Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know health coverage in France for EU citizens had undergone major changes in the last couple years. I am a British Citizen who has never worked in the UK. I do not believe I qualify for coverage under e121 (UK) ...difficult to get a clear (consistent) answer to this (e121) or indeed what I may qualify for....... Worst case I need private health coverage...

Would be wildly appreciative for any information from expats in France regarding private health coverage ( Carriers/costs...etc) and how this has worked for you.

Thank you so very much.

KMM

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Karin. I hope others will chime in with Healthcare Insurance company recommendations because it is private health insurance that you're going to need (assuming you're not going to be working in France).:tongue1: You could google healthcare insurance for France and get an idea of the coverage and costs. Some companies even provide on-line quotes.

(How weird! I didn't put that blue-faced emoticon in there and no amount of editing will remove it...oh well, interpret it as a happy smiley)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Karin. I hope others will chime in with Healthcare Insurance company recommendations because it is private health insurance that you're going to need (assuming you're not going to be working in France).:tongue1: You could google healthcare insurance for France and get an idea of the coverage and costs. Some companies even provide on-line quotes.

(How weird! I didn't put that blue-faced emoticon in there and no amount of editing will remove it...oh well, interpret it as a happy smiley)
Hi Sun...

I love the blue faced happy...

Thank you for responding. You are correct I will not be working. Have googled
the past hour without really getting good concise information. Yes I am also hoping others respond...please.

My best,

Karin

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have a look at:

- Goodhealth
- Swiss Worldwide Essential
- AXA PPP
- William Russel
- Amariz
- Allianz
- Bupa
- Exclusive Healthcare

(I'm sure there are more but hopefully the others will help)

I wasn't able to get immediate online quotes out of Bupa and Exclusive. You have to email them and they'll email you a quote.

But of the other 6, I got immediate comparative on-line quotes for the two of us. AXA and Allianz seemed to give the best rates in our circumstances,

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a look at:

- Goodhealth
- Swiss Worldwide Essential
- AXA PPP
- William Russel
- Amariz
- Allianz
- Bupa
- Exclusive Healthcare

(I'm sure there are more but hopefully the others will help)

I wasn't able to get immediate online quotes out of Bupa and Exclusive. You have to email them and they'll email you a quote.

But of the other 6, I got immediate comparative on-line quotes for the two of us. AXA and Allianz seemed to give the best rates in our circumstances,
Hi Sun...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

You got far better results from your search than I.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this....going to these sites now.

My best,

Karin

·
Registered
49 Posts
LOL

I'd love to take credit for super-sleuth googling ability but I did some work on this a few months back and saved the comparisons in spreadsheet format. Allianz worked out at about Euro3200 annually for the two of us and AXA at about Euro3500. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL

I'd love to take credit for super-sleuth googling ability but I did some work on this a few months back and saved the comparisons in spreadsheet format. Allianz worked out at about Euro3200 annually for the two of us and AXA at about Euro3500. :D

Sun...

(MORE) thank yous....really appreciate your help.

Best,

Karin

·
Administrator
49,435 Posts
Another option - take a look at the health insurance information on the AARO website: AARO?s Health Care Program for Expatriate America

You have to be a member of AARO to apply for their health insurance, but you can contact the insurance broker they use (see the ad on the right side of the page I've referred you to). They can help you shop for the best deal for your circumstances - and they are used to dealing with customers in English and finding a plan where you can submit your claims in English.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in the insurance broker. Have simply heard good things from people who have dealt with them.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Karin,
Our E106's have just run out so had to go the same route as you - we found the googled major companies were quoting €270 upward for pretty basic coverage - we tried (on recommendation) the below brokerage here in France who arranged full hospital, dental and optical for €92 per person a month. Catherine is a French lady who is bi lingual and extremely helpful - you tell her what you're after and she will find the best deals. Hope this helps,
Bruce.

Catherine Lewis
A.R.C.C.
160 Cours du Médoc
33300 Bordeaux

GSM : 06 26 52 47 67
Fax :05 56 43 04 89
Email: [email protected]
Health in France

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Karin,
Our E106's have just run out so had to go the same route as you - we found the googled major companies were quoting €270 upward for pretty basic coverage - we tried (on recommendation) the below brokerage here in France who arranged full hospital, dental and optical for €92 per person a month. Catherine is a French lady who is bi lingual and extremely helpful - you tell her what you're after and she will find the best deals. Hope this helps,
Bruce.

Catherine Lewis
A.R.C.C.
160 Cours du Médoc
33300 Bordeaux

Health in France
Hi Brucesarn,

I spent half the night on google and did not find a quote this reasonable for all services. Thanks so very much. Will contact Catherine. Thank you so very much for taking the time to write.

My best,

Karin

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hi Karin,

It depends if you only need "top-up" insurance. Best seek the help of an insurance broker. I too checked with UK companies before we moved here and was quoted £3,500 +.and ended up totally confused. We used the same broker here for all our insurance so overall have a better deal. Our "top up" is €1700 a year for 2 - including dental, hearing aids etc! You need experienced advice to ensure you get what you need.

