Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am planning my move to Perth in couple of months.

I have few queries regarding the move so thought of asking here.

Background:
We are from India and are a family of 3 (Me , My wife and 2 years old son). I am looking for a job as business analyst in Perth.

Queries:

1) What are the options for initial stay in Perth?

Is that I am required to stay in hotels for 2-3 weeks initially or I can book a studio apartment from India only? I looked at realestate.com.au but I think its for rentals and I have heard that getting rented apartment requires proof of income.

2) How much money to carry?

I am thinking to carry 20K AUD currently for initial 6 Months.

3) Which bank account to open?

How is Cash Investment Account from Commonwealth Bank of Australia?

4) Will buying a car initally absolutely necessary?

I need to reserve some funds for the car if that a absolute necessity or Can I use public transport for some time?

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Hi there

1. You can book short stay apartments/ holiday rentals for the initial few weeks until you are able to secure a long term rental and this can be done from India. There are a few people who are moving to Perth in the coming months, so I will leave it to them to advise you of companies that they have used.

Yes, in order to move into a long term rental property, you will require proof of income and/or be able to demonstrate that you are able to pay the rent for the duration of the tenancy. If you've got savings and have yet to secure a job, you can use your bank statement as proof of funds though you may have to pay for a few months upfront to stand a realistic chance of securing a property.

2. I can't really comment on how much is enough or too much. It all depends on how you live, what your expenses will be, etc. If you find a job within the first 3 months, then you can survive quite comfortably on $20k but I guess if you struggle to find work, then straightaway the pressure mounts. If you do find that you struggle to find work in your field, I would recommend that you take up any part-time/ temporary position that you are able to get just to bring in an income and not put a lot of pressure on your savings.

3. I bank with NAB. You can open your bank account prior to your arrival and you should have your bank details within 24 hours of contacting them. Whilst you can transfer money into the account, you will not be able to withdraw any money until the bank have sighted your passport and confirmed your identity. Once that is done, you will get a bank card right there and then and can head straight for teh ATM.

4. No, there is an efficient transport network in Perth. Provided that you stay close to the CBD and neighbouring suburbs, then you can rely on public transport. However, if you choose an isolated property, you may find that you need a car but most new migrants typically rely on public transport for the first few months. You can buy a smartrider card, which will entitle you to slightly cheaper fares.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.