Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My Professional Year graduation date was 19 August 2019 and I was invited to apply for 189 on 14 October 2022.

My initial thinking was that my PY was valid for 4 years from the graduation date, however, I have read elsewhere that the PY is valid for 4 years from the start date.
This would mean that it is only valid 3 years from the graduation date.

I fear now, that if PY is only valid for 4 years from the start date, my 189 may be rejected as I have mistakenly over-claimed 5 points.

Does anyone have more information on PY validity and whether it is valid from start date or graduation date? Should I withdraw my 189 application?

Any assistance on this matter would be a huge help.

Thank you and kind regards,
Hashim

· Registered
402 Posts
You have over claimed points and their is a very small chance that your application will be succesful. (provided the CO does not look at the PY certficate in detail)

Tread carefully and maybe talk to a Migration Lawyer as well.

All the best

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Hello All,

My Professional Year graduation date was 19 August 2019 and I was invited to apply for 189 on 14 October 2022.

My initial thinking was that my PY was valid for 4 years from the graduation date, however, I have read elsewhere that the PY is valid for 4 years from the start date.
This would mean that it is only valid 3 years from the graduation date.

I fear now, that if PY is only valid for 4 years from the start date, my 189 may be rejected as I have mistakenly over-claimed 5 points.

Does anyone have more information on PY validity and whether it is valid from start date or graduation date? Should I withdraw my 189 application?

Any assistance on this matter would be a huge help.

Thank you and kind regards,
Hashim
What was the exact start date of your PY? and have you already lodged your 189 application?

Below is from immi website and does seem to indicate completion in the four years before you are invited.

At the time of invitation to apply, you had completed a Professional Year. To be eligible for the award of these points your Professional Year must have been in Accounting, ICT/Computing or Engineering, and:

in your nominated occupation or a closely related occupation
completed over a period of at least 12 months
completed in Australia in the four years before you are invited to apply for a visa
provided by one of these organisations:

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses.

Yes, it appears I have overclaimed, as I've gotten the same response from other people too.

And yes, I have lodged 189.
I'm planning to withdraw now, though, as I do not want to get my visa refused for having over-claimed - pretty bummed out knowing I've lost around $4.5k as well

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Thank you for the responses.

Yes, it appears I have overclaimed, as I've gotten the same response from other people too.

And yes, I have lodged 189.
I'm planning to withdraw now, though, as I do not want to get my visa refused for having over-claimed - pretty bummed out knowing I've lost around $4.5k as well
Mate bit of advice - Follow logical rationale and pragmatism.

You are simply jumping the gun.

Asking again - what exact date did you commence your PY on?

Don't rely solely on advise of members on Expat, speak to a reputed Immigration Lawyer.

Reading the exact language on Immi I am still not convinced if you have over claimed

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mate bit of advice - Follow logical rationale and pragmatism.

You are simply jumping the gun.

Asking again - what exact date did you commence your PY on?

Don't rely solely on advise of members on Expat, speak to a reputed Immigration Lawyer.

Reading the exact language on Immi I am still not convinced if you have over claimed
Sorry just a bit rattled.

My registration date was 21 October 2018, so looking at it now, I think, technically, I still have 7 days before the 4 year period lapses (considering I received my 189 invite on 14 October 2022)
Would you agree?

Thanks a lot for responding and for your assistance

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Sorry just a bit rattled.

My registration date was 21 October 2018, so looking at it now, I think, technically, I still have 7 days before the 4 year period lapses (considering I received my 189 invite on 14 October 2022)
Would you agree?

Thanks a lot for responding and for your assistance
I am hopeless in Maths but 21st Oct 2018 till 17th Oct 2022 is not 4 years so you need to explain what exactly you are rattled about??

What am I missing here? You are so eager to just withdraw your PR application. There has got to be more to this story i have a feeling?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I meant that when you asked me to check my registration date, it was 21 October 2018.
This would mean that I did complete my PY in the 4 years before 14 October 2022.
And in this case, I have NOT have over-claimed, so don't need to withdraw.

