Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please could someone assist me with some advice. I am currently claiming French unemployment benefit (i previously worked in Switzerland)...so I would like to become pregnant again soon and have been told that I will no longer get unemployment benefit however I will be covered by the social security (I am still waiting on my number). So my question is if my unemployment benefit finishes as soon as I am pregnant do the social security start to pay immediately? I understand that they will pay me maternity benefit (I think it is 16 weeks in France) but what about the 9 months of pregnancy?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

·
Registered
157 Posts
The way I understand it, you continue to receive unemployment benefits during your pregnancy, up until the time you would normally stop working (about 6 weeks before the birth). At that point, and during the maternity leave after the birth, your payments are taken over by the sécurité sociale.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Please could someone assist me with some advice. I am currently claiming French unemployment benefit (i previously worked in Switzerland)...so I would like to become pregnant again soon and have been told that I will no longer get unemployment benefit however I will be covered by the social security (I am still waiting on my number). So my question is if my unemployment benefit finishes as soon as I am pregnant do the social security start to pay immediately? I understand that they will pay me maternity benefit (I think it is 16 weeks in France) but what about the 9 months of pregnancy?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Why would you want to become pregnant when you are unemployed and living on benefits?

(I expect to be shot down in flames for this question)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To Sarah...thanks for the info however I believe it is incorrect as the unemployment have said they finish paying as soon as you become pregnant

As for having the same question as Crawford here is my response to you both:

a) I put this question on this site asking for advice not for criticism or indeed judgement

b) Perhaps before you both get on your high horses I would like to point out that; you don't know me, anything about my background or the fact that I have an illness therefore perhaps before making your judgemental comments making it sound like I am a benefit scrounger you might try to consider the fact that I asked the question is because I have never been unemployed before!

c) Directly to Crawford, since you added nothing but criticism, no advice or help in response to my post. I do feel sorry for you, do you just trawl peoples posts to answer their questions for assistance in a judgemental way? My response to that is; get a life.

Perhaps you may consider peoples feelings in the future before your judgemental comments.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
To Sarah...thanks for the info however I believe it is incorrect as the unemployment have said they finish paying as soon as you become pregnant

As for having the same question as Crawford here is my response to you both:

a) I put this question on this site asking for advice not for criticism or indeed judgement

b) Perhaps before you both get on your high horses I would like to point out that; you don't know me, anything about my background or the fact that I have an illness therefore perhaps before making your judgemental comments making it sound like I am a benefit scrounger you might try to consider the fact that I asked the question is because I have never been unemployed before!

c) Directly to Crawford, since you added nothing but criticism, no advice or help in response to my post. I do feel sorry for you, do you just trawl peoples posts to answer their questions for assistance in a judgemental way? My response to that is; get a life.

Perhaps you may consider peoples feelings in the future before your judgemental comments.

Not judging or criticizing ...... just asking the question, since it appears to be a rather desperate position to put yourself in and you did say "so I would like to become pregnant again soon" - which if unemployed and possibly with only social security to live on could be quite arduous.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A rather desperate position? Perhaps this is a stereotypical mindset of yours of how people who are unemployed live? Lets get something straight; thankfully I am by no means desperate.

a) I worked in switzerland for a long time therefore paid unemployment insurance which I can claim in France when unemployed, given that salaries in Switzerland are much much higher than in France maybe you want to do the maths..

b) Given that the jobs available in France dont even pay more than the 57% unemployment benefit that I receive, I dont believe it is desperate to receive more money from an insurance that I paid for a long time.

c) What I would believe to be desperate would be to find a job with an employer then tell them a few months later that I am pregnant and expect them to fund my maternity leave/sickness and give them false hope that I would return to work immediately afterwards

Gosh I thought this forum was for "like minded expats", I find your comments totally opinionated, unhelpful and wonder why you actually took time to comment on my post when you really had nothing constructive to say on the subject but obviously just wanted to voice your opinion on something which you know nothing about. I find that terribly sad.

·
Registered
157 Posts
They certainly can't stop your unemployment benefits until they receive your declaration de grossesse, which can be done up until the end of the third month. I stopped working when I was about 5 months pregnant (end of contract) and started receiving unemployment benefits after that, even though I had already declared my pregnancy. If I remember correctly, the sécu sends you a paper asking for your pay stubs and if you are receiving an allocation de chomage you send the papers from the pole-emploi instead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much qiubuo! I really appreciate your response! Especially from someone who has been in this position.
I have checked and pole emploi said they would stop paying when I would declare pregnancy and the social security would take over, even though I would still technically be looking for a job.
Social security said they would revert to the last 3 months salaries from my employment (before I became unemployed) and then pay 85%...I somehow think my not so good French has let me down and am not 100 per cent sure if this info is correct. From someone who has been in that position do you know how much/percentage the social security pay?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks so much qiubuo! I really appreciate your response! Especially from someone who has been in this position.
I have checked and pole emploi said they would stop paying when I would declare pregnancy and the social security would take over, even though I would still technically be looking for a job.
Social security said they would revert to the last 3 months salaries from my employment (before I became unemployed) and then pay 85%...I somehow think my not so good French has let me down and am not 100 per cent sure if this info is correct. From someone who has been in that position do you know how much/percentage the social security pay?
I don't know how much they pay, but if you found a site, post the link and we can read it to see if you have it right.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't know how much they pay, but if you found a site, post the link and we can read it to see if you have it right.
Yes, that would probably be best, since I found the calculation very complicated! 85% sounds about right but I'm not certain. It was paid to me on the basis of a daily rate, rather than a monthly one, which is why I have trouble remembering exactly how much it was compared to my salary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi BlondieC or anyone who could help,
I`m in similar situation and now I`d like to ask your or anyone else help. My contract is just finished and immediately after I became pregnant. So I was wonder that during the 9 months am I entitled for unemployment benefit or I will get only 3 month maternity leave - if I get at all? When should I declare my pregnancy at the pole-emploi? Are they going to pay? Could you tell me the process please? - and no - I was not planning to live on benefit - so I could appreciate for helping comments

·
Administrator
51,337 Posts
Shiba, you'd probably do best to ask your question at the local Pôle d'emploi. Normally, you are expected to declare your pregnancy pretty much as soon as you know about it (since there are protections that kick in right away). Your exact coverage for unemployment benefits will depend on how long your previous contract ran and other details, so it's probably best to get it all sorted out with the agency itself.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Thanks; I know that I`m entitled for unempolyment for long time as I worked here for more years now; This unemployment is quite new - I never used it before and its not clear that what is the situation when I`m pregnant.
E.g. do I still get money until the "maternity leave" - the 16 weeks (what I supposed to get from CAF? after my previous salary?) -, or I won`t get anything? - Do you know this one, please?
I know I have to declare but not sure when: e.g. first 3 months is the risk period. So when should I go to the pole-empoli? I have to go to the doctor first anyway. Unfortunately my limited French make it more difficult to get info thats why I`m asking here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.