Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My fiance attended his biometrics appointment today at the VAC in Cairo. He also submitted supporting documents (originals and copies). Returning documents via courier is an additional extra that we paid for and he was issued with a DHL shipment receipt pre-dated with 5th July and was advised this will be the date his documents will be returned.

I have not previously read about pre-dated return shipping of documents, does anyone have any experience of this?

My understanding (which could be incorrect of course!) is that everything is returned together; passport and documentation, so does this mean that the passport might arrive separately if a decision has not been made by that date? If the passport is returned after the documents, do we need to arrange additional payment for its return by courier?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I really do not think that the date on the waybill matters (as long as it hasn't expired); the DMC will ship all of the documents back together when the decision has been made. Your husband's passport will be included with the other documents. I imagine they will let you know if there is any change in shipping, but I wouldn't expect it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to give a brief update on this: when my fiance submitted documents at his biometrics appointment in Cairo nine days ago on Thursday June 25th, he was surprised that he was issued with a DHL shipment receipt for passport and documents return pre dated to Sunday July 5th because to him (and me) it implied that a decision would be made by that date as all documents are shipped together AFTER a decision has been made. We paid for priority processing.

We did not assume that we would get a decision within nine days at all, but the pre dated DHL that was provided by the VAC did make us think. Over thinking and analysing is not helpful to anyone, however when we received an email on Thursday from UKVI Abu Dhabi advising that the application has been concluded and our documents will be returned (on Sunday 5th as Friday and Saturday are weekend). It seems as if it was decided the application would be processed within a week at point of biometrics appointment.

One anecdotal story isn't representative of the process at all, however my fiance stayed in touch with other applicants with priority processing who experienced the same with pre dated DHL receipts and they got their decision emails on the same day as my fiance, within the time frame for return on the date of the DHL receipt. We have heard people experiencing the same pre dated DHL and then decision made within a week during June.

I understand that Abu Dhabi is generally efficient in processing time anyway from reading a previous post of Joppa's - I didn't know it was the biggest UKVI office/ centre before that.

By no means am I saying that decision times are pre-determined when applying from Cairo with priority that is processed in Abu Dhabi, but it is interesting anecdotal observation for applications in the past few weeks.

The documents will be returned on Monday or Tuesday with the decision, so I will update and either be posting the timeline or asking for opinion on re-applying after refusal!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.