I was just asking if my understanding of the time periods was correct?

· Registered
1,052 Posts
No I meant that when you asked me to check my registration date, it was 21 October 2018.
This would mean that I did complete my PY in the 4 years before 14 October 2022.
And in this case, I have NOT have over-claimed, so don't need to withdraw.

I was just asking if my understanding of the time periods was correct?
Mate you were too lenient with the use of word 'withdraw' as if you had committed a crime. Anyways NO you have not over claimed as per the dates. Simple and basic maths. Just sit tight now

· Registered
42 Posts
Hi guys,

I've recently gotten the nomination approval from VIC 190 and only when gathering docs to apply for visa, it comes to my attention that there have been lots of mixed arguments about the Professional Year (PYP) validity.

From reading on the DHA's website & EOI questions & Visa application, they all referred as: "has the client completed the PYP in the last 48 months", which I understood as, as long as my PYP completion date is within 48 months before ITA then I'm fine. Nevertheless, people on the internet is stating that it is only 3 years from completion date since the whole 12 month of the program needs to be included in the 4 year.
Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Number

I don't buy the 3-year arguments but I'm still a little bit confused.

Does anyone have some sort of real experience about anyone who's got the visa grant on the basis of 4 year from completion date of PYP?

Thank you.

· Registered
42 Posts
4 years from the date you commenced your PY
From the picture of the DHA's guidance, can you point out to me where is the "commencement" or where it states the "12-month duration" is included in the period of 4 years before ITA? Because I could not see it. In what way the definition of "complete" means "commence" - those are the two complete opposite words: one from the start and one at the end after fulfilling the academic requirements of the program...!? And how come people are spreading the information since there is no official announcement on both DHA's guidance as well as EOI questions/ visa application whatsoever? I am very curious!?!?

· Registered
402 Posts
4 years from completion. I know a few people who got 189 and 190 after 3 years of completion.

See comments under the video

Reactions: DanielSun

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello All, My Professional Year graduation date was 19 August 2019 and I was invited to apply for 189 on 14 October 2022. My initial thinking was that my PY was valid for 4 years from the graduation date, however, I have read elsewhere that the PY is valid for 4 years from the start date. This would mean that it is only valid 3 years from the graduation date. I fear now, that if PY is only valid for 4 years from the start date, my 189 may be rejected as I have mistakenly over-claimed 5 points. Does anyone have more information on PY validity and whether it is valid from start date or graduation date? Should I withdraw my 189 application? Any assistance on this matter would be a huge help. Thank you and kind regards, Hashim
No I meant that when you asked me to check my registration date, it was 21 October 2018. This would mean that I did complete my PY in the 4 years before 14 October 2022. And in this case, I have NOT have over-claimed, so don't need to withdraw. I was just asking if my understanding of the time periods was correct?
Hi did you get any message from co?

· Registered
21 Posts
Hi can someone please provide me an update on PY Validity? As I got the invitation on 8 Dec 2022 but my PY graduation date is 8 Feb 2019 as per the gov site they have mentioned completion date but someone told me start date please advise should I apply for visa or not I don't wanna miss this opportunity as I got invitation at 75 (External Auditors)

· Registered
27,910 Posts
Hi can someone please provide me an update on PY Validity? As I got the invitation on 8 Dec 2022 but my PY graduation date is 8 Feb 2019 as per the gov site they have mentioned completion date but someone told me start date please advise should I apply for visa or not I don't wanna miss this opportunity as I got invitation at 75 (External Auditors)
If you have any confusion, it’s best to consult a good Mara agent for clarity
There are many agents who will clarify a single points also on payment of fees
Cheers

· Registered
1,052 Posts
It's 4 years from the time of course commencement. You can always take a chance as the way Australia is giving out thousands of invitations COs might be a bit lenient (purely my thinking). Consult an immigration lawyer for certainty.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts