Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Myself like others are looking to move to Portugal, me in the near future. Do you have a story to tell, can others learn from it, then please feel free and let the rest of use know.

By telling us your story others may benefit for it.

Peter

·
Registered
999 Posts
Cars.
Second hand are expensive, if you then try to sell it, you have little chance. The dealers will not give you a fair price and the Portuguese buy on the drip and so don't have the cash to buy.
If you are going to buy here, try to get new or be prepared to drive the one you do buy into the ground, to get value for your hard earned.

·
Banned
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hi Mr Blueskies

You say "Everything is wonderful here !!!!!

Sold the business premises contracts i hope this Friday, now sell the business.

Sell a house with a tenant?.

Become an EX sell our home and split up everything i have worked for in the last 30 years.

What do i get in the end, to be happy

Peter

·
Banned
573 Posts
"Well Peter, you are on your way now ! Sell a house with a tenant ? hmmm
Is he a good tenant ? lol asset or liability ? lol Hope he doesn't hold out for a
dropsy. :eek: ;)

·
Banned
573 Posts
:)

Getting back to the original topic. I agree 100% with what Silvers has said
re: cars. The other grey areas in my opinion are (a) Property. It is essential to get it right first time, ie location, price, size of house etc and getting the right people on your team, goes without saying. Get it wrong and you will be stuck with the wrong house, that you may never manage to re-sell. :eek:

The second grey area that I have found is getting work done for a fair price. As an example. I was looking to have new weatherglaze windows installed in a house. First guy gave me a quote for €18,000 and wanted 50% paid in advance. Second guy gave me a quote for €5,300 and did not want a penny until the job was done to my satisfaction. Others come and look and you
never hear from or see them again. :confused:

·
Registered
710 Posts
The biggest problem i personally encountered was "planning" the planning process here can be a mine field, it can take a long time and cost a lot in fees.

But the biggest problems with planning is that people are unaware of whats involved, buying rebuild property on the say so of rouge agents that tell them its easy to get electric connected, easy to rebuild a ruin, dont need planning permission if you build on the footprint etc etc, all things that people find out the hard way are not as easy as they are told it will be.

In my line of work i get to meet many people and recieve emails and calls from people asking advise, normally after they have bought some old ruin and want to rebuild and get connected to electric etc, some at thier wits end because of the amount of work and stress involved in getting planning,

some buy old ruins and are unaware or led astray by people just wanting to get a sale, and think they can rebuild without permission, others do some research and get nervous about whats involved and then ignore planning permission and just rebuild or build without any permission, most of these get a vist from the camara......and are faced with lots of problems.

To avoid any problems make sure you do as much research about what you can and cant do to a building , before buying it. there is loads of info on the web about planning permission in portugal these days.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Problems yes, I was told the other day that if you ask 3 Portuguese experts for their opinion on anything, you will get 4 different expert opinions!!! I'm having the same problem, trying to get a concertina type awning installed on my first floor terrace, some have told me I need camara approval, others that I don't, I even had the opinion that I must go ahead, install it and if someone denounces me and the municipal police come, then I must pay the fine and start the licencing process at the camara!!!!

·
Banned
573 Posts

Can anyone give any guidelines, as to what can safely be done without planning permission ? For example, I have been told that old windows can be replaced with new without permission as long as the widows are not enlarged.
Also that all interior work can be done and interior partition walls added in safety ?

I have a garage at the front of my house that just needs garage doors fitted, front and back. Could I install windows and sliding doors front and back and so turn it into additional living space without planning permission ?

:confused:

·
Banned
533 Posts
I am not so sure about it. There are some basic rules you have to respect, but the rules can be stretched… how far you can go, depends to your local council. Ex: Praya Del Rei complex doesn´t allow you to have a washing line on your front garden, “spoils the views”.:eek: If you want to be sure of what can you do or not, take your plans to your local council, and they will tell you for what you need planning permission. They might take a few days, (weeks??), to answer you, but at least you will know how far you can go, without spending money with an architect
John999

