell jobs as much, or more, than employees sell themselves for the job.

As for construction, as I posted previously, and as did Jrge, it's common to work 60+ hours a week including many Saturdays. My brother-in-law certainly does, and it's not uncommon, and he's not management yet. A PM receiving the suggested salaries quotes in this thread ($110k+) will in most realities be working 65+ hours a week, with 80 hours, and Saturdays, not being unusual.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like we might be jumping from the frying pan to the fire !!! We were led to believe it would be more like a 7 am to 6 pm day and no Saturdays, we will have to do a bit more research ! Thanks for the advice though. With less holidays and money doesn't seem much point.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sounds like we might be jumping from the frying pan to the fire !!! We were led to believe it would be more like a 7 am to 6 pm day and no Saturdays, we will have to do a bit more research ! Thanks for the advice though. With less holidays and money doesn't seem much point.
Hold it! Saturdays and Sundays could be given off to employees depending on their religion/personal circumstances. For instance, 2 of my PM's don't work from sunset on Friday until sunset on Saturday.

Moreover, working only from 7am to 6pm has me thinking: Is that company trying to achieve the 10,000hrs? Are there ordinances in place to limit noise, traffic, etc?

I suggest you have a little chat with them to clear things up, before you turn it down.

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just make sure you have all your certification. And that it can be transferred to Canadian equivalents. Personally, I would transfer them all before you come. It will work out a lot cheaper for you.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.