Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an American, married to a British man, and we are expecting our first child at the end of August. I will be eligible to apply for ILR in October and want to make sure that I don't mistakenly apply for any pregnancy/child benefits that would cause any problems with this. While looking through the NHS booklet from my midwife, I had a few questions I hope I can get some help with.

1. I assume we'll be able to get the tax credits and child benefit because the child will be British and my husband is working.

2. I see there is a one-off Health in Pregnancy Grant that almost every pregnant woman gets (not income based). However, it doesn say you may not be able to claim if: you are subject to immigration control, or you are not ordinarily resident in the UK. Does my current visa status mean that I am subject to immigration control and therefore not eligible for this, or is this not considered recourse to public funds? If I am eligible for this, it would be beneficial to us. But I don't want to risk applying for it if I am not allowed to.

3. I am currently in a temporary contract position at an embassy where I am considered self-employed for tax/NI purposes. I know I will have enough work weeks to claim Maternity Allowance, but I am a bit confused about the application process.
a. When I figure my 13 week period to show my earnings, does this have to be a consecutive 13 weeks? My working contract fluctuates a bit, so I didn't know if I could pick and choose 13 weeks when I was working while disregarding time in between when I was not working. I think I'll be able to come up with 13 consecutive weeks where I was working, but I'm not completely certain.
b. Will my maternity certificate (form MAT B1) be returned? I think I need it for something else, so I wanted to know if I'll need to request more than one copy of it.
c. Also, my current job does not supply payslips. I have been keeping the deposit receipt from the bank so that I have something to show the amount for the months I have worked. Will I need to submit these, or are they unneccessary since I am technically self-employed? Again, will I get them back if I need to submit them?

4. Since I am on a temporary contract at an embassy, are they required to give me paid time off for antenatal care? I have told them I am pregnant, but I don't know if they are excempt from this. It really only affects how I'll schedule my appointments.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give! :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
modzy78 said:
I am an American, married to a British man, and we are expecting our first child at the end of August. I will be eligible to apply for ILR in October and want to make sure that I don't mistakenly apply for any pregnancy/child benefits that would cause any problems with this. While looking through the NHS booklet from my midwife, I had a few questions I hope I can get some help with.

1. I assume we'll be able to get the tax credits and child benefit because the child will be British and my husband is working.

2. I see there is a one-off Health in Pregnancy Grant that almost every pregnant woman gets (not income based). However, it doesn say you may not be able to claim if: you are subject to immigration control, or you are not ordinarily resident in the UK. Does my current visa status mean that I am subject to immigration control and therefore not eligible for this, or is this not considered recourse to public funds? If I am eligible for this, it would be beneficial to us. But I don't want to risk applying for it if I am not allowed to.

3. I am currently in a temporary contract position at an embassy where I am considered self-employed for tax/NI purposes. I know I will have enough work weeks to claim Maternity Allowance, but I am a bit confused about the application process.
a. When I figure my 13 week period to show my earnings, does this have to be a consecutive 13 weeks? My working contract fluctuates a bit, so I didn't know if I could pick and choose 13 weeks when I was working while disregarding time in between when I was not working. I think I'll be able to come up with 13 consecutive weeks where I was working, but I'm not completely certain.
b. Will my maternity certificate (form MAT B1) be returned? I think I need it for something else, so I wanted to know if I'll need to request more than one copy of it.
c. Also, my current job does not supply payslips. I have been keeping the deposit receipt from the bank so that I have something to show the amount for the months I have worked. Will I need to submit these, or are they unneccessary since I am technically self-employed? Again, will I get them back if I need to submit them?

4. Since I am on a temporary contract at an embassy, are they required to give me paid time off for antenatal care? I have told them I am pregnant, but I don't know if they are excempt from this. It really only affects how I'll schedule my appointments.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give! :)
I'm pretty sure the health in pregnancy grant was withdrawn at the start of 2011 so I don't think it's available to anyone anymore. The sure start grant also underwent changes but that is usually only available to women on benefits anyway.

Tax credits also have been re structured - with much lower thresholds. And it is based on a household/combined income, so if both you and your husband are working it's unlikely you would get much if anything but definitely look into it and check.

Child benefit you will be able to claim (or your husband can) but if either of you earn enough to be in the upper tax bracket child benefit will be withdrawn at the start of 2013.

I don't know about the other things sorry!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure the health in pregnancy grant was withdrawn at the start of 2011 so I don't think it's available to anyone anymore.

My booklet is dated 2009, so it's possible that's changed. I'll be sure to do some more research online.

The sure start grant also underwent changes but that is usually only available to women on benefits anyway.
That's the case from what I understand, so I know I'm not eligible for that.

Tax credits also have been re structured - with much lower thresholds. And it is based on a household/combined income, so if both you and your husband are working it's unlikely you would get much if anything but definitely look into it and check.
I've been hearing some things on the news, so it doesn't surprise me. I wasn't sure if it was income based, so I'll look into it.

Child benefit you will be able to claim (or your husband can) but if either of you earn enough to be in the upper tax bracket child benefit will be withdrawn at the start of 2013.
We won't be in the upper tax bracket, so we should be able to claim it.

I don't know about the other things sorry!

Thank you for the information!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.