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am not so sure about it. There are some basic rules you have to respect, but the rules can be stretched… how far you can go, depends to your local council. Ex: Praya Del Rei complex doesn´t allow you to have a washing line on your front garden, “spoils the views”.:eek: If you want to be sure of what can you do or not, take your plans to your local council, and they will tell you for what you need planning permission. They might take a few days, (weeks??), to answer you, but at least you will know how far you can go, without spending money with an architect
John999
That sounds just like Portugal. :) Perhaps if I throw a case of Alentejo vinho tinto and some bucks for coffee at the town council, the delay will be days and not weeks. :) :) Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Regards
Nelinha
:) :) :) :) :)

·
Banned
533 Posts
That sounds just like Portugal. :) Perhaps if I throw a case of Alentejo vinho tinto and some bucks for coffee at the town council, the delay will be days and not weeks. :) :) Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Regards
Nelinha
:) :) :) :) :)
I wouldn´t chance the Bucks but a case of Esporão red, Huummmm...will probably work:)
John999

·
Registered
710 Posts

Can anyone give any guidelines, as to what can safely be done without planning permission ? For example, I have been told that old windows can be replaced with new without permission as long as the widows are not enlarged.
Also that all interior work can be done and interior partition walls added in safety ?

I have a garage at the front of my house that just needs garage doors fitted, front and back. Could I install windows and sliding doors front and back and so turn it into additional living space without planning permission ?

:confused:
Yes, Mr Blueskies, well informed estate agents have this information.;):)

Ok, new laws regarding building,planning etc, go into the Diario da Republica, and are all available to be viewed, so that you can clearly see what the laws are and how they may affect you. (or your property)

In this case we are looking at what can be done without planning permission,
so in the Diario da Republica, 2a serie-no 206 - 23 of October 2008
under Artigo 4 Isencao de controlo previo

it lists all the work that can be done to a property without the owner having to apply to the council for permissions.

for example, things like garden perimiter walls upto 1.8 meters, land terracing walls upto 2 metres. new buildings in the garden less than 3 meters high and less than 20m2, some interior work, etc, etc

it does list lots of changes that can be made without a license or project, anyone interested in rebuilding or making changes to a property should go through info like this first.

·
Banned
533 Posts
Hi Derek
Can you answer this question?:confused:
We have a 1.5m wall around our property. It is our intention to raze that wall. Did some research and can’t find the answer to it. Wrote to my council, but still waiting for replay, (might try the case of wine). Friends and neighbours have given me 2 different answers. Some say I can’t do it because the local council wouldn’t allow it, others are saying that if I use a 6ft metal or wood fence over the wall, it will be ok. Can you help?
Thanks
John999

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Derek
Can you answer this question?:confused:
We have a 1.5m wall around our property. It is our intention to raze that wall. Did some research and can’t find the answer to it. Wrote to my council, but still waiting for replay, (might try the case of wine). Friends and neighbours have given me 2 different answers. Some say I can’t do it because the local council wouldn’t allow it, others are saying that if I use a 6ft metal or wood fence over the wall, it will be ok. Can you help?
Thanks
John999
Hi John,

the law states that you can build a wall around your property to a hight of 1.8 meters, but, if the wall faces a public road then you need to build the wall 5 meters back from the centre of the road and you must ask for permission to build this road facing wall.
you will of course see lots of higher walls, these higher walls require permission, to get round the need to ask for permission many people will build the "no permission" 1.8 meter wall then put more hight on top using plastic panal, wood, metal panals etc, these dont require permision, but be aware that you would then be bending the rules. if you dont build a wall and only use wood or some other material then you may get away with a higher fence.

However, these general rules in some cases and regions are over written by the local council, some local councils will have other rules that stop the building of walls, in certain cases, so as always you need to check with your local council to see if what you plan to do can be done. just pop in to the planning dept and tell them what you want to do and where your property is and they will tell you about any restrictions.

·
Banned
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hi All

I started this post because as time draws near "i hope" to when it's my turn in to join the queue to move to Portugal Gois area. It seemed important to know some of the pitfalls that others have had along the road to settling down to a new life.

Thanks and please keep replies coming. I hope this post is of help to others as much as it has been to me.

Thanks to you all

Peter

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Derek

Thanks for that bit if important news. Do you have a link as it would be nice to print of and be able to go back to it when needed.

Like my Pic? :clap2:

Peter
dont have a link to it peter, we just have hard copies in our office for all this sort of stuff. pop in next time your near and i will do you a copy.:)
(its also all in Portuguese)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts