Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Pressure Washer Woes

3K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  zach21uk 
#1 ·
Evening all,

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on an issue I am having with a new pressure washer I picked up today from Paps.

Rather than trying to explain the problem, I will ask that you watch the following video:

Basically the issue is that when I enable high pressure mode, the motor or whatever is turning on and off, causing the high pressure water to pulse on and off.

I have tried running the water through it in low pressure mode for up to 2 minutes before switching to the high pressure to no avail. I have ensured there are no kinks in the hose. I have tried running it through a 10 meter hose extension and also by connecting it straight to the tap. It didn't make a difference.

There have been a couple of 3-4 minute periods in the last 2 hours where its worked without pulsing. One was when it was on the 10 meter extension and the other one was when it was connected direct to tap, so its not made any difference.

As far as I can see, the water flow from my tap is constant.

I am trying to figure out whether its faulty or if there is some other issue I might be unaware of.

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks
Zach

See less See more
#2 ·
Evening all,

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on an issue I am having with a new pressure washer I picked up today from Paps.

Rather than trying to explain the problem, I will ask that you watch the following video:

Pressure Washer Woes - YouTube

Basically the issue is that when I enable high pressure mode, the motor or whatever is turning on and off, causing the high pressure water to pulse on and off.

I have tried running the water through it in low pressure mode for up to 2 minutes before switching to the high pressure to no avail. I have ensured there are no kinks in the hose. I have tried running it through a 10 meter hose extension and also by connecting it straight to the tap. It didn't make a difference.

There have been a couple of 3-4 minute periods in the last 2 hours where its worked without pulsing. One was when it was on the 10 meter extension and the other one was when it was connected direct to tap, so its not made any difference.

As far as I can see, the water flow from my tap is constant.

I am trying to figure out whether its faulty or if there is some other issue I might be unaware of.

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks
Zach
Hi,
Is it an electrical problem - rather than a water one?
Is the cable fully unwound from the washer and are you using an extension reel - if so is this fully unwound (to prevent resistance, overload and over heating).
Cheers
Steve

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

There is no electrical extension cable in use. The cable is fully unwound and I've tried a few different plug sockets too.

The electric never actually cuts out to the washer. The motor is quite happy to run indefinetly when the water is in low pressure mode. Its only when I flip it into high pressure mode that the pulsing starts to happy.

As mentioned, two seperate times it run without pulsing for 3-5 minutes.

#7 ·
I'll try the wire mesh thing in the morning and if that doesn't work then I'll take it back to Paps and get them to swap it for another unit.

I thought about whether it might be the water pressure but then that doesn't explain why it worked fine for 2 periods of 3-4 minutes. Our water pressure and water supply are pretty consistent.

#8 ·
Nothing at all to do with the water pressure. The motor is what creastes the pressure. The inlet can be a tiny trickle and you will still get high pressure coming out.

If the wire filter is not the source then there is an internal problem and take it back to the supplier.

#11 ·
Simple physics.

A pressure washer works on the priciple of SUCTION.

The pump sucks the water and so the water pressure coming does not have much of a influence on the pressure...Unless it was only a tiny trickle.

The greater the suction the better the outflow. The out flow is controlled by a venturi system which gives the effect of the pressure.

#15 ·
This is for the sarcastic clever clogs on here. I worked for one of the largest pump manufacturers in the world whilst living in the R.S.A. They produced pressure washers and they worked as I stated.

However I appreciate there are different types now on the market and over a period of time the specs will change.

As no manufacturer was stated I gave my helpfull advice.

#25 ·
Just got back from the pool and amazed how clean the stones look now. Probably going to have to go over it again though as there were some really stubborn spots that resisted it. Not sure how as its rated at 150 bar. Probably just need to get closer.

I do not think the patio on this house had ever been pressure cleaned. The house was empty for 2½ years prior to us moving in.

Gonna get into the habit of doing it every month or two now to stop the dirt and grime from building up.

Anyway, thanks again expatme. Am really amazed how clean it looks now.

#26 ·
You do need to be careful where you use the high pressure jet as you can cause damage around joints in crazy paving, mosaic etc where the water penetrates and quickly lifts out the mortar and even the paving. The cheap Cyprus natural stone crazy paving around my pool delaminates simply with the jet from a garden hose! While the cleaning action of the pressure jet can be remarkable, its often safer to use a mechanical stiff brush with a circular motion of the type you can often hire from a tool shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.