Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a problem with birds perching on my balcony and leaving behind their gifts. Has anyone come across a low cost, easy to install solution to discourage them?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
We had this problem with pigeons. We tried hanging old CD's on bits of string and strips of tin foil. We also tried smearing the balcony ledge with vaseline, which made a bit of a mess to be honest and baked in the sun.

Nothing truly worked in the end though, they were quite adamant that ours was the place to hang out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi all

I have a problem with birds perching on my balcony and leaving behind their gifts. Has anyone come across a low cost, easy to install solution to discourage them?

Thanks
If they are sitting on the rails of the balcony you can mount a fishing line there which will make it impossible for them to land. You can also try using chili powder or similar.

Both ways are also referenced in this article, in addition to two other methods you can try: 4 Ways to Get Rid of Pigeons - wikiHow

Good luck!

454 Posts
if you google bird nuisance dubai or similar you will find several companies offer solutions, including some gel. what's attracting them? we used to have this issue until we dismantled our water feature in which they liked to bath.

the statue idea only works for a while until they wise up to it.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
if you google bird nuisance dubai or similar you will find several companies offer solutions, including some gel. what's attracting them? we used to have this issue until we dismantled our water feature in which they liked to bath.

the statue idea only works for a while until they wise up to it.
you need to move it every other day.

Not sure what the meat's like here, but i grew up on pigeon pie.
great stuff!

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Garlic and mothballs!

Sorry - just remembered that is for getting rid of moles in your garden.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
864 Posts
jebus steve... now that you deleted that post, my smartass wisecrack makes no sense...

makes it seem like *i* randomly dug up an old thread, hit "reply" and then passed out on my keyboard...

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
jebus steve... now that you deleted that post, my smartass wisecrack makes no sense...

makes it seem like *i* randomly dug up an old thread, hit "reply" and then passed out on my keyboard...
You mean you didn't? Happens to me regularly.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts

It's more fun (for me) this way!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts