Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although these are hypothetical scenarios but I am sure many people might have faced them. I was wondering what will an applicant do in these cases :

1. Suppose you and your pregnant spouse have just been alloted PR visa and you are expecting a baby next month.
Obviously you will wait for another three months before migrating to Aus. Now in this case how will you take your baby along with you?

2. Suppose you and your pregnant spouse are expecting both PR visa and baby next month? What to do in that case for baby's inclusion in your migration?

3. Worst case: Suppose you got only 2 months left to make initial entry when the baby was born. This may be because your first medical was 10 months back and Initial entry = First medical date + 1year..
Now in this case, will Initial entry deadline be pushed further due to change of circumstances ?

4. Can you do "Change in Circumstances" before baby is born.

5. Is there any extra fee involved?

Sorry for these mind boggling scenarios but they may become reality for someone, so your expert advice may help avoiding them :)

Reactions: abcd_guy and Cheema

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hi MP

good thread

in case the baby is born before the visa grant, u give in change of circumstances form and the baby is included in the application provided u give them the passport etc.

suppose the baby is born n u hv the visa, u wud need a visa for the baby too.. get a passport, apply for the visa and done. think it takes 2-3 months, took tht much time for a frend

suppose u hv few months left, say 2 for ur initial entry.. u still apply for the baby's visa and try to make it before it xpires..

in the last case above its best to take an opinion from an agent..

u can not give in change of circumstances and still xpect the application to move forth, they i think wud halt it there and wait for teh baby to be born if the meds were taken 10 months back, they wud hv to be taken again.. my guess :)

dunno if m making sense, but there is no fee if u put in change of circumstances form

let someone commnt on this as well :), i am slightly lost these days managing my own papers

·
Registered
210 Posts
Before PR Grant:

If your baby is born before the visa is granted then it is just a simple matter of letting your case officer know (providing passport and birth certificate) so that the baby is added on to your application. The baby will also have to undergo a simple medical check (no x-ray and not the full check, so this is cheaper than the normal medical checks).

In any case, you should advise the case officer that you are pregnant when you find out that you are pregnant. This can be done through a simple email to the case officer.

If you have not taken your X-rays before you became pregnant, and you are reluctant to do so, the visa will not normally be granted until your baby has been born and you have completed the medical checks.

After PR Grant:

If your baby is born before you have made your initial entry and outside of Australia, you will have to apply for a Child Visa (this does cost money!).

If your baby is born once you have made your initial entry and in Australia, then the baby will automatically be considered an Australian Citizen.

Although these are hypothetical scenarios but I am sure many people might have faced them. I was wondering what will an applicant do in these cases :

1. Suppose you and your pregnant spouse have just been alloted PR visa and you are expecting a baby next month.
Obviously you will wait for another three months before migrating to Aus. Now in this case how will you take your baby along with you?

2. Suppose you and your pregnant spouse are expecting both PR visa and baby next month? What to do in that case for baby's inclusion in your migration?

3. Worst case: Suppose you got only 2 months left to make initial entry when the baby was born. This may be because your first medical was 10 months back and Initial entry = First medical date + 1year..
Now in this case, will Initial entry deadline be pushed further due to change of circumstances ?

4. Can you do "Change in Circumstances" before baby is born.

5. Is there any extra fee involved?

Sorry for these mind boggling scenarios but they may become reality for someone, so your expert advice may help avoiding them :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Veronika. What about

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hmm, you mean:

You have had your visas granted, but you are not sure if you can make the initial entry because of the expected date of birth?

Generally speaking the DIAC does not change initial entry dates. And I'd be very careful about this.

Officially this is not really a serious enough reason for an extension of the initial entry date and there may be an issue as to why the case officer was not informed before about the pregnancy.

But to be honest, case officers differ (some are dragons and some are angels), and if you catch them on a good day they may extend the initial entry, whereas if you catch them on a bad day, they will not.

So in my opinion, it is best not to count on this and make sure that you do enter before the baby is born. I know that there are rules about when you can or cannot fly if you are pregnant, so I'd also be making sure that you check with the airlines.

Cheers,
Veronika

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You could go through Immigration and get right back on the return flight the same day. In that case you've made the initial entry. Your spouse could come with you and do the same. In that case you've validated your PR and you're now on your RRV (5 yrs).

