Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I wondered if anyone had any advice for me or similar experiences.

I have been living in Melbourne coming up 4 years & sponsored for just over 3. My employer has said that they will consider supporting me for PR next month - however I am now pregnant (16 weeks). My partner is Australian and we will go down the defacto route if needed but my preferance is employer sponsored as it is quicker & cheaper!

My issue is - it is unlikely that my visa will be processed by the time the baby is born - and I'm worried I will miss out on the Gov Subsidised Paid Parental Leave (need PR)which would be so helpful to us and I do not want to have to return to work too soon after giving birth. We thought we could get the baby bonus but this is now being scrapped, 2 weeks before my baby is due.

Does anybody know of any loopholes with Paid Parental Leave, perhaps my partner could apply on my behalf? I thought I could wait until my PR is granted as I have 52 weeks after the baby is born to apply - however the eligibility states that I must have residency from the babies date of birth.

Any advice is appreciated.

G

·
If you apply for a defacto visa and your partner gets his MP involved to speed up processing you will be eligible for paid parental leave.

Better option imo as you cant have maternity leave on a 457 and if your PR doesnt come through you will be in a tricky situation come the babies birth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you apply for a defacto visa and your partner gets his MP involved to speed up processing you will be eligible for paid parental leave.

Better option imo as you cant have maternity leave on a 457 and if your PR doesnt come through you will be in a tricky situation come the babies birth.
Hi there - thanks for the response.

Did you mean the Parliament Member for the area? Do you think that would make any difference with processing speed? I do think employer sponsored would still be quicker. I know I'm still entitled to my company maternity leave (6 weeks paid) and 12 months unpaid - I'm not worried about that - it's more the Paid Parental Leave which is worth 11k, really don't want to miss out on that.

G

·
No, once you go off on leave bar normal holidays on a 457 you are in breach of your visa conditions because you need to be in full time paid employment. Being on maternity leave is not covered in a 457 because you won't be working full time.

Yes it would help because you will be about to give birth to an australian citizen and your partner is australian and the representative has a duty to help you and can get things moving where they intervine. As soon as you get the 309 or 100 depending on the length of your relationship you are entitled to most things with no waiting period as the spouse of an australian.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts