Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relocating to the UAE in August and I just found out that the medical insurance doesn't cover prescriptions and that prescriptions tend to be very costly. I am taking a few medications that I can't go without and am on them for life due to medical issues...they aren't on the banned list...but how do you find out what the cost range would be? I'm not finding anything online.

I'm taking Metoporol, Lasix, Lisinopril, Ranitidine, and Omeprozole.

Thanks!

Kym

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,944 Posts
I am relocating to the UAE in August and I just found out that the medical insurance doesn't cover prescriptions and that prescriptions tend to be very costly. I am taking a few medications that I can't go without and am on them for life due to medical issues...they aren't on the banned list...but how do you find out what the cost range would be? I'm not finding anything online.

I'm taking Metoporol, Lasix, Lisinopril, Ranitidine, and Omeprozole.

Thanks!

Kym
Hi Kym,
Most prescription medications are covered on medical insurance - you normally pay a small fee to see your doctor (between 5 to 100 AED, depending on cover). Medications are then free - normally give you a three month supply for each visit.
From the list above, you can buy most of these sorts of things over the counter.
Common medicines cost around 30 to 50 AED for 30 tablets, if you need to buy them yourself.
Pantoprozole - similar PPI to Omeprozole is actually quite expensive and costs about 250 AED for 30 tablets.
Above are for indication only - prices do vary between each Emirate and can vary by time of year.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Hi Kym, Most prescription medications are covered on medical insurance - you normally pay a small fee to see our doctor (between 5 to 100 AED, depending on cover). Medications are then free - normally give you a three month supply for each visit. From the list above, you can buy most of these sorts of things over the counter. Common medicines cost around 30 to 50 AED for 30 tablets, if you need to buy them yourself. Pantoprozole - similar PPI to Omeprozole is actually quite expensive and costs about 250 AED for 30 tablets. Above are for indication only - prices do vary between each Emirate and can vary by time of year. Cheers Steve
I've got quite comprehensive cover but not all the medications I've been prescribed have been covered. A friend of mine has cover where a certain percentage of the cost of some medications is covered. Are you absolutely sure prescriptions are not covered at all on your policy?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts