Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm an American living/working in London getting married to a French man in France. We've been together just over a year doing long distance between here and there never going 3 weeks without seeing each other. At the beginning of this year we decided to get married with me subsequently moving out there. Therefore we are getting married after which I will be applying for a spouse visa here in London.

So after 5 months of getting all my paperwork together which has finally been accepted we have now been given a pre- wedding interview date for next week (assume wedding date will be provided off the back of this if all goes well). I know this is probably nothing to worry about but I wanted to know if anyone has been through this recently? Will the fact that we've been together just over a year be a problem? Has anyone ever been turned down?

Any help/advice would be great!

Thanks!

·
Administrator
51,318 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem. Basically, the interview is required when it comes to foreigners and is supposed to weed out "mariages en blanc" - phoney marriages to get a visa for the foreigner. In some cases, the mayor (or whoever your interview is with) is vaguely embarrassed to have to conduct such an interview, but it normally is nothing like the old movie Green Card. (I.e. which side of the bed do you sleep on?)

If you speak passable French, use it as an excuse to show off your language skills a bit. Otherwise, it should just be a nice little chat - how did you meet? are you looking forward to moving to France? stuff like that.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I'm a Brit and I married a Française in 2010. We didn't have a pre-interview at all. The adjoint who married us was very nice and positive about our ages (60+) and French /English relations etc etc. He even tried a few words in English which was very brave of him. He said that he would omit the bit of the ceremony about having children - and everyone smiled!

DejW

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wanted to let you know I was in the same stressed position about the white interview, but when it came down to it, they did not ask us anything! So all that stressing for nothing. Good luck :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's funny how these interviews don't happen for everyone! I was quite surprised that my husband and I didn't have to have one since we're both a bit young. Funny enough, I remember telling the official that we wanted to get married before the 90 days so I could go back to get my spouse visa...still no interview. I think the woman looking over our paperwork got a good feeling about us because we were goofing off and just relaxed. BUUUUUT the day we were to get married the man marrying us came over and spoke with my husband and me (in English and French) and asked us a few questions. Also, during our ceremony I was wearing some REALLY arched heels and my poor legs were shaking because I hadn't wore heels in SOOOO long! He kept looking at my legs all funny! I made sure they noticed that I took my heels off afterwards because they probably thought I was nervous for some odd reason! Blasted heels :D

I'm sure you will be fine! As the others have said, they will just ask you when you both met, blah blah blah!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also, during our ceremony I was wearing some REALLY arched heels and my poor legs were shaking because I hadn't wore heels in SOOOO long! He kept looking at my legs all funny! I made sure they noticed that I took my heels off afterwards because they probably thought I was nervous for some odd reason! Blasted heels :D
Lol happened to me too with the shoes! I wasn't shaking but man those heels were uncomfortable! OP, get comfortable heels on your wedding day! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to update how it all went. It was.... intense! This is a small prefecture in Bourg Saint Maurice therefore I can only imagine I'm one of the first foreigners to them so they took this "exam" (yes this is how they referred to it) quite literally. The mayor sat us down and asked how we met, why we're getting married, that you don't need to be married just because you're in love - absolutely fine however it was handled in a very stern assessing tone which was off putting and stressful!!

Then he proceeds to direct myself out of the room and ask my boyfriend all these questions, such as what are my parents names, hobbies, job, birthday, phone number etc...

Then I re-enter and my boyfriend leaves and it was much of the same - my favourite question was how old is your boyfriends father.....?!

Nevertheless they then took 10min to make a decision (we waited outside), and all went well however it was not a pleasant experience - the mayor was not at all friendly, it was not a discussion it was an exam. I hope everyone else that goes through this has a better experience and not an exam!

Thanks for all your help before!

·
Administrator
51,318 Posts
You may want to check out what party your local mayor and town council are. If you're one of the first foreigners to get married in their little town, they may have felt the need to carry out a real "examination" of your case. The main purpose of the meeting is supposed to be to make sure yours is not a "mariage blanc" (i.e. a fake marriage like in the movie Green Card). And it sounds like the mayor may have seen the film (after all, it did have Gérard Dépardieu in it).

Don't take any of it personally. (I did, and it caused me all sorts of problems.) Immigration is a touchy subject here and each mayor has his or her own ideas about what their role is supposed to be in following the letter or the intent of the law. It may also have been all a big show so that you were suitably impressed with how seriously they take their "responsibilities."

The important thing is that you passed! And chances are, M. le Maire will be all sweetness and light and Mr. Welcome to France at the actual wedding. And keep remembering that, by the next time the town elections roll around, you may even have gotten your citizenship and can vote against him if you still find him offputting. (I swear, the main reason I got my citizenship was to vote. It feels real good when your chance comes!)
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 12 of 12 Posts