Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

someone stole everything i own, thousands of euros worth of stuff, personal items and documents including my birth certificate and bank details.
i went to the police and reported this crime along with the identity and whereabouts of the theif and my possessions.
they told me they would recover the stolen items within 15 days, but did nothing.

since then the theif has destroyed all my stuff.
i captured it on video and photo's and have sms to back it up, undeniable proof of this crime.

i was advised to write to the procureur, which i did.
today i received my letter and the evidence i sent along with a response that they will do nothing.

is this normal?
are there other steps i can take?

thank you

·
Administrator
53,146 Posts
Have either the police or the procureur indicated why they can't or won't act? I get the sense that there are lots of details missing here that may be relevant. Especially given that you seem to know exactly who the thief was.

The police should have given you a report acknowledging that you reported the theft. If you take that to your insurer, they may be able to advise you how to proceed.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i have a copy of the original 'plainte' which i sent to the procureur.
i dont have an insurer

there is no indication why they wont act, i got a letter with a number of options with tick boxes, such as 'its in the criminal court on xxx date' etc
the last one is 'we are doing and will do nothing about this' which was ticked.

is there another avenue?
im unfamiliar with french procedure, in the uk you would go to the police and they would prosecute the thief.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
From your previous posts you seem to be having long running domestic problems Was it your ex partner who "stole" these things? If so I think you will find the gendarmerie unsympathetic to your problems

·
Administrator
53,146 Posts
I think you need to refer to the notaire or attorney who is involved in your divorce settlement. If this "theft" was a violation of your settlement agreement, you may have a case. Or, if you're still in the settlement stage, an attorney may be able to help.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
206 Posts
leforgeron that makes no sense
a crime is still a crime whatever the relationship between the victim and the criminal
Sorry, I assumed that a resident of France would be francophone. It is a old quotation, by no means original to me. A correct translation would be: the only justice which is unquestionable is that which one exercises toward oneself. One take-away from this might be that introspection is a good place to start the analysis of any problem with "justice."

·
Administrator
53,146 Posts
OK, folks, let's go easy here. Divorce is definitely one of those highly traumatic life events that earns you lots of points on the stress scale, even in the "friendliest" of split-ups.

The thing here is that it can be particularly difficult where one partner knows and understands how French law operates and the other hasn't a clue. But it's a matter for an attorney or possibly a notaire, not the police and not the public prosecutor. Heck, even most French partners feel badly abused and misused after a divorce, because the division of property is one of those things that no one bothers to think about until you're in a situation where the other partner is walking out the door with "all your stuff."
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks everyone, you've given me an insight into the mindset of the french police.
"refereeing between a pair of squabbling children" is a good one.

its not a divorce however, she managed to do that fraudulently with my stolen passport.
its just another in a long list of crimes against me, my children and the court.

https://b2aware.wordpress.com/

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I think the issue is that this falls under family law rather than criminal law.
The gendarmes and the procurateur have to be very careful when they get involved in family matters. Taking one incident in isolation when there's a lot of history and background, where that incident is part of a long chain of events, isn't really possible. And if the gendarmes feel you're trying to use them to "get at" her, they will not co-operate. I'm not saying you are but it may have seemed strange, going along to them not to ask them to investigate a crime but to give them full details including a recording of the theft. They're there to keep the peace and investigate wrongdoings, not to take sides in family feuds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
interesting theory EuroTrash
surely there has to be a point where incidents cross the line from family to criminal matters.

i mean, she destroyed everything, all the equipment and tools i use(d) for work, irreplaceable items from dead family members, important documents i need to live in society, everything. you must all know how the french love their paperwork.
there was enough identification papers where there could easily be another me walking around spending my money.

if i were to steal her car and burn it in the forest ,not that i would but for example, i would expect a visit from the police with serious criminal repercussions. at that point its no longer 'children squabbling', its a wrongdoing, a criminal act.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You need to go to a lawyer immediately and seek legal advice. If the conduct complained of has crossed the line into criminal actions your lawyer can intervene with the police. This website cannot give you the legal advice you need. I wish you the best with this difficult situation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.