Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Last week my French husband had it out with the gardienne of our rental. I had ordered a fair amount of cat food and cat litter to our apartment. They never say when it would be delivered but rather gave a "window"...

My husband had come home bringing up the heavy box telling me he had an argument with the gardienne. I said "when did that arrive?" He said earlier today... he said that the gardienne was angry because we didn't tell her a package was coming. Had I gone down at some point during the day, I would have seen the box and brought it up myself. But she didn't even bother to tell me there was a package.

Now we were waiting for a package that you had to sign for.... not sure why as it was only cartridges for a label maker but whatever... We were on holiday last Friday and they tried to deliver... but we weren't there. My husband requested that it be delivered Tues knowing I would be home all day. Nothing happened so I thought they flaked. I took a shower at 5pm but got paranoid and checked the door after and nothing. Then at 7pm I open the door and there is a slip on the door mat but it stated that someone came by at 2pm when I was very much home and waiting for the delivery.

So, given that the slip was there at 7pm and stated he had come at 2pm, I concluded that she stopped him from even going up our stairwell. Her apartment is right at the bottom of the stairs and she has her door open often so she would know who arrives. This was a passive aggressive move in my book to get back at us for the cat food.

I had to go pick it up at the post office in the end.

My husband is angry (he is annoyed by his own people most of the time) and said I should tell her in ENGLISH.. he said don't even attempt to speak French.. that if she continues to make our life difficult, we will contact the owners of our rental who will then contact the HOA and notify she is being a pain in the rear.

Anyone thoughts on this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
You need to get on with your neighbour/gardienne or move
I have had my fair share of annoying neighbours/work colleagues in the UK (it's a bit of an overcrowded hovel over here, hence my move to France lol)
Seriously, the likelihood is you will just make things worse by raising a complaint.
When I worked for a large bank we used to have a saying, 'fit in or f**k off'. I decided on the latter in the end :plane:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TLA but I am looking for more of "how to deal with a gardienne" at this point as the damage is already done. Moving in Paris is beyond a hassle.

·
Administrator
51,594 Posts
You can always "play the foreigner card" - though you may not want to mention that to your husband. What that would involve is going to talk to the gardienne in your best French and simply saying that, as a new arrival, you aren't really clear on how things are supposed to work with a gardienne. Ask her to explain to you what she can and can't (or will and won't) do when it comes to deliveries for the residents. Does she expect you to notify her for any and all sorts of deliveries you're expecting? How would she like to handle it? What does she expect of you?

Sometimes you find that you are simply misunderstanding the situation. Then again, sometimes you find that you have the world's nastiest gardienne, but at least you tried.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts