Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take Omeprazole. one 20 mg capsule each day. I won't die without it but life is rather uncomfortable without.

I'll have three month's supply when I leave the UK in just under three weeks, and would like to know whether it is available over the counter in a french pharmacy, or will I need a prescription?

I have reasonable french, so have no issue with going to a doctor and getting a scrip, but it would help to know in advance whether or not I will need to.

Many thanks.

G

·
Don't know if anyone is taking this particular medication here, but I would hazard a guess that treatments of this kind are subject to prescription. The easiest way to find out for sure would be to drop by a pharmacy when you first arrive, and ask, to save last minute problems when you are about to run out.

The other thing is that as a Brit if you're entitled to benefits under the French health system, you won't get your money back for unprescribed drugs. If you're here on a permanent basis, with a carte vitale etc, it might be as well to get to know a local doctor anyway, the 22 euros for the appointment is reimbursable, and you will have someone keeping an eye on your condition.

·
Administrator
50,467 Posts
I'll second Frogblogger's suggestion and just add that it's a good idea to get to know your local pharmacist when you first get to France. They can be extremely helpful on matters of medications - which ones are reimbursable, how to take them, and what things do and don't mix. They are also very knowledgeable about most of the over-the-counter items they stock and can recommend herbal and homeopathic remedies, if those interest you.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.