Bon Chance...

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Hi Karin,
Bruce.

Catherine Lewis
A.R.C.C.
160 Cours du Médoc
33300 Bordeaux

Health in France

I'll second this recommendation, Catherine has been really helpful to us in planning our move

David

·
Registered
637 Posts
To answer the E121 question, to qualify you need to be in receipt of a UK state pension - however small - which automatically implies that you be 65 years of age.

Alternatively, if under 65 and entitled to or in receipt of UK incapacity benefit, that would qualify you.

That said, the fact that you have never worked in UK conclusively rules you out on both counts so private insurance is your only option.

You could of course consider starting a business under the auto-entrepreneur scheme which would entitle you to health care. Many who have been kicked out of CPAM, due to expired E106's for instance, have gone this route.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Karin,

It depends if you only need "top-up" insurance. Best seek the help of an insurance broker. I too checked with UK companies before we moved here and was quoted £3,500 +.and ended up totally confused. We used the same broker here for all our insurance so overall have a better deal. Our "top up" is €1700 a year for 2 - including dental, hearing aids etc! You need experienced advice to ensure you get what you need.

Bon Chance...
Hi Isualt,

Thank you for writing.

From what you write I think you qualify under the French system and only need coverage for the amount that is not covered (top up) by their system.

I am a UK citizen but have never worked or lived as an adult in the UK and do not have a NHS number (grumble) so I require private insurance. I'm confused too.
I have just written to a lady two members of this forum have recommended.

3,500 is......really expensive.

Sounds like you did your homework. Could you tell me what company you went with.

Thanks again.

My best,

Karin

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Medical Insurance

Hi Isualt,

Thank you for writing.

From what you write I think you qualify under the French system and only need coverage for the amount that is not covered (top up) by their system.

I am a UK citizen but have never worked or lived as an adult in the UK and do not have a NHS number (grumble) so I require private insurance. I'm confused too.
I have just written to a lady two members of this forum have recommended.

3,500 is......really expensive.

Sounds like you did your homework. Could you tell me what company you went with.

Thanks again.

My best,

Karin
Hi Karin,

€3,500 sounds expensive. The company we used is below and was recommended to me by a fellow journalist - famous for his stinginess. Everything was done by email and telephone. If you tell him what you need he will send you a selection of various policies at different costs - from basic upwards. The agency is AXA which has a very good reputation and maybe dealing direct cuts out brokers commission. In France you do not get an instant quote and it can take a few days... However Stefan must have spent hours to find the best policies for us. We had a pleasant surprise in that we received a cheque from Stefan for the first months premium - the first month free...

Your circumstances vary from mine ( my parents made sure I had a NI number) but you sound younger and in seeking health insurance that is a bonus!

If you like you can mention me ( Philomène- four first names all French!) , Stefan was very helpful in also giving advice on other items we needed to resolve for our new life in France.

Hope all goes well and have a great weekend.

Isualt

Stefan Pietersma
AXA Assurances
1 Place du Lion d'Or
32100 Condom
France
Tel.: + 33 5 62 28 1227 / 06 76 05 56 10
Fax: + 33 5 62 28 45 23
Email.: [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
We use AXA International Healthcare Plan which is comprehensive. They've always paid out according to the terms and we are very happy with the cover & service.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Karin,

€3,500 sounds expensive. The company we used is below and was recommended to me by a fellow journalist - famous for his stinginess. Everything was done by email and telephone. If you tell him what you need he will send you a selection of various policies at different costs - from basic upwards. The agency is AXA which has a very good reputation and maybe dealing direct cuts out brokers commission. In France you do not get an instant quote and it can take a few days... However Stefan must have spent hours to find the best policies for us. We had a pleasant surprise in that we received a cheque from Stefan for the first months premium - the first month free...

Your circumstances vary from mine ( my parents made sure I had a NI number) but you sound younger and in seeking health insurance that is a bonus!

If you like you can mention me ( Philomène- four first names all French!) , Stefan was very helpful in also giving advice on other items we needed to resolve for our new life in France.

Hope all goes well and have a great weekend.

Isualt

Stefan Pietersma
AXA Assurances
1 Place du Lion d'Or
32100 Condom
France
Tel.: + 33 5 62 28 1227 / 06 76 05 56 10
Fax: + 33 5 62 28 45 23
Email.:

Philomene,

Will mention your (lovely) name when speaking to Stafan, Thank you.
A lovely (and so smart) idea to gift you with the first months premium.

In France everything takes much longer but it's the pleasure of the journey we all here have in common. I remind myself "Patience, patience..patience" often. Also "smile..smile.. smile" .

Thank you again...bon weekend to you too.

Best,

Karin

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We use AXA International Healthcare Plan which is comprehensive. They've always paid out according to the terms and we are very happy with the cover & service.
Hi Fizzlers..

Welcome to the forum. I will contact them....thank you
This information is valuable.

Thank you too for posting.

My best,

Karin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.