Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anybody knows the law around sending and receiving prescription medication through the mail.

My fiance is a US citizen in the UK on a fiance visa, and can't use NHS services until after he receives his spouse visa. He is on some medication which is prescribed in the US, and has been told that he can purchase it privately from pharmacies here, but it will cost around £2000 a month, which we cannot afford.

His parents are willing to send his medication through the mail from the US, but I'm not sure on the rules regarding sending medication internationally from the US, or if there are any laws preventing the receipt of prescription drugs through international mail in the UK. I really don't think it's worth anybody breaking the law.

I've looked into it but I can't find any reference to the laws around this which either means it's fine, or it's just so obviously illegal that they didn't even think it was worth mentioning. I'm just wondering if anybody has come up against this before?

Thanks!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
There is no rule against receiving prescription medicine from abroad, though people are advised against buying online as you may be sent fake, diluted or out-of-date medication. As your fiancé is getting genuine medication, it should be fine.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Yes. When HMRC scan the packet as it comes to UK (only random samples are) and the ingredients match the code, it will be passed.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anybody knows the law around sending and receiving prescription medication through the mail.

My fiance is a US citizen in the UK on a fiance visa, and can't use NHS services until after he receives his spouse visa. He is on some medication which is prescribed in the US, and has been told that he can purchase it privately from pharmacies here, but it will cost around £2000 a month, which we cannot afford.

His parents are willing to send his medication through the mail from the US, but I'm not sure on the rules regarding sending medication internationally from the US, or if there are any laws preventing the receipt of prescription drugs through international mail in the UK. I really don't think it's worth anybody breaking the law.

I've looked into it but I can't find any reference to the laws around this which either means it's fine, or it's just so obviously illegal that they didn't even think it was worth mentioning. I'm just wondering if anybody has come up against this before?

Thanks!
Once your Fiancee qualifies for NHS will he be affected by the new 150% rule?
Does he have Health Insurance?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.