Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

As most of you know, I'm in the middle of my 5 year settlement route - spouse. I just successfully applied for my second round of FLR(M) and have received my BRP this week (yay!).

Because I'm in the first wave of people that will reach ILR under the new 5 year system, obviously this won't happen for another 2.5 years and as such, the ILR application that shows on the UKVI website will be irrelevant to me.

I'm trying to be organised and plan ahead, and was wondering what advice, if any, people had that I can do now to prepare for ILR. I understand that this is all speculative, but here's the things I'm doing now to save myself time (and stress!) down the line:

Keeping all bank statements and payslips issued to me and my husband.
Keeping all "official" post that we receive (job correspondence, bank correspondence, utilities, tenancy agreements, etc).
Keeping a record of all trips we take out of the UK and duration.

Other than these, is there anything that anyone can advise/think of that we could be doing now to save ourselves some headaches down the line? I don't know what the ILR requirements will be in 2.5 years, but anything I can do now to avoid rushing around in 2.5 years time will be great!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
You can also use your annual Council Tax statement(s) as a piece of mail to prove cohabitation... there does not appear to be any limit on how many you can use... I used 3 of them (the re-printed one with my name included on it from '12 that we ordered after I arrived in October of that year, '13, and '14) when I applied for ILR last October.

NHS appointment letters also count as proof of address, so those are easy to retain as well.

I'd say just keep the stuff that you do have (old passports/marriage certificate etc) in one spot (I got a cardboard file from Ryman and used that to keep old passport/NiNo letter/driving permit paper counterpart etc in and put it all in a drawer).

In regards to the post... I'd suggest that you get a bunch of Legal size envelopes and use them to hold 4-6 months worth of mail that you collect, in date received order... after 4-6 months, write the dates that the mail covers on the front of the envelope and put it with the other stuff you have set aside and start on your next envelope. When it's time for you to fill out your ILR form, you just need to gather up your envelopes and cherry pick your way through them to get what you need to satisfy the proof of cohabitation requirement.

For travel outside of the UK, I've got a document in the "Notes" section of my iPhone that I have used to record each and every time we quit the UK.... I figured that my phone is a good place to keep it as it's convenient to keep it to hand, it's unobtrusive (no scraps of paper laying around that could potentially get lost), and I can start/end an entry as my trip starts and concludes.

Hope this helps. :)

Reactions: Leanna

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All very good ideas, WCCG, thanks! It's on my list of things to do this summer - get a proper filing cabinet and get everything organised, but in the meantime getting folders and keeping things arranged by date will be helpful. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm going to be on that collection route soon :). Just applying for FLr(m) next month. For me I still need to do the life in UK test which I will do pretty soon after thus application. Last year I did the cambridge english exam which won't be valid after November this year so I may need to redo an ielts, although the advisory services from cambridge thought I wouldn't need to when applying for indefinite. One thing that helps me is that my two kids can be registered as british at 3 years so i won't need to do IRL x 3. It's really costing me a fortune for Flr(m) x 3. I'm so happy to have this site as guidance, people here are great :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.