Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the posts on this, but I need some up to date information.

Can anyone recommend a company for private Health insurance please? I've had quotations from some UK 'expats' insurers, but they are just astronomical!

If you use a Spanish company, is it possible to set up our insurance before we leave the UK?
Are UK companies more expensive?
PM me if you are not allowed to name companies on here please.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts

Can anyone recommend a company for private Health insurance please? I've had quotations from some UK 'expats' insurers, but they are just astronomical!

If you use a Spanish company, is it possible to set up our insurance before we leave the UK?
Yes, UK companies are much more expensive. I think you would need to have a Spanish address before arranging cover with a Spanish company so probably not possible to do it before you get here. Sanitas is a Spanish company which many people recommend and covers the whole country. I use Prevision Medica which is a small company only covering Malaga province and part of Cordoba province in Andalucia (although I am covered if travelling within Spain and to a limited extent, abroad). We are currently paying €115 per month for the two of us, aged 65 and 59.

·
Registered
834 Posts

If you are moving to the Alicante (Costa Blanca) area check-out El Perpetuo Socorro: El Perpetuo Socorro Seguros de Salud en Alicante
If you need more information than given on the web site call them and ask for Maria. She is English and works on the admin team. We have been with them for six years and have had several claims, all processed without problem.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sanitas is the Spanish branch of BUPA, with wide coverage and English-speaking staff but Spanish prices. I don't need insurance myself because I'm covered by the state system, but it comes recommended by people I know.

You can get a quote from their website before you move to Spain.

Official Sanitas (BUPA) Medical Health Insurance in Spain for expats
Thanks. I have already had a quote from Sanitas, and it is very expensive, considering we are both fit and well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, UK companies are much more expensive. I think you would need to have a Spanish address before arranging cover with a Spanish company so probably not possible to do it before you get here. Sanitas is a Spanish company which many people recommend and covers the whole country. I use Prevision Medica which is a small company only covering Malaga province and part of Cordoba province in Andalucia (although I am covered if travelling within Spain and to a limited extent, abroad). We are currently paying €115 per month for the two of us, aged 65 and 59.
Thanks Lynn, we will wait until we move I think. We are hoping to live in the Antequera area, which comes under Malaga province. We will be 62 and 53, and no medical problems.
I will look Prevision Medica up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts