Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please let me know the 2013 rates for a case of beer and a bottle of Tanqueray gin? Either taxfree or liquor shops - Dubai of course. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Could someone please let me know the 2013 rates for a case of beer and a bottle of Tanqueray gin? Either taxfree or liquor shops - Dubai of course. :)
Beer, anywhere between 120aed and 225aed per case. Add 30% tax. African and Eastern have some prices on their site too (google it).

No idea about gin, I am not a gin drinker :)

ps: Drive to Umm al Quwain Baracuda, and save 50% on the price, and they have a huge selection. Since I love beer a little to much, the drive is well worth it :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Beer, anywhere between 120aed and 225aed per case. Add 30% tax. African and Eastern have some prices on their site too (google it).

No idea about gin, I am not a gin drinker :)

ps: Drive to Umm al Quwain Baracuda, and save 50% on the price, and they have a huge selection. Since I love beer a little to much, the drive is well worth it :D
Plus I've read that is good if you hide them well while passsing Sharjah.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Calisthenia said:
About 100dhs for Tanqueray

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So about 300 AED including tax for the most expensive ones then? Thanks - just buying back for some outstanding alco debt before I leave for good. :D

Thanks! But are these prices before or after tax?

About 100dhs for Tanqueray

·
Registered
203 Posts
Plus I've read that is good if you hide them well while passsing Sharjah.
I hear many dodgy stories about passing Sharjah, but I have never actually met a person that had a problem him/her self. I have been for many years transporting for own consumption in the boot of my car, and never ever faced any issue, or had any close call. My take is that there is really no issue.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Thanks! But are these prices before or after tax?

No taxes ... what is listed is what you pay ...

About the Sharjah bit, if anyone wants to be careful just take 611 rather than 311 ...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
No taxes ... what is listed is what you pay ...

About the Sharjah bit, if anyone wants to be careful just take 611 rather than 311 ...
What he said, 611 is much safer.

You do run the risk of UAQ police themselves sometimes stopping people, but they do it rarely and only to be able to say they enforce this stuff.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What he said, 611 is much safer.

You do run the risk of UAQ police themselves sometimes stopping people, but they do it rarely and only to be able to say they enforce this stuff.
Yep - much safer and much faster too - there's hardly any traffic and the extra distance/time is easily made up by not avoiding the kamizakes on 311 (Whatever that is called today :) )

G

·
So is there actually any of you or anyone you personally know, who had a problem bringing alcohol from Barracuda to Dubai?

Another question, does MMI or A&E ask a license or they sell to anyone, it is the buyer's responsibility to have a license? My workmate said they only ask ID.

I have been buying only from Duty Free since I travel often enough, but stuck in Dubai for 2 months, so I might need a visit to one of those shops.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
So is there actually any of you or anyone you personally know, who had a problem bringing alcohol from Barracuda to Dubai?

Another question, does MMI or A&E ask a license or they sell to anyone, it is the buyer's responsibility to have a license? My workmate said they only ask ID.

I have been buying only from Duty Free since I travel often enough, but stuck in Dubai for 2 months, so I might need a visit to one of those shops.
MMI & A&E ask for license.

which reminds me - renewal way overdue!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.