Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 8 Posts

· Read Only
18,691 Posts
Of course, if the baby is born in Australia, you will need to register the birth with the French Consulate - in those circumstances you will have no issues getting him/her a French version birth certificate plus passport. Check with the French Consulate in Sydney. If you do this, you will save yourselves/your child lots of future headaches, albeit your child will be French from birth if the father's name is on the birth certificate (and the father has acknowledged paternity).

Conversely, if the baby is born in France and you want him/her to have Australian nationality, you will need to ensure the birth is registered with the Australian Consulate - check with the Australian Consulate in Paris.

· Read Only
18,691 Posts
My CV took a couple of months - from application to CPAM, receipt of attestation of coverage, to the actual card. The process seems to be somewhat more complex/lengthy sometimes for those working. I believe most of the PUMA backlog has been cleared and qualification for coverage is much more straightforward for those not actually working, however potentially add 3 months or so to the wait time (though this should not be the case for those married to someone who is covered). BUT waiting times do vary across the country.

· Read Only
18,691 Posts
. As others have noted, the child will be a dual national regardless of his birth country.
I haven't checked, but I'm not sure that would be the case if the baby is born in France, UNLESS, of course, the birth is registered with the Australian Consulate (Australia can be a bit funny about nationality). Of course, it's worth bearing in mind that transmission of citizenship of any country can change over time, sometimes even retrospectively,, which is why I always advocate that people register overseas births with the relevant consulate.

1 - 3 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.