Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted something about this a while back, but would appreciate final thoughts before I sign on the dotted line.

Coming to France Feb 2018, retired early, UK pension from Nov 2019. Living off savings until pension kicks in.

I'm planning to take either 9 mths or 12 mths ('comprehensive' - they tell me PUMA accepts this health plan) cover with April at 232 euros monthly (one person cover). This should cover me until PUMA application can be made after 3 mths and hopefully confirmed by 6-9 mths in.

1. Is 232 euro a good deal? I think it is, but...
2. Any thoughts on my general plan? Also, any advantage to apply later for PUMA, after around 6 months residence rather than 3 months (thinking of tax declaration and being able to enter the longest possible period with no salary income, so as to keep monthly payments down)?

·
Administrator
53,142 Posts
232€ a month sounds like a good deal to me. But don't forget - I'm from the US, where health care is eye-wateringly expensive.

As to 9 months or 12, it's really hard to say. And in any event, getting onto the PUMA thing will take as long as it takes. Staying off for a few months does nothing much for you as far as your PUMA costs, since that is assessed once a year, based on your calendar year income (one or two years prior IIRC). Having a couple more months of little or no income won't have any influence until the next year either way.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Do not forget that private health cover does not usually cover preventative stuff such as smear tests mammograms and prostate tests They may also restrict the amount that they will pay out on other tests and diagnostics and also cancer treatments They do not cover pre existing conditions and may also restrict what treatment you can get for chronic conditions such as diabetes or accident and emergency cover.You need to read the policy very very carefully and be aware that a private company exists for one reason only- to make a profit for its share holders which means getting in the highest premium possible and paying out the least amount possible
Why do you not feel you can join PUMA straight away?

·
Banned
99 Posts
You can't join PUMA straight away, you have to prove that you've been resident in a stable manner before applying. The process can then take a few months to go through the system. It is also easier to be accepted if you have an income, i.e. a pension, than relying on 'savings'.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do not forget that private health cover does not usually cover preventative stuff such as smear tests mammograms and prostate tests They may also restrict the amount that they will pay out on other tests and diagnostics and also cancer treatments They do not cover pre existing conditions and may also restrict what treatment you can get for chronic conditions such as diabetes or accident and emergency cover.You need to read the policy very very carefully and be aware that a private company exists for one reason only- to make a profit for its share holders which means getting in the highest premium possible and paying out the least amount possible
Why do you not feel you can join PUMA straight away?
I don't think I'll need a mammogram, although as I get a tad older I think my man boobs might need some work, not to mention my beer belly...

Yes, I know private is very iffy and out for themselves, but I need that private foot in the door in order to access Puma later.

Why later vs sooner. Complicated and still probably haven't got it right, but just a case of trying to mitigate last 2 years' high income vs a bit less time with no income in France, if that makes sense to you. My thinking was that the later I apply, I can get tax returns submitted showing zero salary income, vs the quite high income of previous 2 years salary in Japan. But as Bev suggests, probably not much to gain by applying right after 3 mths or a bit later.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can't join PUMA straight away, you have to prove that you've been resident in a stable manner before applying. The process can then take a few months to go through the system. It is also easier to be accepted if you have an income, i.e. a pension, than relying on 'savings'.
Well, yes, I know that, and said so in my post.

What do you mean 'easier to be accepted'?

Puma is new, I know, but my understanding of it is that everyone will be 'accepted' after 3 months' residency, although under what conditions and payments plan is another matter.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
As you would have to take private cover anyway in the interim period ie the 3 months before you are covered by PUMA then I think that to run it for the whole year is probably your best bet and will mean that your contributions to PUMA will be based on a lower income Will it be a private or state pension if so you can get an S1 to cover you.
PS approx 500 men a year die of breast cancer!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.