Then when back in India you can go through the paperwork to add your child to your visa and then make your intended settlement when you are ready. This means an additional 2 Round-trip tickets and I know that is not in-expensive.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes thanks. Seems the only booby trap remains when your wife can't travel for 3 months due to pregnancy and you got only 2 months to validate PR entry. And if you get hitler CO, you lose your wife's visa :-(

Hope nobody falls into that.. and I agree with SOMV that keeping CO informed earlier will keep that trap at bay.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
i guess this is one of the reason why they suggest not getting the Meds done before being asked for it, it reduces ur Initial entry time span

i know people who get so impatient, they get their meds and PCC done much before they are asked for and then once the CO has the file, they have to go for it again..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry for jumping in this thread.......

Me n My wife ...ACS done, IELTS done too, and now we got news that we have to take care of the third one in PR process as well...:) she is pregnant.

I am about to apply PR next week using online process. As we know now, do I have to submit anything extra along with my PR file?

Will it affect on my wife's medicals? blood pressure, weight, may differ...

We are not planning to fly to AUS before baby is born..

Amit.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hi amit, no u need not give anything extra right now, wait for the CO and when they do ask for medicals, you can tell them you are waiting fro your wife to deliver, incase the CO is allocated after the baby, you just give a change of circumstances form and get ur baby added in the application.

all the best and congratulations :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thx for quick reply,

Can i chose not to wait until my wife deliver the kid and let her go for medicals if CO allocated before her delivery and while she is pregnant.

Will there be any problems in medicals if she is pregnant?
Baby's visa can be managed later i guess..

Amit.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
they take an Xray amit, which I believe isnt good for a pregnant lady. you should consult her doctor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thx for the valuable information, baby gave IELTS along with us and scored excellent...now we will go for PR all together

Will wait till she deliver.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am interested in comments in this scenario,
Your Wife has just found out she is pregnant,but you expect to get the Visa granted next month,
You should inform "change of circumstances"but if you wait for Visa to be granted and then inform,
what is advantage informing before visa is granted besides compliance as you could risk delaying app.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi David:

The CO has the discretion to 'hold' the grant of the visa in case a baby is due shortly. If the CO is not aware of this then he/she can grant the visa and at that point you have to file a new visa application for the baby if a baby comes after you get your PR visa. Until the visa is 'granted' or 'denied' the visa application is still open to processing and any additions you may wish to make.

I am interested in comments in this scenario,
Your Wife has just found out she is pregnant,but you expect to get the Visa granted next month,
You should inform "change of circumstances"but if you wait for Visa to be granted and then inform,
what is advantage informing before visa is granted besides compliance as you could risk delaying app.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I agree if a baby comes along,you need to file a new app,but if the baby is not born and you decide to travel while pregnant surely you do not need a visa but just need to inform of "change of circumstances"
But what is benefit of informing as I intend to travel before baby is born

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Then there are some other factors in this scenario:

1. X-ray for the health check, many doctors/countries don't do an x-ray if pregnant. This will affect the health check of the visa, so you'd need to inform the CO for that.
2. Flying after the 2nd tri-mester. Many airlines need to have a doctors note to allow a flight past the 2nd tri-mester and some have a policy that doesn't allow it.
3. Finding a new doctor and hospital before the baby is born in Australia. Would there be enough time to do all of that depending on the stage of pregnancy?
4. Moving is stressful, does your wife need that?

It won't affect your travel individually, but if you wife intends to come also then it does.

I agree if a baby comes along,you need to file a new app,but if the baby is not born and you decide to travel while pregnant surely you do not need a visa but just need to inform of "change of circumstances"
But what is benefit of informing as I intend to travel before baby is born

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very good points you raise,
Thankfully medicals done and all fine.
I understand you can fly up to 7 mths circa
Finding a Doctor is a challenge but we have family in Oz so they can help,I am trying to minimise stress of moving by planning.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Finding a Doctor is a challenge but we have family in Oz so they can help,I am trying to minimise stress of moving by planning[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
62 Posts
X-ray

Finding a Doctor is a challenge but we have family in Oz so they can help,I am trying to minimise stress of moving by planning.
Was the X-ray asked for your wife, even though she was pregnant at that time?Did u get the x-ray done along with other tests?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.