Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me: Canadian
Husband: Irish

In early September I went to open my husband's application for Social Security with CPAM and they told me that I couldn't do so without him there. They told me the best way to do it was to mail in the file and gave me the address. The woman I spoke to asked that I include the original birth certificate. I sent everything in that day.

I had my Carte de Séjour appointment a few weeks later and had all documents required, but was denied because I am still not covered by my husband's SS. I hadn't read anywhere that a carte de séjour was dependent on social security! I am rescheduled for January.

The problem now is that my husband still hasn't received a social security number and we don't know if it will happen before January. He called CPAM asking about his file and they told him they hadn't received his papers! Three weeks later [today] he called again and they said that they are unable to confirm that anything has been received, and that no application has been opened under his name. We don't know if this means our papers were lost, or if it's normal for it to take this long, or what?! Has anybody had this experience? There are no answers and we don't know what to do.

If the papers are lost, we will need to re-order, translate, and authenticate his birth certificate and then re-apply for SS. Call me pessmistic but I don't think that is possible to do in 60 days...

Now, other than my husband taking a day off to submit his papers by hand, is there something here that we missed and should have done? As I will likely have to re-schedule my CDS appointment, I want to make sure we have everything covered the next time around.

- Husband needs to apply for SS #
- Once approved husband will add me as a beneficiary?
- Then husband will get Carte Vitale?
- I will have CDS appointment

Is that the right order and all that is required?

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
To get a carte de séjour as the spouse of an EU national, you shouldn't have to have your husband's CPAM registration. This is the page from the Service Public site: Famille d'Européen en France : demande de carte de séjour "UE" - Service-public.fr

You may want to take a printout of this page with you to your appointment. What you do need is a document proving what your husband is doing in France (i.e. working, studying, looking for work, etc.). They know full well that it can take six months or more for the CPAM registration to come through - even when they receive the documents.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Bev, thanks for the response.

I am so sure of this too, and even showed them the form given to me by the Préfecture with a list of required documents and everything. Both the person at the front desk and the agent assigned to my file said that as I am not listed as a beneficiary on my husband's social security it was just not possible. I speak French at a decent level and my husband at an even higher level - there was no misunderstanding.

The agent was kind and patient and also emphasized that it could take months with CPAM. She told my husband that the only advice she could offer was that he harrass CPAM to speed things up. She was going to give me an earlier appointment and chose the January one to give us enough time to get CPAM in order.

Could this be a new requirement? Could they really just be giving me an unnecessary hard time? I am so confused!

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Is your husband working here in France? Because if he is, it should be relatively easy to get you added as his ayant droit (though even that can take a few months). If he isn't registered yet with CPAM it sounds like they doubt he is actually "established" here.

I have yet to hear of any new requirement that you must have your CPAM registration sorted out before you can get your carte de séjour. But there is always the "discretion" element I suppose. (Which boils down to them giving you a hard time - but for what reason, I don't understand. Then again, most of these things are impossible to understand.)

Does your husband have a carte de séjour? (He's not required to have one, but the website for the Paris Prefecture says he can apply by mail for one.) That might help. (Stranger things have happened.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just as an FYI if you need to send the CPAM application in again (hope not!)...
You might want to check if your local CPAM has a letter box inside the building. I'm always paranoid that the important paperwork will get lost in the mail so every time I needed to submit something to the CPAM, I would put it in an addressed envelope and drop it in the letter box that was located in the lobby of my CPAM. Also, this way your husband doesn't need to take time off work and you can drop the application off.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Just as an FYI if you need to send the CPAM application in again (hope not!)...
You might want to check if your local CPAM has a letter box inside the building. I'm always paranoid that the important paperwork will get lost in the mail so every time I needed to submit something to the CPAM, I would put it in an addressed envelope and drop it in the letter box that was located in the lobby of my CPAM. Also, this way your husband doesn't need to take time off work and you can drop the application off.
I'll add to this my experience. When we left France we sent our Cartes Vitale and a feuille de soin to CPAM in a REGISTERED SIGNED FOR envelope, I have the receipt that says it was signed for on 19th September. CPAM continue to deny they have ever received it even though they have reimbursed (in part) the feuille de soin.

I would advise you to deliver it in person and get a receipt and the name of the individual who receives it.

Cheers

Reactions: pbo

·
Registered
526 Posts
Don't give up!

Don't give up or loose hope... this is just your initiation into French administration!

I went to CPAM office & completed all the forms with a very helpful lady. She took copies of all relevant docs and said that was everything. Over the next few months I received 7 requests to send in copies of all my documents again, which I did, stating the date, name and office where I'd sent each set of copies to. I was never given an explanation, each individual person I dealth with was very pleasant and helpful, but unable to give me a definitive answer. My Carte Vitale arrived after 12 months!

Keep persevering, keep smiling & don't let them get you down. Good luck, Gypsycob.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update to let others know how this played out:

My husband's Carte Vitale finally arrived in the mail last week so we had still not completed the process of "attaching" me to his social security, however my CDS appointment was this week so I had no choice but to show up with whatever I had. I brought a copy of his CV and copies of the Demande de Rattachement that we filled out, but I was turned away. What is absolutely required for my next attempt is an "Attestation de droits securité sociale récente aux 2 noms (2 pages)". I asked what to do if it still hasn't arrived by my next appointment date and the person working my file said that wasn't an option. She told me that if it hasn't arrived the week before my appointment, I should go to CPAM personally and demand it. I told her that the last time I tried to inquire without my husband there, they turned me away saying I did not have permission to inquire about his account. She told me not to leave and demand my attestation until they give it to me and then wished me "bon courage". Funny to listen to this lady telling me not to take no for an answer as she is telling me "no, no, no..."

I will be so relieved when this is all over and I can go get my teeth checked :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.