Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonjour, I'm wondering what the difference between la garantie santé and prevoyance is? Is the former a private health insurance (mutuelle) and the latter a private pension? We have moved to France and signed up to la garantie santé with Audiens and my understanding it was prevoyance, but apparently not. I think it's a matter of terminology that I'm confused with.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
As I understand it, prévoyance is potentially much broader than healthcare, it can cover all kinds of accidents of life. For instance loss of earnings, life insurance, support with maintaining quality of life during serious illness, etc. I think you can tailor it to some extent. My insurers keep trying to sell me prévoyance, they insist nobody should be without it and I have to admit they do make a good case for it but so far I haven't taken it up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah ok, thanks. I thought so. Looks like it's not obligatory either. My accountant is trying to get me to take it up but, given we have some at home inAustralia, I think we'll make further inquries first! cheers

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
It's certainly not obligatory, at least not in normal circumstances. Even Allianz haven't told me it's obligatory, keen though they are to sell it! Though I suppose maybe a loan provider may ask for loss of earnings insurance or life/death insurance (we call it life insurance in the UK but they seem to call it death insurance here).
Could it be that your accountant is on commission there, if he's suggesting it's obligatory... :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts