Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little of the prefecture procedures?? I have an appointment my renewal soon and i wanted to know if i i will get the new visa stamp the same day. I wouldlike to travel the next day and i will need all my paperwork in order. So normally do they just take your paperwork and give you your new visa stamp the same day??

Thank you!

Ebonee

·
Administrator
50,369 Posts
You aren't actually renewing your visa per se, but rather your titre de séjour (residence permit). If you've already been here for a year, chances are you'll simply put in your application for a carte de séjour - and that will take a good 3 to 6 weeks to be available (depending on your prefecture).

If you're traveling on your US passport, there shouldn't be any problem as far as getting back into France. But if you're concerned, you could ask at your appointment and see if you will have a réceppisée (a receipt) for your carte de séjour application.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You aren't actually renewing your visa per se, but rather your titre de séjour (residence permit). If you've already been here for a year, chances are you'll simply put in your application for a carte de séjour - and that will take a good 3 to 6 weeks to be available (depending on your prefecture).

If you're traveling on your US passport, there shouldn't be any problem as far as getting back into France. But if you're concerned, you could ask at your appointment and see if you will have a réceppisée (a receipt) for your carte de séjour application.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev! So does that mean that once i have my renewal appointment they dont keep my passport? I can do on holidays and come back and pickup my carte de sejour?

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Bev! So does that mean that once i have my renewal appointment they dont keep my passport? I can do on holidays and come back and pickup my carte de sejour?

Thanks!
HI,

Prefecture will not keep your passeport. On your appointment date, they would issue you a piece of paper called "récépissé de demande de carte de séjour". And it depends on each préfecture how long for you to pick it up. My first year was with Anthony, I received a letter 3 weeks after the appointment. My second year was issued in Paris, and they gave me exact date and time for pick-up, and which was exactly 3 months later.

Cheers,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts