Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Exparts,

I have got my 189 PR invite today and applied for visa. However my existing 457 is going to be expired in the first week of Jan,18 hence my employer advising me to go for 457 renewal.

All that what I know if I get 457 grant after 189 grant then my 189 will be cancelled. Is this true?

My employer is saying me to attach the PR bridging visa which I got after applying 189 visa while going for 457 renewal so that case officer can grant 457 first before 189.Is this something which happen in this way?

Please advise.

Regards,
Subh

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi Exparts,

I have got my 189 PR invite today and applied for visa. However my existing 457 is going to be expired in the first week of Jan,18 hence my employer advising me to go for 457 renewal.

All that what I know if I get 457 grant after 189 grant then my 189 will be cancelled. Is this true?

My employer is saying me to attach the PR bridging visa which I got after applying 189 visa while going for 457 renewal so that case officer can grant 457 first before 189.Is this something which happen in this way?

Please advise.

Regards,
Subh
If you have already applied for 189; I would advise do not apply for 457 renewal. If you do, and if 457 is granted after 189, it will cancel the PR and you will end up with the 457 visa only.

Being on the bridging visa which you were issued with the 189 application will be activated once your current 457 expires, and it will have the same visa conditions. As far as I know, this means you can continue with the current employer without the need for 457 renewal.

Please check this information with DIBP and elsewhere before proceeding.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
457 is usually processed quicker than 189, but to avoid the situation and risk, apply for the 457 as well as 189 but just don't upload, say, a required PCC in your 189 application so that you would be sure it won't be granted and hope that by the time a case officer for your 189 application comes around asking for this PCC + the time you take to provide it (you can also request for more time) is long enough for your 457 to come through.

EDIT: Ignore all that I said above because since you are onshore on 457, applying for 189 will automatically give you a bridging visa. BVB I think. Not sure about it, but read about it on DIBP website- I believe the bridging will allow you to live and work even if your current 457 expires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts