Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has been invited to do a residency in Spain in Spring of 2013. We just found out and are beginning our preparations. We have a son who will be in 9th grade at that time and need to sort out education, a good place to live that provides a great experience for he and I while my wife performs her academic and research duties. We've been told Valencia is good place, that Barcelona is great but expensive -and at present thats about as much as we know. We lived in the UK in the early 90's with regular visits to the Camargue near Arles and are excited about the prospect of exploring Spain! Any and all practical advice is welcome!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Valencia is lovely, and by the coast. I'd suggest you stay close to a big city as recession has hit hard in smaller towns like Javea, Denia Oliva, Moraira etc. Madrid is also worth considering however it's inland. Elche is another medium sized City, and Alicante. Personally I prefer Valencia or Elche, Alicante I don't seem to warm to! Madrid is capital and BIG! Good luck.

·
Administrator
36,444 Posts
My wife has been invited to do a residency in Spain in Spring of 2013. We just found out and are beginning our preparations. We have a son who will be in 9th grade at that time and need to sort out education, a good place to live that provides a great experience for he and I while my wife performs her academic and research duties. We've been told Valencia is good place, that Barcelona is great but expensive -and at present thats about as much as we know. We lived in the UK in the early 90's with regular visits to the Camargue near Arles and are excited about the prospect of exploring Spain! Any and all practical advice is welcome!
:welcome:

the thing that jumps out at me is that with your son in 9th grade he'd need an American school?

if you have a look at the 'useful links' sticky, there is a link there for American Schools in Spain

that might help you narrow it down a bit.............

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for your speedy reply. I've done a first look at a couple of schools and am suffering a bit of "sticker shock" -though I'm sure that those schools deliver a great deal of value for what they charge.

Has anyone had any experience with online education through a school from the states? As I understand it, we might be able to have him study the Ohio curriculum from abroad. The upside: its cheaper. The downside: 1) his dad is his tutor 2) he misses out on forming local friendships.

I will further explore the useful links page, but welcome other thoughts on how to address this issue.

All the best,

:welcome:

the thing that jumps out at me is that with your son in 9th grade he'd need an American school?

if you have a look at the 'useful links' sticky, there is a link there for American Schools in Spain

that might help you narrow it down a bit.............

1 - 4 of 4 Posts