Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 12 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
RVGringo, I take 9 750mg pills a day (3 pills 3 times a day) for Crohn's. I'd need to take a 4-5 month supply, which is a 1000+ pills in a bunch of pretty large containers. The prescription including the daily quantity, is on each container. Is that likely to be good enough to get through customs? I presume it would make more sense to have it all together to show and explain if necessary rather than stuffing it in a bag and making it look like I was trying to hide something in the event they checked the bag.

There is a Mexican embassy in Atlanta. Do you know if there is any way to get advance approval on my medication and/or anything else to minimize the risk of problems at the border?

· Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the response. I meant to say consulate instead of embassy.

I wouldn't have any issue buying my medication in Mexico if they'd take my prescription written in the U.S. or if a prescription isn't required because it's not a narcotic. Any idea on how I'd check to see if my medication (sodium balsalazide) is available in Mexico? Until I know I could get the medication there I'd rather be safe and bring enough to get me through the trip.

Healthcare is a big issue for me. In an exploratory trip to different areas of Mexico, I'll need to make sure I can find a gastroenterologist who has some experience with Crohn's patients. I'll also have to figure out what to do about health care insurance. I currently have a high deductible policy in the U.S. that I already had before my Crohn's diagnosis. I might not be able to buy a policy in Mexico with a preexisting condition. Based on the much lower healthcare costs down there, all I'd want is a very high deductible policy for catastrophic events. I pay about $5000 a year for a high deductible ($2600 annually) now, which would cover a lot of medical care in Mexico based on what I've read.

I'm also concerned that if I moved to Mexico and dropped my U.S. healthcare coverage that I might not be able to move back to the U.S. and get insurance that I could afford until I was eligible for Medicare. I'm only 53 so that's still quite a way off.

· Registered
13 Posts
what pills do you take as 90% of drugs here are all over the counter i will go to the phar and get you a price and check the availabilty.
also check your insurance if they are paying they may not like the way mexico does it with out a doctor
That's very nice of you. I take Balsalazide Disodium, 750 mg capsules. It is the generic for Colazal. I pay out of pocket for it in the States unless I go through my annual deductible of $2600. I pay about $55-$60 for 270 capsules (a one month supply) at Costco; my local CVS quoted $399 for 270, believe it or not.

No need to make a special trip as I won't be down to Mexico until my house here sells and closes, but if you get the chance to ask when you're in a pharmacy that would be great.

1 - 3 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.