Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

Apologies if a similar post has been made. I've searched for a post with generic advice on the last preparations, but there doesn't appear to be one. Also, some of the posts that do give some advice are all separate.

All I'm looking for is some advice on all of the processes and preparations I can make, ready for my move to Dubai in August. I'm not talking about things like degree attestations, CRBs etc... that's all done. What I'm more concerned with is aspects of getting my finances in place... tax... student loan repayment... National insurance... any other documentation... I just want to make sure all of that is ready and completed before I leave.

If anyone has any feedback as to how best to prepare, please let me know.

Cheers!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dear all, Apologies if a similar post has been made. I've searched for a post with generic advice on the last preparations, but there doesn't appear to be one. Also, some of the posts that do give some advice are all separate. All I'm looking for is some advice on all of the processes and preparations I can make, ready for my move to Dubai in August. I'm not talking about things like degree attestations, CRBs etc... that's all done. What I'm more concerned with is aspects of getting my finances in place... tax... student loan repayment... National insurance... any other documentation... I just want to make sure all of that is ready and completed before I leave. If anyone has any feedback as to how best to prepare, please let me know. Cheers!
will you be employed by a UK company on a secondment?if so get them to sort out your NT Tax code and also check about the NI options that you will have for reduced payments (you can fully opt out but not recommended if you plan to return to ÙK)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, I'll be working for GEMS education on a two year contract at least! Thanks for your advice so far!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nope, I'll be working for GEMS education on a two year contract at least! Thanks for your advice so far!
still go to your local tax office and they will help you to explain and fill in the necessary forms about leaving the UK and the residency rules that apply for non payment of tax when you finally return to the UK. It is very complicated so and tax office are very helpful and best to be open and honest with them. Also keep very good records of your travel back to the UK and your working time/hours in the UAE.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys... I think I've done my research properly, and you're all right with the tax things. I'll give them a ring and speak to someone.

What about student loans though, do we have to get in touch with them? I'm hoping they'll just forget about me, although I know that's never going to happen!

·
Registered
479 Posts
You need to contact student loans and they will talk you through the procedure. You can create a standing order from your UK bank account to pay monthly payments. Also, set up an online login with student loans so you can access your loan payments etc.

And no they won't forget about you......you may want to go back to the UK again to teach so just keep your payments going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts